2017 Roster Discussion

50/50 that I believe it but I kind of hope it is true and..... I feel horrible for saying that.

Also hope Honda isn't a DP ...at least not ours. Give me Nasri fucking all the fake docs as our next DP.
Nasri isn't coming to MLS likely, and Honda would be a great signing, I personally disagree with you on that.

Reactions: Kjbert
Smells like fake news so far. He's already "announced" this is his last year, so could just be an official announcement to kick off his retirement tour a la Jeter, Rivera, Ortiz

Fake news.

To elaborate, searching twitter, the earliest tweets I could find saying he retired that have a link in them all go to a Facebook post that was deleted.

Last edited:
Smells like fake news so far. He's already "announced" this is his last year, so could just be an official announcement to kick off his retirement tour a la Jeter, Rivera, Ortiz
Makes sense. If he announces before the season that this will be his last, it's guaranteed that every away game will be packed as the rest of the league's fans will want to see him play.

And his merchandising sales will be through the roof.

If you aren't getting better, you're getting worse. Especially in a league going through rapid growth.

Plus, what about depth?
That is a statement you can certainly make, but you need to be economical. We have a finite number of resources and we have a couple of much bigger positional issues than at LW.

I expect our young talent to better than they were last year. Shelton and T Mac were both better than the year before. Harrison progressed nicely as well from the start of the season to the end. This is a group that with Villa & Mendoza led the league in scoring. Do we need depth and someone to replace Mendoza? Sure but we shouldn't be shelling out starters money if we don't have to.

Like I said before, I would also be fine if we get DP winger. I want the best DP available that CFG can afford. I don't really care who it is as long as they are not an old timer, a defender, or a GK.

But if we don't get a DP winger those finite resources need to be spent elsewhere. We currently do not have a midfield besides Pirlo (maybe), Mikey Lopez (yikes), and some guy who is making 750k but doesn't play. We need a backup LB for the inevitable Mata international duty stint and injury. We also saw last year the need to have a third CB that can play out of the back.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
This is completely out of left field. So we'll have one DP going into 2017? It's like the start of 2015 all over again...

I'd like some clarity on all of this by Tuesday.

So Honda now and Khedira in the summer?
We could still do both and have Khedira come on for a TAM deal that elevates to a DP deal next season like the Galaxy did with De Jong.

Makes sense. If he announces before the season that this will be his last, it's guaranteed that every away game will be packed as the rest of the league's fans will want to see him play.

Deter Jeter clap clap clap clap clap

Andrea Pirlo clap clap clap clap clap

Calling it now, Pirlo gets a game winning free kick in the final seconds of the last home game of the regular season.

Reactions: NYdoesitEZ

This is my thinking. Most likely, it is just a rumor. To the extent there is anything there, it is most likely what we already suspect - that this is his final season.

I thought about doing Guess the Away Attendance threads this year as well. Looks like this gives it a better reason to do so.

Nasri isn't coming to MLS likely, and Honda would be a great signing, I personally disagree with you on that.
giphy.gif
never say never

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/02/andrea-pirlo-posts-fireball-photo-hes-not-riding-sunset

"But just like any great piece of art, this post elicited some differing interpretations. Some on social media took it to mean that Pirlo was riding off into the sunset and hanging up his boots in 2017, a suggestion that was immediately dismissed by NYCFC when the club was contacted by MLSsoccer.com."

Holy shit. The club actually responded to a question by media? Damn.

Though, based on this answer, he's not retiring after the end of this season. Are they looking to resign him? Or will be go to another team in the world?

Again, this offseason has had more questions than answers.

Last edited:
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/02/andrea-pirlo-posts-fireball-photo-hes-not-riding-sunset

But just like any great piece of art, this post elicited some differing interpretations. Some on social media took it to mean that Pirlo was riding off into the sunset and hanging up his boots in 2017, a suggestion that was immediately dismissed by NYCFC when the club was contacted by MLSsoccer.com.

Holy shit. The club actually responded to a question by media? Damn.

Though, based on this answer, he's not retiring after the end of this season. Are they looking to resign him? Or will be go to another team in the world?

Again, this offseason has had more questions than answers.
This is one of the strangest offseasons for any club I've followed thus far. There's been zero coming from the FO. The moves that were made were to everyone's surprise and no one heard a thing until we got an official announcement. The people in the office must live in constant fear of info leaking or something.

This is one of the strangest offseasons for any club I've followed thus far. There's been zero coming from the FO. The moves that were made were to everyone's surprise and no one heard a thing until we got an official announcement. The people in the office must live in constant fear of info leaking or something.
Or everything is happening in Manchester and nobody in NYC (except Reyna and Vieira) know what's going on.

But it's odd because usually even MLS' website starts rumors about impending signings a week before the trigger is pulled. And zilch this year.

Or everything is happening in Manchester and nobody in NYC (except Reyna and Vieira) know what's going on.

But it's odd because usually even MLS' website starts rumors about impending signings a week before the trigger is pulled. And zilch this year.

I think you nailed it. If all of the scouting is based out of Manchester anyway, I'm not surprised

Reactions: LionNYC and adam

Only Pep has the answers...

Maybe we've learned the secret for NYCFC to announce things. All we have to do is report fake news and get it trending amongst the NYCFC community. Eventually MLS Digital will pick it up because they're hungry for clicks. MLS Digital will pull strings with their bosses in the league office to reach out to the club for details which they'll then report on the website.

Isn't that right, NYCFC Intern...

Maybe we're really not close to any signings, maybe our FO just sucks. I mean, we couldn't find a way to sign Tefu Mashamaite or Jorge Teixiera