2018 Roster Discussion

NYCFC acquired Sebastien Ibeagha on a transfer from San Antonio FC but the fee wasn't disclosed.

Seriously? There was a transfer fee involved. Ugh. Why do we pay transfer for someone likely not to play more than 200 minutes this season?

NYCFC acquired Sebastien Ibeagha on a transfer from San Antonio FC but the fee wasn't disclosed.

That is a very quality depth signing. Surprised he never broke through at Houston. Has loads of European experience in Denmark and I think the lower leagues of Germany if my memory serves me.

Seriously? There was a transfer fee involved. Ugh. Why do we pay transfer for someone likely not to play more than 200 minutes this season?

because its probably not even that much to begin with.

Its interesting that nycfc doesnt mention it but San Antonio does.

EDIT: dont be so sure, we had the injury bug last year......these nycfc doctors dont even know what they are doing some times.

Reactions: adam and dummyrun
DXE8DSdVQAAfJ4y.jpg:large

NYCFC DEPTH CHART: 2018

Striker/Wing: Villa, Berget
Wing/CAM: Moralez, Medina, Wallace, Lewis, Tajouri
CM: Ring, Herrera, Ofori, Sands, McNamara, Awuah
RB: Tinnerholm, Abdul-Salaam
LB: Matarrita, Sweat
CB: Chanot, Callens, Hountondji, Ibeagha
GK: Johnson, Stuver, Rawls

Potential Training Camp Additions
Draft Picks: Bumpus (D), Caldwell (GK)
Trialists: Fortune (F), Felix (D)
Academy Players: Reyna (CAM), Haak (CM), Polvara (CM), Shaver (D), Scally (D), Lansade (F)

We have 24 players. Last year we generally carried around 27.

I think we could use another defender and another midfielder. Maybe another forward. All these guys would be for depth.

I really like what has come together. I think we have a solid first backup at each position, which as we saw last year is critical in this league.

Below was before the Ibeagha signing, BTW.

Fortune because we need a forward and Caldwell because 1st round draft pick and Vieira wants 4 goalkeepers on the team for training sessions.

Well, if the two includes Ibeagha, I think Fortune is the more needed depth option, but I can't remember anything he produced in preseason. So then maybe Caldwell.

But please be Gio!

Fortune because we need a forward and Caldwell because 1st round draft pick and Vieira wants 4 goalkeepers on the team for training sessions.

Well, if the two includes Ibeagha, I think Fortune is the more needed depth option, but I can't remember anything he produced in preseason. So then maybe Caldwell.

But please be Gio!
Or maybe a player that earns a starting spot. Odd to turnover nothing but depth.

And I said earn, not be gifted, because still not convinced Medina is better than Lewis.

This is right. I have been saying since I first saw him chasing butterflies, that he is one of the worst defenders in the league. He hasn't improved defensively at all and, in fact, has made (or contributed to) the two most important defensive blunders in our team's history (both by giving up on the play, which is even worse than the lack of ability). With that said, he has got great dash, and can be dangerous going forward, so we may be able to overlook his defensive shortcomings when he is on and creates net upside. At his best, he is a gamechanger, and makes other players more dangerous as well. But, as you said, when he is not, it's a massive blow. I am not a big fan, but I am hopeful that he finds a way to make me one.
I’m convinced Mata is a winger and only a winger, but unfortunately not a winger that can be counted on to score.... he’s really only that second half spark plug that comes in to change momentum by running frenetically at tired-legged defenders. He’s the guy that can’t be bothered to make the play on defense because it’ll place him out of position to get in on the break on offense.
Like JayH, I hope I’m wrong, and Mata proves he’s a competent defender, but his ole defending vs Columbus and plethora of errant passes, do not bode well on a team that gets punished by defensive lapses.

I’m convinced Mata is a winger and only a winger, but unfortunately not a winger that can be counted on to score.... he’s really only that second half spark plug that comes in to change momentum by running frenetically at tired-legged defenders. He’s the guy that can’t be bothered to make the play on defense because it’ll place him out of position to get in on the break on offense.
Like JayH, I hope I’m wrong, and Mata proves he’s a competent defender, but his ole defending vs Columbus and plethora of errant passes, do not bode well on a team that gets punished by defensive lapses.

2016: 25 Shots, 9 on Goal, 1 Goal, 5 Assists, 1988 Minutes
2017: 2 Shots, 0 on Goal, 0 Goals, 3 Assists, 696 Minutes

I don't think he's a shooter too, more a crosser for assists.

NYCFC DEPTH CHART: 2018

Striker/Wing: Villa, Berget
Wing/CAM: Moralez, Medina, Wallace, Lewis, Tajouri
CM: Ring, Herrera, Ofori, Sands, McNamara, Awuah
RB: Tinnerholm, Abdul-Salaam
LB: Matarrita, Sweat
CB: Chanot, Callens, Hountondji, Ibeagha
GK: Johnson, Stuver, Rawls

Potential Training Camp Additions
Draft Picks: Bumpus (D), Caldwell (GK)
Trialists: Fortune (F), Felix (D)
Academy Players: Reyna (CAM), Haak (CM), Polvara (CM), Shaver (D), Scally (D), Lansade (F)

We have 24 players. Last year we generally carried around 27.

I think we could use another defender and another midfielder. Maybe another forward. All these guys would be for depth.

I really like what has come together. I think we have a solid first backup at each position, which as we saw last year is critical in this league.

Caldwell's listed on the NYCFC First Team page. Is that not a reliable sign that he's made the roster?

I noticed that, and I tend to agree. But, I doubt we are going to retain all four goalkeepers, so until it is clear which one is lent or cut, I kept him down with the trialists.

Four keepers does seem like a lot even if three of them are practically free. Maybe we signed Caldwell to harvest his healthy 22-year-old blood for Villa, Peter Thiel-style.

Last edited:
Four keepers does seem like a lot even if three of them are practically free. Maybe we signed Caldwell to harvest his healthy 22-year-old blood for Villa, Peter Thiel-style.

Not sure why we continue to carry Rawls, he's 26, and while GKs typically hit their prime a bit later he still seems a bit old to be carried as a prospect. He has never been able to displace even our backup keeper to move up to 2nd inline. I'm sure he doesn't make much but he clearly seems like a strange use of a roster spot at this point.

Not sure why we continue to carry Rawls, he's 26, and while GKs typically hit their prime a bit later he still seems a bit old to be carried as a prospect. He has never been able to displace even our backup keeper to move up to 2nd inline. I'm sure he doesn't make much but he clearly seems like a strange use of a roster spot at this point.

Made the same argument at the beginning of the offseason. We all expected him to get loaned out somewhere. But if not, just cut him at this point. There’s no trade value there.