2018 Roster Discussion

What's our current US Open Cup roster? Is the rule really just 5 internationals in the entire 18? Green cards count as domestic?

F: Lewis, Villa (1), Harrison
M: Maxi (2), Ring (3), Herrera (4)
D: Matarrita, Sands, Chanot (5), Abdul-Salaam
K: Johnson

B: Stuver, Sweat, Awuah, McNamara, Wallace

The only domestic not listed is Rawls and we are one player short. Need some more domestics, ASAP.

draft picks?

stertzer type signings dont happen until preseason when there are trialists in there.

Reactions: Kjbert
Ugh

You would hope that with new TAM there would be a commitment to avoid the Stertzer type signings.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Ugh

You would hope that with new TAM there would be a commitment to avoid the Stertzer type signings.

i mean we got sweat thru trialists ( unless stertzer was not a trialist, i forgot)

i mean we got sweat thru trialists ( unless stertzer was not a trialist, i forgot)

The signings where we have taken a flyer on someone, as you would expect, have not been great. For every Sweat, there is a Sterzer.

What's our current US Open Cup roster? Is the rule really just 5 internationals in the entire 18? Green cards count as domestic?

F: Lewis, Villa (1), Harrison
M: Maxi (2), Ring (3), Herrera (4)
D: Matarrita, Sands, Chanot (5), Abdul-Salaam
K: Johnson

B: Stuver, Sweat, Awuah, McNamara, Wallace

The only domestic not listed is Rawls and we are one player short. Need some more domestics, ASAP.

There was a rumor that another starter was close to having a green card, assumption was either Chanot or Villa so that should help. I'm sure some of the bottom of the roster filler added late in the offseason with be domestic players just like last season with Ugo, Sweat, Sterzer, so we should be fine. The US Open Cup is fun but in no way important enough to factor into primary roster decisions.

Ugh

Agreed, but the issue with this isn't so much that the cap-space doesn't exist to avoid the Stertzer-like signings, but more-so the domestic talent pool. Who are some of the guys we should be targeting for these spots and how much should we be paying them?

These academies need to continue to pump some talent out otherwise the salaries for domestic players are going to continue to increase greater than their talent as more teams enter the league.

Agreed, but the issue with this isn't so much that the cap-space doesn't exist to avoid the Stertzer-like signings, but more-so the domestic talent pool. Who are some of the guys we should be targeting for these spots and how much should we be paying them?

These academies need to continue to pump some talent out otherwise the salaries for domestic players are going to continue to increase greater than their talent as more teams enter the league.
Do you think the youth teams have anyone else who is ready to play with the first team, or have a legitimate shot at getting playing time too?? I know Gio's name has been on everyone's radar, but is he still too young or not ready to be brought up?

Reactions: gbservis

Was just typing something similar and you beat me to it. Currently the top end of rosters are limited by the amount teams are allowed to spend. TAM and DP slots are designed to help the top end by attracting more talented players from outside of the MLS. The bottom end of rosters are limited by the depth of talent in the american player pool. Stertzer wasn't on our roster because we didn't have the money to get someone better he was there because each team has to fill their domestic roster slots and the pickings get super thin.

Ugh

No, the slots for players like Stertzer are still around. What TAM does is increase the amount you can spend at the top end of the roster - in those spots just below the DPs - MLS calls these "spots 4-7". Before, those were guys making $200-300K. Now, you can bring in a few guys making $1-1.5 million and the $200-300K people slide down to roles off the bench.

What you still need are the guys even farther down the depth chart. Those making at or close to the league minimum who don't always make the 18.

The salary cap only applies to the first 20 spots on a roster. The next four spots (21-24) are for people making the league minimum ($65K) or Generation Adidas players or other players out of the Superdraft. The four spots after that (25-28) are for players 24 and under making the reserve minimum ($53K) or certain homegrown players. The final two spots (29-30) are for homegrown players.

It's worth noting that the whole TAM system is designed to prevent money from flowing down the roster to the more junior players. The salary cap is $4 million; there is now an additional $4 million in TAM that can only be spent on players making between $500,000 and $1,500,000. If the league wanted the deeper part of the bench to be upgraded, it would have just raised the salary cap to $8 million.

Was just typing something similar and you beat me to it. Currently the top end of rosters are limited by the amount teams are allowed to spend. TAM and DP slots are designed to help the top end by attracting more talented players from outside of the MLS. The bottom end of rosters are limited by the depth of talent in the american player pool. Stertzer wasn't on our roster because we didn't have the money to get someone better he was there because each team has to fill their domestic roster slots and the pickings get super thin.

And with the MLS expanding to absurd levels (28 teams is ridiculous), the domestic talent pool is only going to watered down more and more.

I think there are two kids down in the Academy right now who could be in line for an HG deal in the next 12 months. Neither is Gio. There is not a player in the Academy ready to contribute right now like Sands was last year. Only Sands and Gio were Top of Class type talent (at the moment at least).

I don't know where these kids play if they get signed, but Claudio has mentioned having a more formal reserve squad starting in 2019. I don't know if that means USL or an actual USL partnership like the Union had with Bethlehem.

No, the slots for players like Stertzer are still around. What TAM does is increase the amount you can spend at the top end of the roster - in those spots just below the DPs - MLS calls these "spots 4-7". Before, those were guys making $200-300K. Now, you can bring in a few guys making $1-1.5 million and the $200-300K people slide down to roles off the bench.

What you still need are the guys even farther down the depth chart. Those making at or close to the league minimum who don't always make the 18.

The salary cap only applies to the first 20 spots on a roster. The next four spots (21-24) are for people making the league minimum ($65K) or Generation Adidas players or other players out of the Superdraft. The four spots after that (25-28) are for players 24 and under making the reserve minimum ($53K) or certain homegrown players. The final two spots (29-30) are for homegrown players.

It's worth noting that the whole TAM system is designed to prevent money from flowing down the roster to the more junior players. The salary cap is $4 million; there is now an additional $4 million in TAM that can only be spent on players making between $500,000 and $1,500,000. If the league wanted the deeper part of the bench to be upgraded, it would have just raised the salary cap to $8 million.

In my mind, TAM players push down expensive Americans, who push down the Jeb Brovskys of the world to being out of the league. I include Sterzer in the Jeb Brovsky camp.

By the way, NYCFC carried around 28 players for most of the year.

Our Supplemental Roster (spots 21-24) were Harrison and Lewis as Generation Adidas, and Johansen and Rawls making the senior minimum ($65K). Stertzer, Sweat and White each also made the senior minimum ($65K), but were part of our first 20 senior team.

Our Reserve Roster (spots 25-28) were Awuah, Gomez and Okoli making the reserve minimum ($53K) and Sands as a homegrown player.

ETA: Good link to the 2017 roster construction.

http://www.spotrac.com/mls/new-york-city-fc/

Last edited:
Reactions: adam and Kjbert
Do you think the youth teams have anyone else who is ready to play with the first team, or have a legitimate shot at getting playing time too?? I know Gio's name has been on everyone's radar, but is he still too young or not ready to be brought up?
I'm really not sure. I don't have that great of a pulse on our youth teams and really am not comfortable with projecting any of them into how they would perform at a senior level. I could hypothesize, but really I would just be pulling those opinions out of my ass.

But part of that question I believe is also how many minutes do we think those guys would get on the senior team and if that answer is a limited amount, is that plus practice time with the senior squad better for their development than staying at their current level and playing a lot OR are there potential loan options. Look at Sands for instance. He's not going to crack into our preferred starting XI with Maxi/Herrera/Ring there. We've discussed on here about bringing in another TAM-level CM to spell Herrera/Ring as needed and possibly a TAM-level CB for depth. How many minutes do we really see Sands getting this year?

I'm really not sure. I don't have that great of a pulse on our youth teams and really am not comfortable with projecting any of them into how they would perform at a senior level. I could hypothesize, but really I would just be pulling those opinions out of my ass.

But part of that question I believe is also how many minutes do we think those guys would get on the senior team and if that answer is a limited amount, is that plus practice time with the senior squad better for their development than staying at their current level and playing a lot OR are there potential loan options. Look at Sands for instance. He's not going to crack into our preferred starting XI with Maxi/Herrera/Ring there. We've discussed on here about bringing in another TAM-level CM to spell Herrera/Ring as needed and possibly a TAM-level CB for depth. How many minutes do we really see Sands getting this year?
I hope more than the 10-15 he got last year. Ideally, for us and his development, I'm hoping he sees 1,000+ minutes, nearing 1,500. I think he can get 5-8 starts, plus a decent amount of time subbing in. With the amount of people we have going out for international games too, there's potential for major minutes.*

However, Vieira seems like he doesn't like to give younger guys too many minutes, re: Lewis last year. Sitting them to "help them mature" sounds incredibly dumb, and makes me want to tell Vieira to blow it out his ass. Maybe Lewis was a special case??

*Opinion may change based on the next few signings we get.

In my mind, TAM players push down expensive Americans, who push down the Jeb Brovskys of the world to being out of the league. I include Sterzer in the Jeb Brovsky camp.

I think there is some truth to that, but there are still up to 10 roster spots that require a player make very little money or that he be a top draft pick or a homegrown. So, a team has to have a certain number of league minimum types on its roster.

That's one reason I was a little surprised we cut so many of our lower earning players. We had 9 field players making at or close to league minimum last year, and only 3 (Sweat, Awuah, and Rawls) were retained. A couple of those guys had shown they could contribute when called upon (White in particular). I would have valued them above a replacement level trialist, which is who is going to be sitting in that spot. My only guess is that the Club prefers to take a chance on some younger players in those roles, who at least have a chance to grow into significant contributors.

Reactions: Kjbert
However, Vieira seems like he doesn't like to give younger guys too many minutes, re: Lewis last year. Sitting them to "help them mature" sounds incredibly dumb, and makes me want to tell Vieira to blow it out his ass. Maybe Lewis was a special case??

*Opinion may change based on the next few signings we get.
Honestly, I'm not taking PV's lack of playing JLew as a sign that he doesn't like to give younger guys many minutes. Jack got quite a lot once healthy his first year and he was JLew's age then. And then Herrera got plenty of time last year.

I think JLew was a special case for some reason. I know some have thrown out possible "attitude" reasons or others and those are potentially valid. I won't speculate as to why exactly, but I don't think PV sat him because he's too young.

Vieira seems like he doesn't like to give younger guys too many minutes, re: Lewis last year. Sitting them to "help them mature" sounds incredibly dumb, and makes me want to tell Vieira to blow it out his ass. Maybe Lewis was a special case??

Worst part is Lewis showed he was a better option than who started over him. There was a run of games in the back half where he'd only see the field after 80 minutes, and that last 10 min is where we looked the most dangerous. Wallace looked really good in the first few weeks, but fell off the face of the earth towards the end. TMac was never going to really challenge a fullback, but did just enough to score the random curler / cookieburger buttgoal. I've cooled down since last season, but I was furious watching JLew rot on the bench.

Honestly, I'm not taking PV's lack of playing JLew as a sign that he doesn't like to give younger guys many minutes. Jack got quite a lot once healthy his first year and he was JLew's age then. And then Herrera got plenty of time last year.

I think JLew was a special case for some reason. I know some have thrown out possible "attitude" reasons or others and those are potentially valid. I won't speculate as to why exactly, but I don't think PV sat him because he's too young.
I think that PV manages a lot like he played. Most of that is great, but some of it can be detrimental, especially the stubbornness, hostility and grudge-holding. Mix became his Roy Keane for whatever reason. Maybe J Lew crossed him at some point, or embarrassed himself with immaturity, or took off too many drills. It takes a while to get out of PV's Chateau Bow Wow, in some cases too long. I don't think it's a young thing, I think that it's a PVCBW thing.

I thought the stated reason was that Lewis looked lost in practice and wasn't the defender Wallace was?

We have no way of validating the former, but I would agree with the latter.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and JayH