2018 Roster Discussion

Means he’s not a DP. Which is good.
I’m not going to get pissed off that the only way we get a 20-year old good enough to play for MC is because of visa issues.

Same. Terrific if it's a Herrera, skirt the rules signing.

I still want them to go buy a DP. I want a can't miss 15 goal scorer that electrifies the crowd and the league. I want a statement signing. A Giovinco type.

There is really no reason our front-line, the way we play, can't be on 40 goals. Twenty from Villa, at least ten from Harrison and whoever the other winger is. I'm not sure 12-15 is a reasonable ask from a 20-year-old in his first year in MLS, but I definitely think he should be in double digits if he comes here, especially if he's a DP. Also think Harrison needs to continue to grow. I'd peg Jack for 12-15 and Medina for 10-12. Then if Villa gets 20 again, we should have the best offense in the league.

Villa is 36. Harrison fell apart down the stretch. Maxi is a nothing around goal. Our LW is open for competition. I think a good Front Four should provide 50 goals. That's double digits from all 4 of them +

Reactions: sbrylski
Means he’s not a DP. Which is good.
I’m not going to get pissed off that the only way we get a 20-year old good enough to play for MC is because of visa issues.

100% agree. Now we can still sign a DP, which means we not only get even better, it mitigates the risk of the young signing. I was cool with him as a youth DP.

Reactions: Kjbert
100% agree. Now we can still sign a DP, which means we not only get even better, it mitigates the risk of the young signing. I was cool with him as a youth DP.
I would be fine, but the DP better not be some Yaya type signing.

Reactions: ktdNYCFC and Kjbert
Absolutely, but I would want to know that the good young players we have will stay for more than a season or two, versus just being recalled.

I suppose, but MLS isn't a destination league -- it's still getting better, but any young player who's any good at all is going to try for one of the big 5 leagues. I agree with you, but take a look at Almiron -- not a chance Atlanta gets him for more than another year or two. And that's one of the best signings in league history.

I suppose, but MLS isn't a destination league -- it's still getting better, but any young player who's any good at all is going to try for one of the big 5 leagues. I agree with you, but take a look at Almiron -- not a chance Atlanta gets him for more than another year or two. And that's one of the best signings in league history.
I suppose this is true and will be the same for us soon with Harrison.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I honestly can’t remember all of them either (besides the 2 I listed, chanot & lampard). I do remember Ulrich Ulrich pointing it out a lot. Maybe he remembers.
Shelton rookie year. Matarrita. Lampard. Chanot. Saunders concussion first game ever.

That's off the top if my head.
Those plus Conner Brandt.

That’s five plus a definite undiagnosed concussion when Saunders head butted the post. Our medical team does not have a stellar record, and those are just the misdiagnosed/poorly treated injuries.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
What's Better?

Man City signs him and loans him to us. He's not classified as a DP but we get no transfer fee gain and subsequent GAM.

NYCFC signs him as a DP then sells him in the future and gets the transfer fee gain and subsequent GAM.

What's Better?

Man City signs him and loans him to us. He's not classified as a DP but we get no transfer fee gain and subsequent GAM.

NYCFC signs him as a DP then sells him in the future and gets the transfer fee gain and subsequent GAM.

Seems like it depends on what we do with the DP slot saved in option 1. If the answer is nothing or nothing good option 2 seems better because we get the GAM.

Reactions: FootyLovin
What's Better?

Choice A. Because we can still sign additional DPs on top of the transfer. AND it’s a loophole that will keep on giving.

The second choice only gets us that one player and some possible GAM later (after sale) to get the extra players the first option already got us.

Not sure why people are fearing NYCFC losing the Herrera's and Medina's of the world to Manchester City.

While Manchester City may be be the one's "buying" the player, there is absolutely no reason to think MC covets any of these players for themselves. With all the resources available to CFG, and Pep's recruiting prowess - there's no reason to think/believe City bought the likes of Herrera and Medina for their own use (sooner or later).

Pep and the oil money can buy anyone they want. Trust me, they have no designs on Herrera and Medina. MC is raiding the Barca, Real Madrid, and Sporting CP academies' players. No need to raid the Boca Jr. and Venezuelan league academies when you have much better options right in your back yard. Not to mention the much lesser work visa restrictions.

If Medina and Herrera prove too big for MLS they will surely be sold WELL before they ever crack the MC XI.

So basically...if Medina comes to NYCFC as a DP, bring out the pitchforks!

If he can sign with Citeh and come here on a loan and not be a DP/TAM level player...praise Jesus!

Right?

Yes. TAM is OK though