2018 Roster Discussion

I thought the stated reason was that Lewis looked lost in practice and wasn't the defender Wallace was?

We have no way of validating the former, but I would agree with the latter.
For me, I never would have gotten up in arms about JLew not starting over Wallace, no matter if I feel like he should have, because I could see the argument as to why PV did so.

But the playing time for Khiry at the expense of JLew is definitely mind-boggling and worthy of plenty of criticism.

And with the MLS expanding to absurd levels (28 teams is ridiculous), the domestic talent pool is only going to watered down more and more.

Yeah it's still surprising that they have not increased the number of international spots allowed at all. I guess their only justification could be that the academies for some of the teams are starting to produce so that should offset the expansion but it seems like a stretch.

I think there are two kids down in the Academy right now who could be in line for an HG deal in the next 12 months. Neither is Gio. There is not a player in the Academy ready to contribute right now like Sands was last year. Only Sands and Gio were Top of Class type talent (at the moment at least).

I don't know where these kids play if they get signed, but Claudio has mentioned having a more formal reserve squad starting in 2019. I don't know if that means USL or an actual USL partnership like the Union had with Bethlehem.

We won't have to speculate for much longer, couple weeks until training camp opens and we will see if their are any academy trialists like Sands was last year.

I thought the stated reason was that Lewis looked lost in practice and wasn't the defender Wallace was?

We have no way of validating the former, but I would agree with the latter.
Wallace isn’t the attacker Lewis is.

Reactions: ktdNYCFC
I think it's fair to say that the Lewis hype has got a bit out of hand on here. And that's coming from someone who groaned every time PV bought on Shelton instead.

Lewis looked lively in an obvious, crowd-pleasing kind of way whenever he came on. Lots of running, hitting the byline. Got that badass late goal against NE was it? And that goal against LA looked pretty, but was kind of lucky if we're honest. I like watching the kid, but I think we can do a lot better at LW, and that includes early-season Wallace for me.

I think it's fair to say that the Lewis hype has got a bit out of hand on here. And that's coming from someone who groaned every time PV bought on Shelton instead.

Lewis looked lively in an obvious, crowd-pleasing kind of way whenever he came on. Lots of running, hitting the byline. Got that badass late goal against NE was it? And that goal against LA looked pretty, but was kind of lucky if we're honest. I like watching the kid, but I think we can do a lot better at LW, and that includes early-season Wallace for me.
We don't even know what Lewis can do on a consistent basis. he hasn't gotten a chance. He started 4 games and had 2 goals and 1 assist between those 4 games. Before we count him out and say we can do better why don't we give him a chance and he either runs with it or fails but don't count any player out before he gets a chance.

We want POKU!!

The Lewis hype reminds me of the good ole Poku days when, despite clearly not being MLS ready, despite not being able to perform for anywhere close to 90', despite not seeming to have any ability to have any cohesion with the game, everyone demanded he start every match.

JLew has got game, but he is still very raw. Despite Wallace seemingly struggling after his injury, Wallace was far ahead of JLew.

Khiry on the other hand.... have we traded him yet?

Just so everyone knows, there is nearly zero chance EPB returns to MLS to play for NYCFC. Sporting made him a substantial contract offer, which means that they hold his MLS rights, which means that if MCFC wanted to loan him to NYCFC, then NYCFC would have to part with some assets. My guess is Peter Vermes's demands would be all the GAM and TAM. All of it.”

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...t-erik-palmer-brown-manchester-city-elsewhere

Announce EPB.
giphy.gif

SKC still maintain his MLS rights (idiotic, I know). So, we'd have to make a deal with SKC so he could sign with us. I don't see us wasting anything to do that.

I wonder if that's a deliberate move acting on the assumption that the whole EPB move was a ploy to get him to New York, and therefore holding out for a late second payday.

Reactions: Kjbert