2017 Roster Discussion

And with the Ring news, I thought I'd take a quick stab at what our Salary Cap/Payroll looks like. I'm not sure if Chanot costs as much this year since we learned that transfer costs are not pro-rated, unless you use the new rule they just made up.

Screenshot 2017-01-29 16.10.53.png

Edited multiple times due to lazy mistakes pointed out by members of this board.

Last edited:
And with the Ring news, I thought I'd take a quick stab at what our Salary Cap/Payroll looks like. I'm not sure if Chanot costs as much this year since we learned that transfer costs are not pro-rated, unless you use the new rule they just made up.

View attachment 6421
So Poku is still on the team?

View attachment 6423

No way Okoli is at 350K. Ring at 750K seems way too high as well.

Connor Brandt is not on the payroll for now.

McNamara and Allen got raises.

Last edited:
You know Mix IS still on the team?!?

I know, but I'm under the assumption he won't be for long. And based on the numbers above, our cap number is pretty darn close to 2016 with Mix on the roster. I don't think we could even fit him on our current roster without a massive amount of GAM we might not have.

Reactions: Kjbert
No way Okoli is at 350K. Ring at 750K seems way too high as well.

Connor Brandt is on the payroll for now.

McNamara and Allen got raises.

I put asterisks for that reason. And I used 2016 numbers because 2017 hasn't been released. Don't want to just make up a raise for them. Also, I have no idea what we're paying Lewis, I just figured slotted picks probably have similar salaries. They don't make it easy for us to do this, but I figured I should try.

I put asterisks for that reason. And I used 2016 numbers because 2017 hasn't been released. Don't want to just make up a raise for them. Also, I have no idea what we're paying Lewis, I just figured slotted picks probably have similar salaries. They don't make it easy for us to do this, but I figured I should try.
And it quite literally doesn't matter, so you could just write $0 for our purposes.

Reactions: adam
I know, but I'm under the assumption he won't be for long. And based on the numbers above, our cap number is pretty darn close to 2016 with Mix on the roster. I don't think we could even fit him on our current roster without a massive amount of GAM we might not have.

You raise a very interesting question here. Because we don't know what Mix's actual cap hit was (MLSPA quoted it at 760k which is impossible under published MLS rules), we don't know how much GAM we used on him. We assume that it had to be at least 300k a year to buy down his cap hit. But we don't know for sure.

If it was 300k, then we have 460k of extra cap space that we didn't have previously.

Reactions: Ulrich and adam

View attachment 6424

Edited multiple times due to lazy mistakes pointed out by members of this board.

I doubt Okoli makes more than $100K let alone 350. I'd bet Ring is around $400k and Camargo is around $150k

I see you got your info from transfermarkt, but no way given the league salary structure.

You raise a very interesting question here. Because we don't know what Mix's actual cap hit was (MLSPA quoted it at 760k which is impossible under published MLS rules), we don't know how much GAM we used on him. We assume that it had to be at least 300k a year to buy down his cap hit. But we don't know for sure.

If it was 300k, then we have 460k of extra cap space that we didn't have previously.

That's why I do this each year. Last year our payroll was around $21.1mm and $4.47mm for our top 20 players. The cap was $3.66mm. So, we had to be using around $800k in GAM/TAM.

This year (before Ofori) we are at $15.1mm & $4.5mm (if trasfermarkt is close to accurate). Same $800,000 in GAM/TAM. Interesting.

Reactions: Kjbert
I doubt Okoli makes more than $100K let alone 350. I'd bet Ring is around $400k and Camargo is around $150k

I see you got your info from transfermarkt, but no way given the league salary structure.

Those sound like more accurate number based on MLS salaries in general. We'll learn mid-season I guess.

EDIT:
If I'm going to guess:
Ring $366,000
Camargo $210,000
Okoli $165,000

Should we start a guess their salary thread?

If Ring is making $400k, can I change my vote to him being the villain this year? He better be what we hoped Mix would be for that kind of money.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Those sound like more accurate number based on MLS salaries in general. We'll learn mid-season I guess.

I think the number you got off transfermarkt was their transfer value. General rule of thumb I've used is the transfer value divided by the years on the contract is the salary. So if Ring is on a three year, he'd be making $250K. Makes the numbers for Okoli and Camargo seem more likely assuming they are on 2-3 year contracts.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
I think the number you got off transfermarkt was their transfer value. General rule of thumb I've used is the transfer value divided by the years on the contract is the salary. So if Ring is on a three year, he'd be making $250K. Makes the numbers for Okoli and Camargo seem more likely assuming they are on 2-3 year contracts.

I like that math, and it makes more sense. I'll adjust it to match those numbers. And it will give us a better rough idea of where we are cap wise.

Reactions: dannd23 and Kjbert
That's why I do this each year. Last year our payroll was around $21.1mm and $4.47mm for our top 20 players. The cap was $3.66mm. So, we had to be using around $800k in GAM/TAM.

This year (before Ofori) we are at $15.1mm & $4.5mm (if trasfermarkt is close to accurate). Same $800,000 in GAM/TAM. Interesting.

I have another question for you. When the MLSPA publishes salary and cap hit information, does the cap hit include transfer fees? The reason I ask is because we assume we paid transfer fees for Brillant, Chanot and Matarrita.

If that is the case, did we use a secret amount of GAMto apply against their cap hit? Did we not use TAM at all then last year? Fucking MLS secrecy