2018 Roster Discussion

The striker depth is so significant and challenging to fill, it's concerning that we're spending time and resources elsewhere. Expecting Villa not to see some loss of quality and ability to stay on the pitch this year would be foolish. Getting a player that can offer something and that Vieira can be convinced to trust enough to give Villa some of the rest he'll need but neither of them will want him to take is essential.
I agree, but I will add that just chronology doesn't necessarily reflect priority. Surely they know that it's critical we get another proper striker and are working concurrently on that.

Feels more like a Callensesque signing to me. Young player that had some promising potential, had a couple unfavorable bigger club situations that sidelined him, but still has plenty of potential and NYC is hoping he can showcase it.

i mean i say brillant since i dont think he will be straight up starter. if chanot or callens are suspended injured he takes that spot....but there is potential as you said so ill start to lean in direction of your take

Just to recap our International Roster spots...

Number of International Roster spots: 9 (8 + 1 from DC expiring on 12/31/2018)
Current Internationals: Villa, Moralez, Medina, Ring, Herrera, Chanot, Callens, Tinnerholm, Hountondji (9)
Prospective Internationals: Pelupessy, Tajouri (2)

There was earlier discussion regarding one of our existing international players who do not current have a green card would be receiving one for this season. That would help in requiring an additional international player.

But as it stands now, we need to acquire an additional international roster spot to be compliant with our roster.

This signing is a great example of how TAM changes things. Sweet, sweet TAM. No way you are spending this much on “depth” in the past.

Reactions: Kjbert
How many open roster spots are we at now versus last year? We rid our roster of a number of Americans who are being replaced by Internationals

How many open roster spots are we at now versus last year? We rid our roster of a number of Americans who are being replaced by Internationals

there is common complaint that there are less american playing now with new tam rules...while true...thing is do you really want the likes of brovsky's wingerts ( at least later part of his career) sheltons? etc to be in your team?

there is common complaint that there are less american playing now with new tam rules...while true...thing is do you really want the likes of brovsky's wingerts ( at least later part of his career) sheltons? etc to be in your team?

Of course not. I think our team has improved with Tinnerholm in lieu of RJ Allen. That being said, much like the salary cap, you have to deal with MLS rules on the number of international spots. It's never been an issue in the past for us to get them, but I don't think we've ever had more than 11 on the roster at a time. Right now we are 10 and there are two more rumored signings internationally.

I think we're still at a roster deficit relative to 2017 once those two sign, no?

I fail to see how that's a bad thing. If Lewis is the better player, he plays. If he's not, then he's really good depth. This is how you build an MLS Cup contender -- by layering over your starters with even better starters so talented players are left out of the 18 every week. In this case we could potentially be layering over our bench player with a (hopefully) better bench player.
That’s not how a good club deals with young players. Young players need to get opportunity to play or they go on loan to play.

That’s not how a good club deals with young players. Young players need to get opportunity to play or they go on loan to play.

And he will get an opportunity to play -- he has to earn it. If he's good enough, he'll get plenty of minutes this season.

Reactions: COLINMOUTH
Of course they do this right after I update the damn roster list.

Well now we got younger at CB and we have world cup coverage. Hountondji fills in for Callens (if he doesn't win the job). Sweat for Mata. SAS for Tinnerholm.

Comments above are correct about international spots. Let's pray it's Villa getting the green card, helps with USOC lineups too.

Wallace/Lewis - Villa - Jack
Ring (int) - Maxi (int) - Pelupessi/Yangel (int)
Mata - Callens (int) - Chanot (int) - SAS
Johnson

I'd bet money PV NEVER throws that lineup out there for the USOC, but it is possible if Villa gets his green card.

NYCFC 2018 LINEUP.jpg

Also, seeing Rawls is basically the same age as Stuver & Johnson; I'd like to see us cut Rawls and bring in a young kid to try and develop as our 3rd GK. But that's just me nitpicking.
That could be a spot to target in the Superdraft

Reactions: adam
Devils Advocate would say we have the players to go with a False 9 formation and Maxi plays there with Harrison and Medina attacking. Someone smarter than me can tell me if that makes sense.
Patrick really seemed to like that 442 formation basically playing two #10s at striker that press up on defense.

Also, seeing Rawls is basically the same age as Stuver & Johnson; I'd like to see us cut Rawls and bring in a young kid to try and develop as our 3rd GK. But that's just me nitpicking.
You can't develop a GK sitting on the bench. If we had a USL team that would be a different story, but we couldn't even get our affiliate last year to take our guys on loan.