2018 Roster Discussion

The whole 80% thing confuses me. All the stories I've seen suggest that CFG are interested in - at least potentially, depending on circumstances - signing him to MCFC regardless of where he actually ends up playing and yet all the talk is of CFG purchasing 80% of his rights. I'm not certain on whether third party ownership is banned by USSF but it certainly is in Europe so if there was any possibility of him signing for MCFC then CFG would have to be looking at buying 100% of his rights or not at all. This makes me conclude that the stories are perhaps being misinterpreted and what is actually being said is that Libertad themselves only own 80% and CFG want their whole share plus needing to buy the remaining 20% from whoever owns that bit.

Sorry to upset you but after a series of boycotts by supermarkets, the Sun dropped their Page 3 Girls a few years back...

No worries. It’s been a long, long time since I picked one of those up.

And good call on the third party ownership.

Are you not an NYCFC supporter?
i thought he wasn't great yet still scored 10 goals. he squandered a lot of easy chances, to be more specific as to why i called him god awful. he easily could have had a 15-20 goal season. which next year i wouldn't be surprised if he found the net that many times. he is by no means anywhere near the level of shelton bad. a bad jack is still a decent player. my post was quite over dramatic of course

i thought he wasn't great yet still scored 10 goals. he squandered a lot of easy chances, to be more specific as to why i called him god awful. he easily could have had a 15-20 goal season. which next year i wouldn't be surprised if he found the net that many times. he is by no means anywhere near the level of shelton bad. a bad jack is still a decent player. my post was quite over dramatic of course

He's 20 years old and was asked to shoulder the secondary scoring option for the 2nd best team in MLS.

Jack's performance this year was where it should have been for a kid his age. We asked a lot of him and he delivered for 2/3 of the year.

The whole 80% thing confuses me. All the stories I've seen suggest that CFG are interested in - at least potentially, depending on circumstances - signing him to MCFC regardless of where he actually ends up playing and yet all the talk is of CFG purchasing 80% of his rights. I'm not certain on whether third party ownership is banned by USSF but it certainly is in Europe so if there was any possibility of him signing for MCFC then CFG would have to be looking at buying 100% of his rights or not at all. This makes me conclude that the stories are perhaps being misinterpreted and what is actually being said is that Libertad themselves only own 80% and CFG want their whole share plus needing to buy the remaining 20% from whoever owns that bit.

Sorry to upset you but after a series of boycotts by supermarkets, the Sun dropped their Page 3 Girls a few years back...
I am pretty sure that Medina and Herrera are both signed with Man City. I am also pretty sure that third-party ownership is banned by FIFA, but co-ownership between two clubs of transfer rights is allowed.

I'm happy that we're discussing Third Party Ownership. How do we feel about that?

He's 20 years old and was asked to shoulder the secondary scoring option for the 2nd best team in MLS.

Jack's performance this year was where it should have been for a kid his age. We asked a lot of him and he delivered for 2/3 of the year.

A lot of it was also on PV, the scoring slump started right around the time when PV decided to go ultra defensive with Jack and Wallace both dropping super deep and playing a ton of D along with 2 of our 3 CMs rarely getting forward. Harrison was clearly worn down. All that said he missed 5-6 easy ones that he shouldn't miss if he's going to be the player most of us are projecting him to be. But not bad for 20 years old.

A lot of it was also on PV, the scoring slump started right around the time when PV decided to go ultra defensive with Jack and Wallace both dropping super deep and playing a ton of D along with 2 of our 3 CMs rarely getting forward. Harrison was clearly worn down. All that said he missed 5-6 easy ones that he shouldn't miss if he's going to be the player most of us are projecting him to be. But not bad for 20 years old.
Interesting, I didn't pick up a tactical shift. I had just chalked it up to all the injuries after the international break and our lack of familiarity as the pieces started coming back together.

ETA - I feel like a lack of familiarity and inferior ball retention could lead to the things that you saw. But you're generally a tactically-astute poster, so it may well have been an intentional move from PV that I didn't see.

Interesting, I didn't pick up a tactical shift. I had just chalked it up to all the injuries after the international break and our lack of familiarity as the pieces started coming back together.

ETA - I feel like a lack of familiarity and inferior ball retention could lead to the things that you saw. But you're generally a tactically-astute poster, so it may well have been an intentional move from PV that I didn't see.
I think the loss of Chanot was massive. It forced a more defensive posture in order to compensate, and effectively destroyed our offensive cohesion.

I'm happy that we're discussing Third Party Ownership. How do we feel about that?

what you mean? that CFG and not man city own herrera/ medina? and not man city?

it could be that there is third party involved besides libertad. its very common in south america but i guess they still try to do it even though its banned. the way i read it is that CFG/ man city bought 80% and libertad still has 20% of rights....so if and when CFG/ man city sell him libertad still gets 20% of that.

what you mean? that CFG and not man city own herrera/ medina? and not man city?

it could be that there is third party involved besides libertad. its very common in south america but i guess they still try to do it even though its banned. the way i read it is that CFG/ man city bought 80% and libertad still has 20% of rights....so if and when CFG/ man city sell him libertad still gets 20% of that.

There is a difference between CFG and Man City. CFG is a corporate entity and Man City is a soccer club.

Many of us are big believers that only soccer clubs should own a player's contract.

Was Frank Lampard's contract owned by CFG or Man City?

There is a difference between CFG and Man City. CFG is a corporate entity and Man City is a soccer club.

Many of us are big believers that only soccer clubs should own a player's contract.

Was Frank Lampard's contract owned by CFG or Man City?

i mean MLS owns all player contracts and MLS it self is not a club and yet here we are.

in terms of who owns the contracts CFG or Man city...i dont know and is it case by case basis? man city and all its clubs are part of that CFG portfolio....its just the way it is with them. i mean we could not have a club. but i also think they do this to maybe get around rules like loaning players and maybe some FFP as well ( i dont know all details on the FFP but just a hunch).
i dont know if technically its still third party since CFG own Man city and all.

its unique now but maybe others may create llc's etc to have all contracts under one place as well as own clubs in other leagues. FIFA has not said anything on their end regarding CFG, at least not from what i have heard.

That's a good response. I would prefer a clean system where Clubs own players and loans are allowed

That's a good response. I would prefer a clean system where Clubs own players and loans are allowed

i mean yea....but its a business now "modern football" and the ones with big bucks will do what they can to minimize risk etc. this is why many people hate money involved now in the game.

You have to be consistent in your approach to dramatic exaggeration. That's how I get away with it. Just keep at it.
it's quite fun, but of course not all people take to it well, not subtweeting kjbert, i didn't want this one to get out of hand... it would have really quickly

I think the loss of Chanot was massive. It forced a more defensive posture in order to compensate, and effectively destroyed our offensive cohesion.
This is a great point you make. The drop-off in athleticism between Fred and Max is significant, and it makes sense that we took less risk going forward in order to offer more cover. I'm not sure if that was intentional, or just how it played out since Fred also isn't as likely to play a ball immediately into a danger area, so players retreated towards him. Either way, astute point I like, so kudos.

It's the old Benitez blanket theory - feet cold or chest cold? Chanot gives us a longer blanket than Fred did.

Really curious to see how Chanot and Callens partner, though, as I thought Callens was better when he had Fred there as the stay at home CB. That also could have been due to him growing into the team, though. If we get the best out of both, we could be looking at a MLS best 11 pairing, and what I think might be the best defense in the league.