2018 Roster Discussion

I was hoping for someone that might put asses in seats and bring some physicality up front. Seems to be clearly neither one here but left wing was our clearest area of need so I'll take it. Hopefully this is part of some plan as has been suggested to re-open the DP slot next year for bigger fish.

Wow wasn't my first word after getting that email.

Really wish I hadn't watched that tape.
I meant "wow" in an underwhelming way. A Young DP is great for the payroll but I'm not sure we're gonna get DP level production out of him. And I'm not buying the whole contract with NYCFC thing either, this is another Lampard situation where they say he's signed with us but it's really a CFG contract.

Reactions: Kjbert
2) he won’t long touch the ball around everyone in mls, as his athleticism is closer to the league median here.

His first training exercise should be to watch 8 hours of tape showing the +1000 times Shelton failed to long touch his way around MLS defenders. Followed by someone explaining to him how fast Shelton is, so if it didn't work for him it's not working for you.

When Almiron was brought in, there wasn't palpable buzz about him as a player. Big European clubs wanted him too.

Is there any buzz about this kid?

Reactions: Christopher Jee
When Almiron was brought in, there wasn't palpable buzz about him as a player. Big European clubs wanted him too.

Is there any buzz about this kid?

I saw some claim that Arsenal wanted Medina but haven't been able to verify it anywhere. Just going off the massive differences in the transfer $$ we certainly can say the demand for Almiron was much much higher.

I saw some claim that Arsenal wanted Medina but haven't been able to verify it anywhere. Just going off the massive differences in the transfer $$ we certainly can say the demand for Almiron was much much higher.

That's what I was getting at. Thank you

Reactions: gbservis
Well, I went and watched Medina’s highlights from 2016. I hope his 2017 were much better.

Hivemind is very surprised CFG likes this player. He looks like a U-10 rec league star. He likes to dribble through multiple defenders and shoot. Not sure he knows how to pass. Looks nothing like a Man City or NYCFC system player.

Hivemind was slightly intrigued by the words “young,” “DP,” and “Jesus” this am. Hivemind is over it now.

Well, I went and watched Medina’s highlights from 2016. I hope his 2017 were much better.

1) the Paraguayan league suuuuuuuuuckkkkkkssss.

2) he won’t long touch the ball around everyone in mls, as his athleticism is closer to the league median here.

3) I hope he ate something in the mean time. Too damn skinny.
2017 highlights are pretty fire. Almost an entirely different player.

The way I'm thinking about this is, how does "Jesus Medina + a 350k player (roughly what we save in salary cap space) + maybe another DP slot next year" compare to "whoever we could have gotten for a full DP charge".

I don't care whether that was Emre Can or Yaya Toure, but in a weakest-link sport in a capped league, this seems like a no-brainer. And in general, spreading our eggs between two baskets seems like a solid idea.

Big difference maker is if he can be a non DP in 2018.

But Villa can't play forever. He covers a lot of cracks

I couldn’t see why not, he is a DP because of the transfer fee, not his wages. In most cases transfer fee is paid up front in the year that he is signed, so pay the fee this year and next year he becomes a regularly salaried player, probably isn’t even TAM next year.

Now go out and spend that sweet sweet TAM on another scorer.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
2017 highlights are pretty fire. Almost an entirely different player.

Hivemind sees raw talent. Maybe he can learn to play in a system where the ball moves via one and two touch passing. Maybe the business sides makes sense as it’s a relatively low risk investment.

But those 2017 highlights, still a lot of announcers saying “Medina...Medina...Medina...Medina.” That’s him on the ball the whole time, every time.

He’s not a midfielder. He’s a winger. He could also play striker when the Albirroja Assasin needs to rest.

Hivemind sees raw talent. Maybe he can learn to play in a system where the ball moves via one and two touch passing. Maybe the business sides makes sense as it’s a relatively low risk investment.

But those 2017 highlights, still a lot of announcers saying “Medina...Medina...Medina...Medina.” That’s him on the ball the whole time, every time.

He’s not a midfielder. He’s a winger. He could also play striker when the Albirroja Assasin needs to rest.
Yeah, but that's also the nature of highlight reels. They come through the filter of the preferences of whoever managed to put it together (between what I can only imagine to be epic trance listening sessions). The highlights also showcased good timing on late runs into the box, which is not something you ever saw from a true ball-hog like, say, Denilson.

Reactions: Kjbert
The young DP cap hit should allow us to fully use our TAM. The true sign of how invested CFG is in this team will be how much of the discretionary TAM they spend. If it's anything less than close to the maximum amount it will be extremely disappointing. We really need to go for it before Villa is done. It will also be a massive let down if they save it to spend on half a season of some washed up, crappy work rate garbage like 34 year old Yaya.

I’m waiting for a team to sign a transfer-fee “DP” to a half season contract and then re-sign them to a 2.5 or 3.5 year contract at their normal wage. Speeds up the Cap manipulation by half a season.

Here's a question. Can anyone think of a young high potential attacking winger from South America that also had an interest in playing as much defense as Wallace typically does when paired with Mata? It's possible my knowledge of up and coming players is just not vast enough but in my memory most young attackers coming from SA are typically high work rate attackers and low work rate defenders. Seeing as Mata is about the same who's playing defense on the left side of our formation?

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Nice try, but you’ve still spent the transfer fee in that same season.
Two separate contracts. Transfer fee in its entirety is applied to the first contract because the second contract hasn’t yet been written. The “season” doesn’t matter and your response is invalid and moot.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Here's a question. Can anyone think of a young high potential attacking winger from South America that also had an interest in playing as much defense as Wallace typically does when paired with Mata? It's possible my knowledge of up and coming players is just not vast enough but in my memory most young attackers coming from SA are typically high work rate attackers and low work rate defenders. Seeing as Mata is about the same who's playing defense on the left side of our formation?
Pretty sure Wallace was a defender that was converted to a winger. For him it is natural to defend, or take instruction to defend, whereas a natural winger has a one-track mind to attack.