2018 Roster Discussion

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Until MLS takes off the training wheels, low wage players that don't take up an international spot have value.

The new TAM seems to change the math a bit, as others have broken down, but we haven't seen it fully play out yet. Not arguing RJ should've been our starter in 2018, just that I'm surprised we didn't get 50k xAM or an international spot. A 3rd round pick is essentially valueless.
But RJ wasn't under contract with us. We merely traded away our rights to him when he was on salary last year for $100k. The argument you're trying to make here shouldn't be about RJ, it should be about Ethan White who was on $65k last year.

With Tinnerholm and SAS in the fold at RB, no need to have a third string RB at $100k, when his only positional flexibility is an even shittier LB.

And I think a 3rd round pick in and of itself is valueless, but for some reason they seem to have some trade-value. I think we got great value using our 4th round pick to grab Stuver.

Reactions: adam and joe
So are we not getting a DP?
I don't see us bringing in Medina as a sign that we won't go out and grab a DP LW. I don't know much about Medina, but he doesn't seem to have as much experience as Herrera did when he came in, so I don't think he's going to be a regular starter (spot starter, impact sub, etc.)

In fact, if we do grab a DP scoring LW, I think we already have our 18.

DP LW - Villa - Harrison
Maxi Herrera
Ring
Mata-Callens-Chanot-Tinnerholm
Johnson

Medina
Ferraresi
Lewis
Sands
SAS
Stuver
Wallace

Reactions: Schwallacus
Don't see why/how he'd be a DP if we're not on the hook for the transfer fee.
Latest quote from the agent is that he's signing a deal with City Football Group, which can send him to any of their clubs. So it's looking more and more like a Yangel Herrera type of deal where he may not be a DP if Man City takes the hit for the transfer fee and loans him out.

With the understanding the J. Medina will be a DP, given his age of 20 years old during the start of the MLS season he'd be considered a young DP at the 20 or younger age limit. Thus, his budget charge would be $150K rather than the closer to $500K a DP above the age of 24 is charged.

DPs should be starters and producers on the field. I want all DPs on this team to be 20 goals contributed players (combination of goals and assists). Can't say Medina is going to be that player right now. I hope he does turn out to be a Almiron level player.

Moreover, given we have extra cap space, what's the best use of it?

His contract is more valuable as a DP because of the Cap Hit than if he makes more than $150k.

But he better be fucking brilliant this season or it's another year of lagging the big boys for us.

Reactions: The Toe
I don't see us bringing in Medina as a sign that we won't go out and grab a DP LW. I don't know much about Medina, but he doesn't seem to have as much experience as Herrera did when he came in, so I don't think he's going to be a regular starter (spot starter, impact sub, etc.)

In fact, if we do grab a DP scoring LW, I think we already have our 18.

DP LW - Villa - Harrison
Maxi Herrera
Ring
Mata-Callens-Chanot-Tinnerholm
Johnson

Medina
Ferraresi
Lewis
Sands
SAS
Stuver
Wallace

I don't see much of an experience gap between the two. Medina already has a few caps with the full national team, same as Herrera had when he came. He's played Copa Sudamericana matches at his club level, and in general plays for a more demanding domestic league, and a more demanding NT than Herrera did. So they seem comparable IMHO.

We need production anyway we can get it. IF he comes in and scores 12-15 goals as your Young DP, I can live with that. If that's the case, though, why is CFG buying him?

Why are we saying that he will be a DP? Almost all of the evidence points to him NOT being a DP. We have lots of time to sign someone else.

I think the evidence that CFG is buying him and not NYCFC means there is no need for him to be a DP unless his salary dictates. If that's the case, they could use TAM

Compared to Almiron, he's debuted with the full NT at a younger age. Not that that means anything really. CFG here is doing something similar to what Lanus did in Almiron's case (Almiron signed with Lanus at 21 and debuted with the full NT a month later, Medina is 20 and has something like 2 or 3 caps)

Reactions: Kjbert
I think the evidence that CFG is buying him and not NYCFC means there is no need for him to be a DP unless his salary dictates. If that's the case, they could use TAM
Exactly. So I don't understand the other posts on it then I guess where we seem to be assuming he is a DP.

Reactions: Kjbert
Compared to Almiron, he's debuted with the full NT at a younger age. Not that that means anything really. CFG here is doing something similar to what Lanus did in Almiron's case (Almiron signed with Lanus at 21 and debuted with the full NT a month later, Medina is 20 and has something like 2 or 3 caps)
Almiron had a TON more playing time under his belt than Medina did at this point.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/miguel-almiron/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/272999

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jesus-medina/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/353037

I don't see how this guy could be making close to Almiron wages.

Assuming Medina is not a DP I bet we start the season without DP3 and look to add someone mid season when better players are available.
That is a big possibility. And if that is the case, I hope we go ahead and take advantage of the young DP rule for half a season. Without knowing what Medina would come in on, we could at least leverage it with Mata. He turns 24 in July and we can reduce his cap hit down to $100k for half the year.

His contract is more valuable as a DP because of the Cap Hit than if he makes more than $150k.

But he better be fucking brilliant this season or it's another year of lagging the big boys for us.

i still prefer this than a 35 yr old DP

We need production anyway we can get it. IF he comes in and scores 12-15 goals as your Young DP, I can live with that. If that's the case, though, why is CFG buying him?

to loan out and see if they do have what it takes to be in prem league...if so then great if not then they keep loaning him out and hope to sell to get more then they invested. i do think they are doing the chelsea way ( except CFG owns teams) to avoid or FFP issues and have revenues