2018 Roster Discussion

We can argue about whether we are legit 16 or 17 deep right now (I won't accept anyone's argument we have fewer than 16 quality MLS players), but with 2-3 more TAM signings we will be legit 18-20 deep with a TMac quality player having trouble making the game day 18.

Looking for more depth along our spine, especially CF and Mid, but I am sure the FO is seeing the roster the same way.

This might be the first year PV has the players to attack the way he wants to instead of being forced to work around roster weaknesses.

TAM players: 2nd striker, center mid, center back.
Replacement level depth: LB, CB, CB, CM, CM, winger

Reactions: Kjbert and Sabo
NYCFC DEPTH CHART: 2018

Striker/Wing: Villa
Wing/MF: Medina, Harrison, Wallace, Lewis, McNamara
CM: Moralez, Ring, Herrera, Sands, Awuah
RB: Tinnerholm, Abdul-Salaam
LB: Matarrita, Sweat
CB: Chanot, Callens
GK: Johnson, Stuver, Rawls

I woke up and saw the signing via the team's email. I didn't want to check Twitter because I tapped the Man City vs. Crystal Palace game (that's for another thread).

My first reaction was an audible "fuck" as I read he was a DP. I have some great concerns with this signing.

- My general rule of thumb for a DP is 20 goal production as a combination of goals and assists. 10G/10A, 8G/12A, 20G/0A. Doesn't matter, just produce goals. I don't think this kid will get that level of production this year in what is Villa's best year to win MLS Cup (given Vieira's roster construction, Pirlo off the cap, etc.)
- He's a 10. Maxi Moralez is also a damn 10 worth $2M. He's a winger. Okay, we have Jack Harrison on the right with no good backup and then we have Wallace/Lewis on the right. I obviously think Harrison and Lewis should get minutes, so how do all the player minutes add up after the season.
- He'll have a roster cap hit of $150K given he's 20 or younger by the start of the season. So that extra $350K cap we have available compared to the 24+ age DP cap hit is something we'll have to track to see how we use.
Miguel Almiron didn't have 20 goals and assists. :D

MLS counts hockey assists. His actual assist total is 8 according to WhoScored.
If the league counts it then what’s the point of arguing otherwise? We’d have to go back and recalculate everybody’s including SachaK who’s praised for his sheer number of assists.

You say 8, MLS says 14, split the difference to 11 and he then has an even 20 G/A.

Reactions: Kjbert
If the league counts it then what’s the point of arguing otherwise? We’d have to go back and recalculate everybody’s including SachaK who’s praised for his sheer number of assists.

You say 8, MLS says 14, split the difference to 11 and he then has an even 20 G/A.
Oh, come on. You really going to start 2018 with a "because MLS does, we shouldn't debate it" argument? Are there even other top leagues that count hockey assists as assists?

You can go to any site that uses Opta like WhoScored to look up the fact that Littlefinger had 16 primary assists last year.

NYCFC DEPTH CHART: 2018

Striker/Wing: Villa
Wing/MF: Medina, Harrison, Wallace, Lewis, McNamara
CM: Moralez, Ring, Herrera, Sands, Awuah
RB: Tinnerholm, Abdul-Salaam
LB: Matarrita, Sweat
CB: Chanot, Callens
GK: Johnson, Stuver, Rawls

I see three needs for the team...

1. Backup Striker
2. Backup DM (I don’t think Awuah fills the role or Sands is physical enough)
3. 3rd CB

Aside from that, we’re looking consistent from 2017 to 2018 with major upgrade to RB and a question mark when it comes to Jesus.

I see three needs for the team...

1. Backup Striker
2. Backup DM (I don’t think Awuah fills the role or Sands is physical enough)
3. 3rd CB

Aside from that, we’re looking consistent from 2017 to 2018 with major upgrade to RB and a question mark when it comes to Jesus.
Also will be massive upgrade for us if Mata can stay fit, and since we have such a young squad, we can expect improvement from Harrison, Lewis and Herrera.

On the flip side, we should probably plan for a decline in Villa's powers. I'm really hoping we sign someone that we might reasonably expect to grow into a starting striker role, but I have no idea where that might come from. Any chance we see another CFG loaner?

Oh, come on. You really going to start 2018 with a "because MLS does, we shouldn't debate it" argument? Are there even other top leagues that count hockey assists as assists?

You can go to any site that uses Opta like WhoScored to look up the fact that Littlefinger had 16 primary assists last year.
Sure, we can debate it, but what’s the point if he plays in MLS and his stats are reflected by the league? Nobody liked when MLS had the shootout wins, but after the whistle blew, there wasn’t a set of arguments that erupted that the “true” wins/losses were less and teams actually had a series of ties.

You were being flippant to LionNYC LionNYC for the sake of being flippant by using a highly questionable technicality as the basis of your argument. By the same logic, I can’t wait for you to accidentally run afoul of the law in a foreign country (or another state) and claim its legal in the US (or New York) and therefore want to be let off.

Edit: I don’t want you to run afoul of the law, but my point still stands - you don’t pick the rules, the rules are part of where you’re at.

Last edited:
I don't care if they're goals, assists, secondary assists, or even own goals for us. I just care that we get goals on the scoresheet. Because goals wins games.

And my line for a great DP signing is one that puts up 20 every season.

The fact that Jesus is a young DP basically saves about $350k. That’s a quality starter (or in worse case, a Fred Brilliant) right there. Could be a big win.

Now, will Medina’s jersey say “Medina” or “Jesus”? ;)

The fact that Jesus is a young DP basically saves about $350k. That’s a quality starter (or in worse case, a Fred Brilliant) right there. Could be a big win.

Now, will Medina’s jersey say “Medina” or “Jesus”? ;)

His full name is Jesús Manuel Medina Maldonado. It would be the historic, first NYCFC jersey with an accent on it. But after Mix for Diskerud's jersey, everyone should be last name, except for David Villa who has always bene David Villa.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...-paraguayan-attacking-midfielder-jesus-medina

I bring your attention to the bottom of the page where they track our roster. Jack Harrison is still listed as a GA. It's odd they haven't announced the graduation class, but I wouldn't mind Jack Harrison remaining a GA and not having his salary count against the cap for another year.
View attachment 7814
Yeah, I chalk this up to MLS just not properly updating everything on their site. Remember that we had to protect Jack during the Expansion Draft whereas JLew didn't require protection.

TAM players: 2nd striker, center mid, center back.
Replacement level depth: LB, CB, CB, CM, CM, winger
So, question on wanting a TAM level striker. I don't disagree with that sentiment, I'm just wondering if it will be difficult to find a player good enough to be a starter, who is okay with spending a lot of time on the bench. Yes, he will probably be getting a lot of substitute appearances, and probably starting when there are mid-week games, but unless Villa gets injured (knock on wood that he doesn't). He's only looking at a handful of starts.

Reactions: Kjbert
So, question on wanting a TAM level striker. I don't disagree with that sentiment, I'm just wondering if it will be difficult to find a player good enough to be a starter, who is okay with spending a lot of time on the bench. Yes, he will probably be getting a lot of substitute appearances, and probably starting when there are mid-week games, but unless Villa gets injured (knock on wood that he doesn't). He's only looking at a handful of starts.
Unless we develop our First Historic successful two-striker pairing.
But yes, good point.

What's our current US Open Cup roster? Is the rule really just 5 internationals in the entire 18? Green cards count as domestic?

F: Lewis, Villa (1), Harrison
M: Maxi (2), Ring (3), Herrera (4)
D: Matarrita, Sands, Chanot (5), Abdul-Salaam
K: Johnson

B: Stuver, Sweat, Awuah, McNamara, Wallace

The only domestic not listed is Rawls and we are one player short. Need some more domestics, ASAP.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam