2018 Roster Discussion

I wonder if that's a deliberate move acting on the assumption that the whole EPB move was a ploy to get him to New York, and therefore holding out for a late second payday.
I'm thinking they probably just wanted to keep him, so nothing to lose. If he becomes a star in Europe, he is tied to SKC if and when he comes back to MLS. All clubs should be making whatever qualifies as a "boba-fide" offer to players such as him, regardless of where they are going.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I'm thinking they probably just wanted to keep him, so nothing to lose. If he becomes a star in Europe, he is tied to SKC if and when he comes back to MLS. All clubs should be making whatever qualifies as a "boba-fide" offer to players such as him, regardless of where they are going.

Love me some "boba-fide" offers...

Boba_Fett_HS_Fathead.png

I wonder if that's a deliberate move acting on the assumption that the whole EPB move was a ploy to get him to New York, and therefore holding out for a late second payday.

I'm fairly certain it's just one of those weird standard MLS rules. If a player leaves the MLS their last MLS team retains the MLS rights to that player and will get first dibs on them should they return. So no devious negotiating on SKC's end just another weird rule caused by the MLS single entity structure.

Reactions: adam and SoupInNYC
I'm fairly certain it's just one of those weird standard MLS rules. If a player leaves the MLS their last MLS team retains the MLS rights to that player and will get first dibs on them should they return. So no devious negotiating on SKC's end just another weird rule caused by the MLS single entity structure.

That is basically correct. The big exception is if the MLS team sold the player for $500k or more. In that case, the player goes on the allocation list (see Poku, Kwadwo).

Due to the league's restrictive roster and cap rules, it makes sense to protect teams rights to certain players, especially ones that were developed by the clubs. Sure, with DP and all the TAM rules, teams have more ability to keep players, but they are still restricted.
Under MLS rules SKC was never going to be able to keep EPB.

I listened to the NYCFC Nation podcast last night (thanks NYCFCfan for answering my questions).

Chris M raised an interesting question about Medina becoming our Starting #10 and pushing Maxi aside.

I listened to the NYCFC Nation podcast last night (thanks NYCFCfan for answering my questions).

Chris M raised an interesting question about Medina becoming our Starting #10 and pushing Maxi aside.
Pushed aside as in we have yet another DP who doesn't play that much or pushed aside as towards the wing where he is even less effective?

So, 2017 isn't 100% accurate because I think I did this last year around this time before all our signings/moves were complete. But we're definitely trending downward based on roster age.

Interesting tidbit. Players 31 or older:
2015: 10
2016: 7
2017: 4 (before we traded Slosh)
2018: 1 (guess who!)

Screenshot 2018-01-04 13.08.59.png

He has a bit of a resemblance to Alexis

Something we've thrown around here in the past is the idea of buying young players on non-DP wages, and freeing up DP slots every year. It will be interesting what his wage bill is.

If I'm not mistaken, one time per season you can eat all of a transfer fee and not be forced to spread it over the contract?

If I'm not mistaken, one time per season you can eat all of a transfer fee and not be forced to spread it over the contract?

Close, but it actually works the other way around. Transfer fees are generally charged against a team's budget in the year they are paid. The exception is that a team can pick one player at a time and amortize his acquisition costs over the length of his contract.

Special Discovery Players
In general, the total amount of the acquisition cost of a player is charged against the salary budget in the year in which it is paid. For one player on a club's roster (a "Special Discovery Player"), a club is able to amortize the total amount of acquisition costs (up to $500,000) over the term of the player's contract.
  • Special Discovery Players must be 27-years-old or younger during the league year under consideration.
  • There may be no more than one Special Discovery Player per number of clubs in the league (i.e., 22 total Special Discovery Players in 2017).
  • A club may have more than one Special Discovery Player on its Senior Roster at any given time if the club received the additional player(s) via trade. However, the Club trading the Special Discovery Player may not sign a new Special Discovery Player until the traded Special Discovery Player's original SPA expires, the player's contract is terminated, or all the amortized acquisition costs are accounted for in the Budget Charge.
  • Targeted Allocation Money may be used on a Special Discovery Player if he qualifies.
https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations

Reactions: Kjbert