2017 Summer Signings

So something has to be announced today right? or at least some info needs to start leaking if there are going to be any transfers right?

Reactions: Kjbert
So something has to be announced today right? or at least some info needs to start leaking if there are going to be any transfers right?

Not necessarily. Paperwork behind the scenes has to be done by end-of-day tomorrow, except if a player is completely out of contract, in which case they can be added whenever. Regardless of when paperwork is completed, it is up to the team when to announce the transfer publicly.

Transfers/trades are coming out fast and furious, Boswell from DCU to Atlanta to shore up the back announced earlier today

NYCFC is going to have to part with a Shelton or Tommy Mac to get someone (or a boatload of TAM to then get someone)

Get rid of TMac and Shelton and get us some fullbacks.
That's tricky because any "starter" quality player we bring in will need to pick up the system immediately, and on defense that's hard. I think we're going to try to bring in depth players that can sub on depending on game-flow, and we're in dire need of wing attackers (the easiest position to tactically add midseason). Plus, we have very little to offer, TMac & Shelton are the players with the most value, but they don't command that much (or they'd be starters); the other possibility is to package some Garber $$ with one/both of them, but then we deplete our ability to bring in a higher value player.

I think our best play is getting rid of TMac, even if we get nothing in return (like what DC is doing to clear Cap room). Shelton has positives that we can use to exploit an opponent when chasing a goal, so I'd hang on to him longer.

WE'VE GOT A RUMOR PEOPLE!

This says he'll be in Torque (CFG Club in Uruguay until December) and then NYCFC.

Listed for 350K and plays CB and RB. https://www.transfermarkt.com/nahuel-ferraresi/profil/spieler/466336

Nice. And he's 18 years old. Room to grow.

Wonder how cleanly he could slot in at RB.

If we are parking him in Uruguay until December, either we don't have the budget to bring him in (which means we don't have much) or he's still coming up the learning curve.

That's tricky because any "starter" quality player we bring in will need to pick up the system immediately, and on defense that's hard. I think we're going to try to bring in depth players that can sub on depending on game-flow, and we're in dire need of wing attackers (the easiest position to tactically add midseason). Plus, we have very little to offer, TMac & Shelton are the players with the most value, but they don't command that much (or they'd be starters); the other possibility is to package some Garber $$ with one/both of them, but then we deplete our ability to bring in a higher value player.

I think our best play is getting rid of TMac, even if we get nothing in return (like what DC is doing to clear Cap room). Shelton has positives that we can use to exploit an opponent when chasing a goal, so I'd hang on to him longer.

If all we do is get rid of TMac and/or Shelton for a winger, than I don't think we do much better than TMac or Shelton. Those guys are solid backups. They do exactly what we need them to do.

The trade we discussed for a while was getting rid of one of them for a back, so that we would trade out of a deeper position for one with less depth. Right now, we have Wallace, Harrison, TMac, Shelton, and Lewis who can play the wing, plus Okoli in a pinch. That spot took a hit when Camargo went down, but it has bounced back with the return of Shelton and the emergence of Lewis. Not sure we need more than 2 quality starters and 2 quality backups there.

18yo CB/RB from Venezuela/Argentina (dual nationality)

edit: the translation says that he'd go to our team in Uruguay until December and then to us. Unless that's wrong, not the player we're hoping for today.
There's a chance he's moved to NYC earlier, I assume that would have to do with cap space and his visa getting done before Wednesday.

Reactions: sundance and Kjbert

edit: the translation says that he'd go to our team in Uruguay until December and then to us. Unless that's wrong, not the player we're hoping for today.

And Torque is a club in the Uruguayan 2nd division, so as much as I respect and admire Uruguayan football, this kid is still green.

If all we do is get rid of TMac and/or Shelton for a winger, than I don't think we do much better than TMac or Shelton. Those guys are solid backups. They do exactly what we need them to do.

The trade we discussed for a while was getting rid of one of them for a back, so that we would trade out of a deeper position for one with less depth. Right now, we have Wallace, Harrison, TMac, Shelton, and Lewis who can play the wing, plus Okoli in a pinch. That spot took a hit when Camargo went down, but it has bounced back with the return of Shelton and the emergence of Lewis. Not sure we need more than 2 quality starters and 2 quality backups there.
You keep saying TMac can play the wing. Yet I've never seen it.

There's a chance he's moved to NYC earlier, I assume that would have to do with cap space and his visa getting done before Wednesday.

Does he just have to be signed with MLS by Wednesday night and visa issues could be worked out. Non-player trades can still happen after the deadline so we can trade international spots or draft picks for GAM/TAM that's needed.

He played with Herrera on the u-20 World Cup team. Here's hoping that this is part of the campaign to keep Yangel around next year.