2018 Roster Discussion

I am thrilled with the signings this offseason. We just need depth up top. If we sign free agent Alan Gordon or equivalent and draft or trialist another possible striker I am loving our roster going into 2018. Additional depth signings need to be USA -- limiting the pool of who we can have there.

We are going to have guys who would be starting for more than half the teams in MLS unable to make the 18 on game day.

Well, the best option in the SuperDraft would be Francis Atuahene, Michigan. We would have to trade up for him as he's a GA signing.

We would have to trade up for him as he's a GA signing.

That's how we roll anyways. The CFG Empire gets what the CFG Empire wants.

giphy.gif

All your GA are belong to us. Here, take a 17th round pick in the 2045 draft and be happy.

I am thrilled with the signings this offseason. We just need depth up top. If we sign free agent Alan Gordon or equivalent and draft or trialist another possible striker I am loving our roster going into 2018. Additional depth signings need to be USA -- limiting the pool of who we can have there.

We are going to have guys who would be starting for more than half the teams in MLS unable to make the 18 on game day.
If all we do is what you propose, and Villa goes down, I think your love would diminish quickly. You do any of those things you're suggesting ON TOP of bringing in a "starter" level striking option.

If all we do is what you propose, and Villa goes down, I think your love would diminish quickly. You do any of those things you're suggesting ON TOP of bringing in a "starter" level striking option.

This. Harrison stunk as a Striker. Wallace could try and play as a target man. Lewis is probably the like for like. But there isn't a Striker on the roster

This. Harrison stunk as a Striker. Wallace could try and play as a target man. Lewis is probably the like for like. But there isn't a Striker on the roster
I agree with you, but perhaps Harrison could learn to play striker if we absolutely needed him to. I think he has a lot of the tools to play that position in our formation. He definitely wasn't that great when he did it last year, but if Villa happened to go down for some significant time, perhaps he could begin to pick it up a bit.

Note that I'm not advocating the above necessarily and we definitely need to go out and get another striker to really back up Villa. But I'm not completely certain that Harrison would really stink at striker if he had a decent run at that position. I think he would be a better option than Wallace or Lewis (jury still out on Ismael as I haven't watched one minute of him play).

I don't think we would put Wallace there, a guy who REALLY struggled with finishing.

Lewis perhaps, but in the limited minutes I saw last year, I still thinks he's much more of a winger than striker. He did score a couple of goals, but his biggest impact was getting to the end line and crossing it in. I'm not sure he's physical enough to handle CBs in this league as a CF.

TL;DR - We need to go get a true backup striker. I don't want Harrison there, but think he could do it if needed.

My expectations are low because of roster limitations. I assume the signing has to be a USA player and see a really shallow pool of possibilities.

Its also a difficult sell to get a starter who wants minutes for his career to come in as Villas backup. All of our other signings hopefully believe they can outshine incumbents/other signings and become a starter. No CF is going to think that.

Hopefully the FO does better than I think they can, but I think the options they will have are going to be very limited.

I agree with you, but perhaps Harrison could learn to play striker if we absolutely needed him to. I think he has a lot of the tools to play that position in our formation. He definitely wasn't that great when he did it last year, but if Villa happened to go down for some significant time, perhaps he could begin to pick it up a bit.

Note that I'm not advocating the above necessarily and we definitely need to go out and get another striker to really back up Villa. But I'm not completely certain that Harrison would really stink at striker if he had a decent run at that position. I think he would be a better option than Wallace or Lewis (jury still out on Ismael as I haven't watched one minute of him play).

I don't think we would put Wallace there, a guy who REALLY struggled with finishing.

Lewis perhaps, but in the limited minutes I saw last year, I still thinks he's much more of a winger than striker. He did score a couple of goals, but his biggest impact was getting to the end line and crossing it in. I'm not sure he's physical enough to handle CBs in this league as a CF.

TL;DR - We need to go get a true backup striker. I don't want Harrison there, but think he could do it if needed.
If the team doesn’t pick up a striker as backup to Villa, and Villa goes down, the player I’d move to CF would be Hererra. The dude can muscle up against a CB while winning aerial duels, and he’s strong enough to shield the ball and either turn to shoot or turn to pass to a streaking MF or winger. It’d be an unorthodox striker for PV’s 433, but if the new midfielders can make up for his loss, then he’d be a hell of a player for defenses to try and stop. It’d also put him in a really advanced position to high press the defense and with his range (height/length & mobility) he’d have the CB’s arguing quite a bit.

If the team doesn’t pick up a striker as backup to Villa, and Villa goes down, the player I’d move to CF would be Hererra. The dude can muscle up against a CB while winning aerial duels, and he’s strong enough to shield the ball and either turn to shoot or turn to pass to a streaking MF or winger. It’d be an unorthodox striker for PV’s 433, but if the new midfielders can make up for his loss, then he’d be a hell of a player for defenses to try and stop. It’d also put him in a really advanced position to high press the defense and with his range (height/length & mobility) he’d have the CB’s arguing quite a bit.
I could see it working. Not sure the guy can finish though. Movies have played out and their sequels written in the duration of his backlift. Then again, maybe it will force him to clean it up.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Except he seemed to forget how to shoot once he got himself into the 18yd box

He's also from New York City. But he's Ghanian and came from the Right to Dream Academy and would count as an international.

$400k TAM and 2nd and 3rd round picks to some team to move up and get him. And flip $100k of some allocation for the int’l spot. I’m in.

To PV I say: Coach. Him. Up.

giphy.gif

Not exactly what I had in mind when I said we need a Firmino-type. But he would cover the defensive side of that at least.

Reactions: Kjbert
$400k TAM and 2nd and 3rd round picks to some team to move up and get him. And flip $100k of some allocation for the int’l spot. I’m in.

To PV I say: Coach. Him. Up.

giphy.gif

We paid 250K GAM for the third overall pick. I think you're trade is overvaluing what would be the first or second overall pick.

Reactions: canchon and adam
We paid 250K GAM for the third overall pick. I think you're trade is overvaluing what would be the first or second overall pick.

Yeah, might be much, but now every team has a boatload of TAM so that might increase trade amounts. What we do know is that if PV wants someone, he’ll offer the cash to get it done.

Yeah, might be much, but now every team has a boatload of TAM so that might increase trade amounts. What we do know is that if PV wants someone, he’ll offer the cash to get it done.

I'm going to answer on the SuperDraft thread, just to keep with this actual rumored and actual signings rather than just hypothetical talk.

Reactions: canchon