2017 Summer Signings

Theory:

Could NYCFC be waiting until the end of the window to sign players because new money rules will take place. Didn't MLS announce TAM midseason two years ago and also raise the level last year during the summer - coinciding with their Board of Governors meeting?

Every team had to know if money rules were being voted on, so the reason I can think of that other teams have already pulled the trigger, without waiting, is that they had ground to make up and needed help immediately. Maybe NYCFC feels they can wait longer to add a bigger piece or two rather than immediate smaller pieces while running out of roster space??? The FO has said they're active in the market, so could they be negotiating with the intent to get all the ducks lined up for the CAP raise announcement and then pull the trigger?

The theory all goes to hell if MLS doesn't announce a CAP expansion in the next few days....

Yesterday Garber made it sound like they were going to wait until 2018 to start adding GAM/TAM:

Better to take time than to rush into it.

I also suspect we have little room in our salary budget, so it's going to be hard to make a significant move. Just an educated guess.

^This

I believe that we don't really have any room for additions without shipping someone out. My guess is that they're planning to make their big move once Pirlo's contract is up.

My biggest gripe with this cap is that you're basically screwed if you're hit by the injury bug.

For sure, it sounds like this new deal will alleviate some of those limitations. I think we're really unfortunate right now that our injuries are effecting both our starters AND our bench/role players so that really handcuffs what Viera can do.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
But 'PV said' is a bit different than 'I'm hearing'

By typical journalistic standards I'd agree, unfortunately Araos has proven multiple times he doesn't follow such standards. If he's as careless with his word choices as he is with validating info before he puts it out I'd place little weight in in the nuance between 'PV said' and 'I'm hearing'.

By typical journalistic standards I'd agree, unfortunately Araos has proven multiple times he doesn't follow such standards. If he's as careless with his word choices as he is with validating info before he puts it out I'd place little weight in in the nuance between 'PV said' and 'I'm hearing'.

That's not nuance. That's core to the fact he's presenting. Either PV knows we will be adding people, or he's frustrated with the front office and is trying to put some pressure publicly on them to pull the trigger on some players.

I'm still guessing at least one of our additions will be a young Venezuelan fullback. There are probably less eyes on that negotiation pipeline than there would be if we were trying to raid Europe.

In the next few days, I'm expecting someone to post a screenshot from the Instagram accounts of Caracas FC or Zamora wishing luck one of their players with the last name of Hernandez who's departing for New York. That's how we'll find out. Book it.

That's not nuance. That's core the the fact he's presenting. Either PV knows we will be adding people, or he's frustrated with the front office and is trying to put some pressure publicly on them to pull the trigger on some players.

I'm still guessing at least one of our additions will be a young Venezuelan fullback. There are probably less eyes on that negotiation pipeline than there would be if we were trying to raid Europe.

Yes, nuance may have been you wrong word but a typical journalist would only say "PV said" if they themselves had heard those words directly from PV. In that case they would typically place it in a quote from PV. I'm so cynical of Araos based on some of his previous nonsense I'm not about to trust that he wouldn't print PV said even if the info had come through a chain of multiple people. The guys a hack.

I think Aaros is just passing along what he heard from Coach V. I don't find him all that informative or reliable, but this is pretty clear. He heard Patrick say it, and he is telling us.

I think Aaros is just passing along what he heard from Coach V. I don't find him all that informative or reliable, but this is pretty clear. He heard Patrick say it, and he is telling us.

I'll drop it after this because maybe I'm being too picky but he's a reporter so why does he never provide quotes? Since when does a reporter get a good quote from someone like PV and rather than printing the quote publishes the information by saying so and so said. It's just shoddy reporting to me. Give us the direct PV quote so we can dissect the words, especially at a time when we're desperate for some transfer info.

This:

Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 3.48.44 PM.png

Vs This:

Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 3.52.40 PM.png

I'll drop it after this because maybe I'm being too picky but he's a reporter so why does he never provide quotes? Since when does a reporter get a good quote from someone like PV and rather than printing the quote publishes the information by saying so and so said. It's just shoddy reporting to me. Give us the direct PV quote so we can dissect the words, especially at a time when we're desperate for some transfer info.

This:

View attachment 7332

Vs This:

View attachment 7333
I hope he's playing "only one of these is true" with his alleged statements about adding players and still trusting Pirlo.

Reactions: gbservis and Ulrich

This:

View attachment 7332

Vs This:

View attachment 7333

As someone who's reported before on other sports, sometimes you can provide the information more succinctly and in an easier-to-digest way by paraphrasing instead of quoting. Especially on Twitter, with the 140-character limit, he may not have room for the quote, or the quote itself may not be as interesting as the information. We've all heard how Patrick talks in circles and uses 20 words when 5 will do -- the information may be more interesting than the raw quote.

Patrick said something. Christian reported what the coach said. I see nothing wrong with what he did in this instance. Also, just because PV said he's "hoping" to add 2-3 players doesn't mean they will, so if the transfer window ends up being quiet, Christian's information doesn't become wrong.

giphy.gif