2018 Roster Discussion

Well, it's bad because we are using TAM to keep our roster current rather than to improve it.

It also means that Matarrita is making over $500K now, because there is no transfer fee to pay (unless somehow this involves a buyout of the Alajuelense interest).

The injury means he isn't getting transferred this off-season - at least not at a decent fee. This probably ties him up a bit longer, so that we won't lose him on a free transfer in the near future.

so then it is bad like i thought....does this mean struna/ brillant...one will not actually make it?

feels like we wont get a TAM worthy player now.....maybe someone really was trying to get mata and we did this to keep him instead of losing him for almost nothing

Reactions: Kjbert
Matarrita's new contact is now worth more than $481,000 per year. TAM is being used to pay it down below the DP Cap Charge.

We do not know how much of the rumored $2 Million of TAM was used. We do not know what his Cap Charge will now be, but if it is the maximum, Matarrita is now making what he and Brillant combined to make last year. All of Brillant's savings are gone.

PV also talked about the importance of having two good Left Backs. I guess we're sticking with a 4-3-3
This makes me less excited about Mata resigning. I love Mata, and think a healthy Mata is a big asset to this team...but, this makes him the highest paid left back in the league right? And he hasn't shown that he can stay healthy

The length extension of the contract is good (but we don't know for how long) but I'm not a fan of the huge raise to Matarrita. How does he go from 150K to 450K+? What merits that large increase and the subsequent use of TAM?

If Sweat can replicate his 2017 season, we don't need to spend $450K+ on a LB. Okay, maybe Matarrita moves up to LW. Then what about Rodney Wallace or more importantly Jonathan Lewis?

If this "extension" includes a buyout of the 50% owned by his former team, he does well in the World Cup, and we can sell next winter, this may turn out to be a good deal.

But I want to spend TAM on new players, not keep current ones. This feels like moving backwards in all honesty.

Since he is such a poor defender (perhaps, one of the worst in the league), he needs to somehow earn that huge price tag (pay and TAM) through his and the team's offensive production as a result of his wingback duties. He certainly hasn't and cannot do that when he is consistently injured. And I am not even sure that he earns that price tag while healthy given the personnel around him and the way we play. That's a big money suck in my mind.

Matarrita's new contact is now worth more than $481,000 per year
Actually, more than $504k (or something like that).

This doesn't really change anything except give them leverage to get a bigger fee for him after the World Cup. Of course, that assumes he's not injured, which is probably a pretty asinine thing for me to do.

I'm holding out hope that this use of TAM includes a buyout of the Alajuanese portion. Otherwise it just doesn't make sense.

Remember that we bought half of his rights for $525k and we attempted to buy the other half last winter for $350k. Fingers crossed that this is the case, because that massive salary increase doesn't make any sense at all, especially after an injury-riddled season.

Theory on Twitter:

He had offers with significant salary raises to leave right now
We re-signed him to keep him here through the World Cup
He still intends to leave after the World Cup
We sign the French kid at Lyon

I think NYCFC pays him to write up all NYCFC articles. He's the only guy at the post covering us. He'll put out multiple articles a week on us for key games.

He does soccer, hockey and some NBA, for the Post. Writes up us and Red Fools, along with the Islanders - so I guess he will be at the Belmont hearing (LOL).

He's a good twitter follow, although I am considering dropping for the winter due to all the in game tweets about the Islanders.

Reactions: Kjbert
Love the player and the move if we get full ownership of him. Like it a lot less if the latter isn't included.

Question for the Forums' GAM Rules Committee:

Let's say the TAM was used for the contract purchase and we sell him. Do we only have to get more than his contract to get the GAM allowance or do we have to get the contract plus the TAM costs to get the GAM allowance?