2017 Roster Discussion

I have another question for you. When the MLSPA publishes salary and cap hit information, does the cap hit include transfer fees? The reason I ask is because we assume we paid transfer fees for Brillant, Chanot and Matarrita.

If that is the case, did we use a secret amount of GAMto apply against their cap hit? Did we not use TAM at all then last year? Fucking MLS secrecy

Well that's another problem. With this new SDP rule(http://www.mlssoccer.com/glossary/special-discovery-player), we now learned that the transfer fee counts only in the first year vs the cap. So, then their salary should drop this season. And we don't know what their transfer fee is even if it does and we see the new numbers, because they didn't have to use T/GAM to wipe away the WHOLE transfer fee. They really make us work hard to understand all this.

Reactions: NYCFCfan and Kjbert
Well that's another problem. With this new SDP rule(http://www.mlssoccer.com/glossary/special-discovery-player), we now learned that the transfer fee counts only in the first year vs the cap. So, then their salary should drop this season. And we don't know what their transfer fee is even if it does and we see the new numbers, because they didn't have to use T/GAM to wipe away the WHOLE transfer fee. They really make us work hard to understand all this.
Your link says the transfer fee can be amortized.

Team also annouced that it used TAM to acquire all three. I think it is safe to say we used TAM on the entire fee for all three players

Your link says the transfer fee can be amortized.

Team also annouced that it used TAM to acquire all three. I think it is safe to say we used TAM on the entire fee for all three players

It can be amortized for the SDP. The quote I'm referring to is:

Normally, the acquisition cost of a player (i.e. a loan or transfer fee) is charged against the acquiring team’s salary cap in the year in which it is paid.

Reactions: Kjbert
Here's the estimated CAP with more normalized figures with the help of dannd23 dannd23 .

I gave Ring a number close to Chanot. His transfermrkt value divided by 2.

I have Callens and Camargo numbers close to what we gave Stiven, Mena, Hernandez..

I just divided Oloki's Transfermrkt number by 3, but he could be $150k or a little higher and I wouldn't be surprised.

Screenshot 2017-01-29 17.20.51.png

It can be amortized for the SDP. The quote I'm referring to is:

Normally, the acquisition cost of a player (i.e. a loan or transfer fee) is charged against the acquiring team’s salary cap in the year in which it is paid.
I don't think that is true for all transfers. I have definitely seen instances of players who make a salary under the max budget charge be labeled as DPs because their transfer amortized over the length of their contract and pushed them over the max budget charge. Maybe only transfer fees for DPs can amortize?

Reactions: adam
I don't think that is true for all transfers. I have definitely seen instances of players who make a salary under the max budget charge be labeled as DPs because their transfer amortized over the length of their contract and pushed them over the max budget charge. Maybe only transfer fees for DPs can amortize?

I think you're right there. And this applies to non-DP players under 27 with over a $500k transfer fee.

Also of note, it's says 1 per team. But not a team can only use 1. So, we could purchase this expemtion from other teams who aren't signing players with large transfer fees.

Reactions: EganSoccerWords
Question for those more knowledgeable than me:

If you had guys that were super athletic (and willing to trek back) you could play a 4-3-3 with Pirlo as the lone holder? From the untrained eye, I don't understand why you couldn't have two athletic 8s playing alongside Pirlo - could be Ring, Camargo or hopefully Ofori. Pair him with two box to box midfielders and you don't need a CDM then. Last year, we lacked athletes in the middle of the park (Iraola, Lampard, McNamara). Maybe we've acquired those types of players now.

Just a question.

Question for those more knowledgeable than me:

If you had guys that were super athletic (and willing to trek back) you could play a 4-3-3 with Pirlo as the lone holder? From the untrained eye, I don't understand why you couldn't have two athletic 8s playing alongside Pirlo - could be Ring, Camargo or hopefully Ofori. Pair him with two box to box midfielders and you don't need a CDM then. Last year, we lacked athletes in the middle of the park (Iraola, Lampard, McNamara). Maybe we've acquired those types of players now.

Just a question.

Isn't that what Juventus did with Vidal and Marchisio?

I have another question for you. When the MLSPA publishes salary and cap hit information, does the cap hit include transfer fees? The reason I ask is because we assume we paid transfer fees for Brillant, Chanot and Matarrita.

If that is the case, did we use a secret amount of GAMto apply against their cap hit? Did we not use TAM at all then last year? Fucking MLS secrecy
I don't assume that. We're not talking about particularly unique players.

We may have paid a nominal fee, or even a relatively real fee, but I have yet to see anything to make me think that was the case.

The guys we've actually "bought" are all of no transfer value in the leagues from whence they came. The "sellers" were all mid table or worse, it seems. So they get to drop their money sink, not risk anything, and hope someone else takes the position and proves to be worth real money.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Juvy also played a 3-1-4-2/5-1-2-2 with 2 STs, 2 Box to Box CMs, and 2 Wingbacks.

I only really followed him at Juve for one year under Max Alleghri. I remember them playing the 4-3-1-2. I would imagine the formations you're talking about were under Conte? If that's the case, where did he play in those formations? Was he the 1?

In regards to the Juve formation discussion with Pirlo, I don't have much to contribute as I very rarely watch Juve, but in the UCL final against Barca, they ran a 4-4-2 diamond midfield with Pirlo deep.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.PNG
    IMG_0032.PNG
    99.2 KB · Views: 10
I only really followed him at Juve for one year under Max Alleghri. I remember them playing the 4-3-1-2. I would imagine the formations you're talking about were under Conte? If that's the case, where did he play in those formations? Was he the 1?
Yeah he was the one under conte but just like the 4312 had Marchisco and Vidal as box to box guys.

When speaking of Juve, it's more of a requirement to be box to box. They are expected to track back on defense. Even the strikers do. They aquire players that can fit that mold. Their listed formations may change, but to them, shape is most important. Compact & suffocating. Pogba is gone cause he wouldn't commit to defense all the time. We don't necessarily need great defensive mids, we just need guys willing and able to play both ways all game.

But. From Viera's stated willingness to concede goals, I don't think his aim is on box 2 box players. He seems to favor the offensive.

Last edited:
Ofori seems like a player with a ton of potential. Would be real cool if he plays for us, kills it, and then Man City buys him for a slightly inflated fee after two seasons here.