2018 Roster Discussion

His Twitter has been private for a while now. Since some time this summer.

I'm gonna be upset to lose Chanot. If he wants to go back to Europe, nothing to do about that, but I hope not. I just really don't get the Brillant trade if the FO knew Chanot was also gone. If wouldn't be the first dumb thing they did of course, but I would hope they are learning

I will play Devil's Advocate here:

Last year, your CBs were Chanot - Callens - Brillant - White - Sweat

Callens outplayed any CB we have ever had, outside of one bonehead play. Ben Sweat proved himself to be a replacement level MLS player on a cheap contract. Chanot missed half the year and made a lot of money. Brillant played half the year in replacement and made a lot of money. Brillant wants to start. White did nothing.

So then you go into 2018 with Callens on a very reasonable contract, Ferraressi coming in on a very reasonable contract, Ben Sweat on a very reasonable contract and James Sands stepping into the team full time. That's your CB2, CB3 and CB4 right there. James Sands slots in as your CB5/DM2.

The Chanot news is surprising, yes. But maybe they have a move lined up for a CB1. Maybe they will pay this player $1 Million instead of paying Chanot half that.

The Chanot news is surprising, yes. But maybe they have a move lined up for a CB1. Maybe they will pay this player $1 Million instead of paying Chanot half that.
Ugh... I don't like it. His passing is excellent, he knows the league, and he's demonstrated himself a bit of a leader.

If you have all of that, it doesn't make sense to take a risk with a bigger contract. There needs to be some stability.

Ugh... I don't like it. His passing is excellent, he knows the league, and he's demonstrated himself a bit of a leader.

If you have all of that, it doesn't make sense to take a risk with a bigger contract. There needs to be some stability.

I'm in this camp also. If he is let go (read: not chooses to go), the ONLY explanation that makes any sense whatsoever is that this is a CFG move. They think Ferraressi is John Stones at 19 and can stop in and dominate a game from the back immediately. It's possible that this kid is as good or better than Chanot right now.

But I'm with Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan - don't f*ck with something that was working. I thought he was a Captain in waiting.

Going to add one more thing here.

This increase in TAM is really going to fuck with rosters.

Think back to this past season. We saw a lot of new talent come onto a team that had finished 4th and figured we were pushing way ahead of the league - only to see that most teams had done the same thing. The talent level in the league is far above where it was when we started in 2015, and it is about to take another leap.

Our trio in midfield was excellent in 2017. Will that still be true in 2018? or will other teams go out and get their versions of Ring and Herrera? Are our excellent young players like Lewis and Harrison still going to seem as special in 2018 when veterans from Europe and S. America are all over other team's rosters?

I don't have a solid view on these things, but they are all possibilities. Some of the guys we really liked this past season may not be difference makers next year. I do believe that if we just trot out the same roster in 2018, we would be no better than a borderline playoff team.

The league is changing rapidly.
If TMac regressed in 2017 (due to the quality increase across the board in MLS), then he’s gonna be crushed in 2018 with all of the extra TAM being dropped on contracts. It’s not even a love/hate issue anymore, it’s that TMac is slow as molasses and doesn’t give the same effort hawking down attackers on defense.

Is Chanot out? On unprotected list and he unfollowed NYCFC and made his twitter private.
These days the latter two are more informative than the first. Good catch.
Still has NYCFC has his profile pic, cover pic, and in his description. But unfollowing the club is HUGE.
Why unfollow his “last” club????? That is stranger than Fck especially considering how many former players still follow NYCFC and shout out to the club at various time!!! Was there a monumental falling out that we don’t know about, and this is a cathartic way for Chanot to sever ties???

Reactions: Kjbert
Why unfollow his “last” club????? That is stranger than Fck especially considering how many former players still follow NYCFC and shout out to the club at various time!!! Was there a monumental falling out that we don’t know about, and this is a cathartic way for Chanot to sever ties???

Find out next time, on Dragon Ball Z!

Sry man I couldn't help it

It's fun trying to solve the formation puzzle with bits of incomplete information. Resigned our left wing back. Just (allegedly) signed a right wing back. Traded our back up center back, just before exposing our starting center back.

It will be an exciting back four. All fullbacks pushing forward!

His Twitter has been private for a while now. Since some time this summer.

I'm gonna be upset to lose Chanot. If he wants to go back to Europe, nothing to do about that, but I hope not. I just really don't get the Brillant trade if the FO knew Chanot was also gone. If wouldn't be the first dumb thing they did of course, but I would hope they are learning

If the Club knows that Chanot is leaving and still traded Freddie, then I have to imagine they have identified a replacement and are working that out.

Still, I do agree with Midas and others that it would be better to keep him; he performed well and his game fits our style. On the other hand, it may not be up to the Club.

Reactions: Kjbert
Sounds like Chanot is pissed off he wasn't protected more than NYCFC trying to get rid of him. Management wants players on the list that LAFC wont take.

While this is possible, I'm not certain it "sounds like" this is happening. There really isn't anything out there that this would be the case and I think insinuating that this is the case can be a bit dangerous.

While this is possible, I'm not certain it "sounds like" this is happening. There really isn't anything out there that this would be the case and I think insinuating that this is the case can be a bit dangerous.
Well put. I tend to be on the more paranoid end of the spectrum.

That will be a Man City style 4-3-3 if he ends up there. My dream is to play with two CAMs and I think we have the Defensive Midfielder to do that.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
That will be a Man City style 4-3-3 if he ends up there. My dream is to play with two CAMs and I think we have the Defensive Midfielder to do that.
Aren’t they mostly playing that nowadays when they have to leave Delph in the midfield in possession?

Doesn’t look like this guy or Ronnie would be that player.

I feel like we are going to play them as wingbacks. Just a guess.

Aren’t they mostly playing that nowadays when they have to leave Delph in the midfield in possession?

Doesn’t look like this guy or Ronnie would be that player.

I feel like we are going to play them as wingbacks. Just a guess.

One man's wing back is another man's overlapping fullback, no?

In the video I've watched of him, he plays like Seamus Coleman offensively. He somehow ends up in the box make runs to goal. He overlaps the wide player on the right. He crosses the ball from deep in the opponent's territory.

I may have misinterpreted your question Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan

I was talking about Atlanta playing with Almiron and Nagbe as attacking midfielders.