2018 Roster Discussion

Thank you, Gotham Gator Gotham Gator

So that being the case then, a positive outcome of the Medina signing could be that we paid $3 Million for him, and next year he doesn't count as a DP, either because his salary is below $500k or because we use TAM to pay down his salary. Do I have that right?

Which again, is something a number of us (myself included) agreed would be a smart ploy moving forward. Too bad we didn't do that last year with Maxi's spot.

Can someone remind me when the first MLSPU figures drop usually please? Do they do a release at the beginning of the year or only in the Summer and Fall?

So that being the case then, a positive outcome of the Medina signing could be that we paid $3 Million for him, and next year he doesn't count as a DP, either because his salary is below $500k or because we use TAM to pay down his salary. Do I have that right?

Which again, is something a number of us (myself included) agreed would be a smart ploy moving forward. Too bad we didn't do that last year with Maxi's spot.

Yes, I think a team should be able to do that, so long as the conversion is in connection with signing a new DP. There is nothing in the MLS rules as published that would prohibit it, but that's a fairly big caveat. It's certainly possible that it is not allowed, but that prohibition is not in what's been published.

Worth noting that Maxi's salary is too high for this to have worked, and up front payments to a player (i.e. a signing bonus) are pro rated across the length of a contract.

Can someone remind me when the first MLSPU figures drop usually please? Do they do a release at the beginning of the year or only in the Summer and Fall?

I think if you try Googling it, you will see some news stories from last March or April, but I am not sure.

Reactions: Kjbert

I know you don't like Maxi, but I'm glad we didn't do that with his spot last year (though I think we could definitely have done better from a DP-standpoint.

But I think the strategy you note above would be very advantageous. IMO, I think the best approach (assuming current roster rules hold constant) would be to have 2 Designated Players that are consistent, proven performers (i.e. Villa and in the sense of the Maxi signing, but better) and to have every year one Medina or type signing.

So think of it like this:

2018: Villa, Morales, Medina
2019: New High Profile DP, Moralez, new young DP signing, Medina still on roster
2020: New High Profile DP1, Proven DP2, new young DP signing, Medina and 2019 young DP still on roster or sold for GAM^2
Etc.
Etc.

I like it.

SoupInNYC SoupInNYC that's exactly the strategy I am advocating for.

Every year, you bring in a Young DP on a sub-DP wage, clearing the way for another young signing. And now I'm selling myself on the Medina signing.

I have no clue what Atlanta is doing, but they could buy down Josef Martinez and Villalaba this season with TAM. They are paying $13 Million for Barco this week (70% of the contract), so will use TAM to buy down one of those guys.

Next year will be interesting. I hope the Club is saving it's spending ammo for a Villa replacement.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
SoupInNYC SoupInNYC that's exactly the strategy I am advocating for.

Every year, you bring in a Young DP on a sub-DP wage, clearing the way for another young signing. And now I'm selling myself on the Medina signing.

I have no clue what Atlanta is doing, but they could buy down Josef Martinez and Villalaba this season with TAM. They are paying $13 Million for Barco this week (70% of the contract), so will use TAM to buy down one of those guys.

Next year will be interesting. I hope the Club is saving it's spending ammo for a Villa replacement.
Yup, I don't think you'll ever see this team without a superstar like Villa.

Another interesting thing with Medina is his ability to take left-footed direct free-kicks.

I know Villa will/should end up taking most of our direct FKs, but a left-footed player standing over the ball as well should force the keeper to be a bit honest. And if we see keepers are cheating more towards Villa's side, the perfect opportunity to have Medina take a crack.

I don't know what that means
inshallah, in sha Allah or insha'Allah, is the Arabic language expression for "God willing" or "if God wills." The phrase is commonly used by Muslims, Arab Christians, and Arabic-speakers of other religions to refer to events that one hopes will happen in the future. It expresses the belief that nothing happens unless God wills it and that his will supersedes all human will

inshallah, in sha Allah or insha'Allah, is the Arabic language expression for "God willing" or "if God wills." The phrase is commonly used by Muslims, Arab Christians, and Arabic-speakers of other religions to refer to events that one hopes will happen in the future. It expresses the belief that nothing happens unless God wills it and that his will supersedes all human will
So translation into forums speak: "Bless the rains"

Apparently Ola Kamara wants a trade. He'd be perfect to back up Villa this year and be his heir after he retires.
After finally getting out of Kei Kamara's shadow and proving he is a capable starter, I can't imagine he would want to go back to being a backup. And one of the reasons he wants to get out of Columbus is that he wants a new contract and more money

Another interesting thing with Medina is his ability to take left-footed direct free-kicks.

I know Villa will/should end up taking most of our direct FKs, but a left-footed player standing over the ball as well should force the keeper to be a bit honest. And if we see keepers are cheating more towards Villa's side, the perfect opportunity to have Medina take a crack.
That's if Villa lets him take any free kicks

After finally getting out of Kei Kamara's shadow and proving he is a capable starter, I can't imagine he would want to go back to being a backup. And one of the reasons he wants to get out of Columbus is that he wants a new contract and more money
Was Ola on Columbus at the same time as Kei?

Was Ola on Columbus at the same time as Kei?

Yeah, Ola was signed in February 2016 and Kei forced his trade to New England in May 2016.

During their overlap, Ola was injured four games, stayed on the bench twice, and subbed in three times. No starts and no goals. But Ola wasn't that high profile of a signing at the time. He was a usual but not full-time starter at Molde FK.