2018 Roster Discussion

NYCFCfan NYCFCfan Read your update and I am just confirming that the understanding/speculation (with all of the qualifiers, of course) remains that if Medina gets an English work permit, he will not be loaned to us?

Reactions: Kjbert
RJ Allen to Orlando for 3rd round Super Draft pick in 2018.

ETA:
https://www.nycfc.com/post/2017/12/18/new-york-city-fc-trade-rj-allen-orlando-city
giphy.gif

Thanks and good luck, RJ. Not much of a return on the trade...

Hey LionNYC LionNYC according to that MGHeinz crazy Cosmos supporter on Reddit, all NYCFC supporters are morally corrupt beings.

HOW DID HE FIND OUR THE SECRET THAT WE'RE EVIL???

- Baseball Stadium
- Yankee Stadium
- Manchester City
- City Football Group
- Abu Dhabi
- New York Yankees
- Yankees Global Enterprises
- New York City

All the reasons why they hate us...

ahhh now i see where this came from...i just saw the thread in reddit about it. in the end if MLS is cool with it blame them they want that CFG money. so everyone buying MLS is buying into that.

tbf i feel not many nycfc fans know about the human rights stuff going on though

NYCFCfan NYCFCfan Read your update and I am just confirming that the understanding/speculation (with all of the qualifiers, of course) remains that if Medina gets an English work permit, he will not be loaned to us?
That's my understanding though I don't see any situation in which he gets an English work permit as is.

If he's a DP on our team for this season and then is gone, I have to question the building of a core, of a continued roster to win continuously from season to season. Or will it be a two year loan like Herrera, with the second season announced to our wonderment after his first season thinking we may lose him.

If he's a DP on our team for this season and then is gone, I have to question the building of a core, of a continued roster to win continuously from season to season. Or will it be a two year loan like Herrera, with the second season announced to our wonderment after his first season thinking we may lose him.

Don't see why/how he'd be a DP if we're not on the hook for the transfer fee.

Don’t be greedy. He’s gone, right?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Until MLS takes off the training wheels, low wage players that don't take up an international spot have value.

The new TAM seems to change the math a bit, as others have broken down, but we haven't seen it fully play out yet. Not arguing RJ should've been our starter in 2018, just that I'm surprised we didn't get 50k xAM or an international spot. A 3rd round pick is essentially valueless.

If Orlando has no willingness to use discretionary TAM or league offered TAM, they will continue to sign these bottom of the roster players.

You are going to start seeing a widening of the gulf between the haves and have nots.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Until MLS takes off the training wheels, low wage players that don't take up an international spot have value.

The new TAM seems to change the math a bit, as others have broken down, but we haven't seen it fully play out yet. Not arguing RJ should've been our starter in 2018, just that I'm surprised we didn't get 50k xAM or an international spot. A 3rd round pick is essentially valueless.
I just see it as a wasted spot. No need for him when you can have Awuah. His rostering would only grow worse going forward as allocation money goes up, and we gave him that new deal last year. Probably would have been an albatross of a cap hit that was just unnecessary.

I'm sure we took the best deal offered, so I think that tells us all we need to know about RJ's value in the coming version of MLS from the perspective of the league's respective sporting directors.

Added in Medina. Also started labeling players "CFG" if we used the mechanism where CFG purchases them and loans them to NYCFC to skirt the cap. Interesting that we have 3 young players on our roster that fit that mold. If we are bound to our expansion agreement of 4 development players per season; that means we only can fill one more roster spot that way this season.

Looking at this, I can see us signing an DP LW and then making Wallace back up Mata at LB. And we really need a backup striker for Villa.

NYCFC 2018 LINEUP.jpg