2018 Roster Discussion

So he may go to Girona instead? CFG making a decision early in 2018...

weird its the same dude saying he was coming to MLS for a year and now he is going back on that......honeslty at the end of the day we are supposed to get two players from CFG for this year, they decide what to do with him. i dont know girona's situation of they are in need to get him....if he is up there in potential we are prob not going to get him

Reactions: Kjbert
I don't see us bringing in Medina as a sign that we won't go out and grab a DP LW. I don't know much about Medina, but he doesn't seem to have as much experience as Herrera did when he came in, so I don't think he's going to be a regular starter (spot starter, impact sub, etc.)

In fact, if we do grab a DP scoring LW, I think we already have our 18.

DP LW - Villa - Harrison
Maxi Herrera
Ring
Mata-Callens-Chanot-Tinnerholm
Johnson

Medina
Ferraresi
Lewis
Sands
SAS
Stuver
Wallace

I agree with your assessment of Medina, but I hope you're wrong about already having the 18 figured out. The TAM influx this year is huge and we haven't used much of it yet (unless Mata is on a much bigger contract than we think). I hope we go find a TAM CM who can compete with Herrera and Ring. That we can bring in a TAM CAM who might be better than Maxi. That we get a TAM CB to ensure we always have a strong pairing at the back. Even if the TAM players aren't better than our current starters they can give us depth that actually allows squad rotation or cover for suspensions/injuries. If we use our TAM correctly, there's no reason this team can't have 20+ quality players on it.

Almiron had a TON more playing time under his belt than Medina did at this point.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/miguel-almiron/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/272999

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jesus-medina/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/353037

I don't see how this guy could be making close to Almiron wages.

Maybe I didn't explain it clearly. What I meant is that CFG is buying Medina at a similar stage in his career as when Lanus (Argentina) bought Almiron from his original Paraguayan club. Then, year and half later, ATL bought Almiron

Reactions: SoupInNYC
So he may go to Girona instead? CFG making a decision early in 2018...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/dec/20/manchester-city-jesus-medina-libertad-paraguay

Manchester City have reached an agreement with the Paraguayan club Libertad to sign the attacking midfielder Jesús Medina for £3m.

The 20-year-old, who has represented Paraguay at under-17 and under-20 level and made his debut for the senior side this year, is expected to be sent on loan to Girona or New York City FC.

They paid 3m, if the rumors of our 4m offer are true, and he goes to Girona...

Also found this in another article - some insight on who they have down there and where:

Joan Patsy is in charge of CFG’s South American recruitment, having been recruited from Barcelona by technical director Txiki Begiristain. Patsy played a large role in the signing of Gabriel Jesus, who has been a knockout success since signing from Palmeiras and will shortly sign a new, long-term contract with the Manchester club.

German Brunati and Pablo Forte also cover Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and Paraguay for Manchester City, while they also have scouts in Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador and Mexico that report to Patsy, a former journalist who worked alongside Johan Cruyff during his time at Barca.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...starlet-out-city-football-group-a8120126.html

Reactions: Kjbert and The Toe
Reactions: JayH
Okay, so instead of linking to my post that I thought was in the right thread, I am going to edit this post and repeat the other one below.

Medina's father, Francisco, told ABC Cardinal: "The MLS has grown a lot. If he leaves, he will go to New York City for a year and then he will see if Manchester City takes him.

"The United States club had several good players like Andrea Pirlo; I understand that the president of the City is handling it."​

http://www.tribalfootball.com/artic...ster-jesus-medina-4212533#PhW3KjemMDz8xRmb.99

Translation from Paraguayan site:

DECEMBER 19, 2017 12:41
"ONLY DETAILS ARE MISSING"
RENATO BITTAR, REPRESENTATIVE OF JESUS MEDINA, EXPLAINED TO THE 730AM THAT "ONLY MISSING DETAILS" TO CLOSE THE TRANSFER OF THE FREE FLYER TO NEW YORK CITY. THE INTERVIEWEE ALSO COMMENTED THAT THE GOAL OF THE PLAYER IS GUARDIOLA'S MANCHESTER.

"IT IS NOT CLOSED YET, BUT ONLY A FEW DETAILS ARE MISSING," BITTAR BEGAN THE CARDINAL DEPORTIVO . "THIS TRANSFER IS A VERY IMPORTANT STEP BECAUSE IT IS THE LARGEST GROUP IN THE WORLD," SAID THE REPRESENTATIVE.

THE BUSINESSMAN SAID THAT THEY ARE SEEING THE TRAVEL DATE OF THE PLAYER, BUT CONFIRMED THAT HE WILL PLAY FIRST IN THE NEW YORK CITY OF THE MLS . "THEN, IF THE GROUP HAS, THEY CAN GO TO ANY OTHER TEAM IN THE GROUP: TO MANCHESTER CITY, TO JAPAN, OR TO GIRONA IN SPAIN, FOR EXAMPLE. IMAGINE WHERE WE AIM, "BITTAR SLID.

MEDINA WOULD BE TRAINED IN NEW YORK BY FORMER FRENCH NATIONAL TEAM PLAYER PATRICK VIEIRA AND WILL HAVE THE ALBIRROJA EXECUTIONER IN 2010 AS HIS PARTNER: SPANISH INTERNATIONAL DAVID VILLA.
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://www.abc.com.py/deportes/futbol/solo-faltan-detalles-1659824.html

Last edited:
Reactions: JayH
Okay, this thread: Roster/Player/Singing Talk

Offseason Thread: Preseason Talk

Singing???

giphy.gif

Okay, this thread: Roster/Player/Signing Talk

Offseason Thread: Preseason Talk
Name change, Offseason Thread to Preseason Training/Game Thread (or something like that)? It's probably just the title that is causing the confusion. Sorry, I am getting moddy here.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Name change, Offseason Thread to Preseason Training/Game Thread (or something like that)? It's probably just the title that is causing the confusion. Sorry, I am getting moddy here.
This is like the third time in the last 2 weeks where I noticed that some random topic -- which isn't tied to a specific event or calendar date -- was basically reminiscent of something that happened almost exactly one year earlier, but off by one day. Anways, last year on December 21 I suggested a thread just for such occasions:
This should be in the Thread Integrity thread.

If J. Medina is not a DP, I'm starting to think we're going to have the same problem that Pep has in Manchester. A lot of good players and needing to rotate roster in the front six.

Villa, Harrison, Wallace, Lewis, Medina, Moralez, Herrera, Ring, 3rd DP, etc., etc.

That's why it's so important to sign the right players who can play the City system. Rotate the roster, reduce minutes and potential injury over the course of the season, still keep the same performance of the team.

If J. Medina is not a DP, I'm starting to think we're going to have the same problem that Pep has in Manchester. A lot of good players and needing to rotate roster in the front six.

Villa, Harrison, Wallace, Lewis, Medina, Moralez, Herrera, Ring, 3rd DP, etc., etc.

That's why it's so important to sign the right players who can play the City system. Rotate the roster, reduce minutes and potential injury over the course of the season, still keep the same performance of the team.
And I think last year, we saw how important depth is considering the amount of playing time to our preferred starting XI was lost due to injury, card accumulation, and national team duties. And then on top of that, consider bringing in guys off the bench.

"Problem"