2018 Roster Discussion

Mario Mario 's point is a bit of an exaggeration but to be fair we twist DP news to fit our preferred narrative. People are complaining that we are being left behind because we don't sign young DPs and we don't pay transfer fees for our DPs while other teams are now paying fees with RB paying $6.25M Romero Gamarra and Orlando paying for $3.5M Jouse Colman. But "Medina better not be a DP". Would people even be pleased with either Gamarra or Colman as a DP or are they just using the spend to further their narrative? The logic is a bit twisted at times it seems like people are essentially saying other teams are spending (on players I wouldn't want) so therefore I won't be happy unless we buy James Rodriguez for $60M.

I think the consistent theme from the doubting crowd (myself included) is that we want an established goalscorer.

why is there 4 different versions of the mls.

I don't know if you are trolling or not - but MLS has changed wholesale since its launch. League launches, then almost goes out of business before contracting the teams in Florida. Then, they get on stable footing before starting expanding into new markets - Canada, the Pacific Northwest - and the league gains a higher profile. The expansion fees start to get enormous and the bids become competitive. This influx of cash leads to more player investment and you see guys like Henry and Dempsey join the league on big money contracts. Soccer specific stadiums become the norm, not the exception and the league has found solid financial footing.

We are now entering a new era where you have to be a Billionaire to own a team, you must have a Soccer Specific Stadium and teams are now starting to stretch their finances to become world players in the transfer market. The idea that a team would pay upwards of $20 Million for an 18 year old South American player was a pipe dream when NYCFC entered the league. Now, Atlanta is preparing to do just that.

theres 70,000 pages of bullshit i dont feel like reading back so a quick list of 3 people would suffice, 69k of it being lion posting about his favorite twitter followers.

I'm not your mom. Do your own homework.

Reactions: Majik
Would this forum be happy with Messi at any price in 5 years( after the next WC after the upcoming one) assuming normal wear and tear for his age at the time?
My impression from taking this forum’s pulse is no.
I'll take Messi at 40 tbh.

I just hope we get a dp that can come close to matching Maxi Morales, who was probably one of the top 5 signings in the league last off-season without a doubt!

Reactions: adam
Could have also just made a deal for very low transfer payments the first two years, and the rest after year 3. I wonder if that is the reason that CFG only bought 80% of Medina as a quid pro quo for structuring his deal similarly. I will be very pissed if we are spending a DP slot on a loanee that NYCFC is not purchasing outright.

The whole 80% thing confuses me. All the stories I've seen suggest that CFG are interested in - at least potentially, depending on circumstances - signing him to MCFC regardless of where he actually ends up playing and yet all the talk is of CFG purchasing 80% of his rights. I'm not certain on whether third party ownership is banned by USSF but it certainly is in Europe so if there was any possibility of him signing for MCFC then CFG would have to be looking at buying 100% of his rights or not at all. This makes me conclude that the stories are perhaps being misinterpreted and what is actually being said is that Libertad themselves only own 80% and CFG want their whole share plus needing to buy the remaining 20% from whoever owns that bit.

But hot damn! their page 3 got me though a lot of tube rides.

Sorry to upset you but after a series of boycotts by supermarkets, the Sun dropped their Page 3 Girls a few years back...

Reactions: adam