Striker/Wing: Villa, Tajouri
Wing/CAM: Moralez, Medina, Harrison, Wallace, Lewis, McNamara
CM: Ring, Herrera, Sands, Awuah
RB: Tinnerholm, Abdul-Salaam
LB: Matarrita, Sweat
CB: Chanot, Callens, Hountondji
GK: Johnson, Stuver, Rawls

21 players total; probably 6-7 more to go

I struggled a bit on whether to put Tajouri where he is or classify him with the wingers/midfielders. The press release says that he can "play behind the striker" - which could mean as an attacking midfielder or could mean as a second striker playing a False 9. Time will tell, I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert and adam
NYCFC DEPTH CHART: 2018

I struggled a bit on whether to put Tajouri where he is or classify him with the wingers/midfielders. The press release says that he can "play behind the striker" - which could mean as an attacking midfielder or could mean as a second striker playing a False 9. Time will tell, I guess.

Following up quickly. Here are the numbers/players we had at each position toward the end of last year.

Striker/Wing: (3) Villa, Shelton, Okoli
Wing/CAM: (6) Moralez, Harrison, Wallace, McNamara, Lewis, Camargo
CM: (7) Pirlo, Ring, Herrera, Sands, Lopez, Stertzer, Awuah
RB: (3) Allen, White, Struna
LB: (2) Matarrita, Sweat
CB: (3) Chanot, Brillant, Callens
GK: (3) Johnson, Johansen, Rawls

A couple of things stand out.

First, we are way below the number of center mids we had last year, with 4 instead of 7. We need more backups there.

Second, there are the same number of center backs, but I think we would all agree that 3 was not enough last season. As in 2017, we have players who can move there in a pinch (Sweat, Sands), but we should have at least one more person who can play there full time, IMO.

Third, we have one fewer attacker than in 2017, and that should be a backup for Villa.

Reactions: Schwallacus
Following up quickly. Here are the numbers/players we had at each position toward the end of last year.

First, we are way below the number of center mids we had last year, with 4 instead of 7. We need more backups there.

Second, there are the same number of center backs, but I think we would all agree that 3 was not enough last season. As in 2017, we have players who can move there in a pinch (Sweat, Sands), but we should have at least one more person who can play there full time, IMO.

Third, we have one fewer attacker than in 2017, and that should be a backup for Villa.

Plenty of time for all the moves we need -- last season Callens, Ring, Herrera, Moralez, and Wallace were all signed no earlier than Jan. 27, and the last four of those guys were signed in February. I'm thrilled how many moves we've made early this offseason, but Reyna's definitely still working the phones.

Reactions: Gotham Gator

I'd consider Tajouri to be in the Wing/CAM: grouping of players, but I guess he could be considered a striker too. Haven't seen him play, so can't really say if he can step into a striker spot or not.

Agree with your second point that we need a few more central middies to have a decent base there. I would also like an outside back who can possibly play both sides, just to have an extra backup not worth a lot of money but has a 5% idea how to play RB or LB (similar to White/RJ but more flexible). Similar idea to another CB, maybe draft a rookie or sign one of those fringe guys to be our fourth level there.

As for striker, I think we need two players since I'm counting Tajouri as a CAM/Winger. Getting a Gordon-esque player would be wonderful. Aging player with experience and mainly there for playing 3-4 games and coming on as a 85th minute sub. Not here for playing time but just trying to get an extra season or two paycheck before retiring. Beside Villa and a grandpa, potentially getting a USL guy or rookie from the draft would be ideal. Learn from Villa / Grandpa and then get an additional game or two, or just extended sub time. If Tajouri is indeed a striker or able to play the role when needed, throw out the USL/rookie idea and get another CM.

Points I think need an additional person or two indicated by "X"

Striker/Wing: Villa, X, X
Wing/CAM
: Moralez, Medina, Harrison, Wallace, Lewis, McNamara, Tajouri
CM: Ring, Herrera, Sands, Awuah, X, X
RB
: Tinnerholm, Abdul-Salaam
LB: Matarrita, Sweat, X
CB
: Chanot, Callens, Hountondji, X
GK
: Johnson, Stuver, Rawls

Reactions: Gotham Gator
I don't know how to link an old post (instead copied below), but can I kindly get some credit for this one :)

Jo Inge Berget's contract is up on December 31, he is a good fit for us as a goal-scoring striker/left wing, and he definitely has a beard.

JayH, Nov 7, 2017 Edit Delete Report

You get half the credit. Angela Miller gets the other half because she inspired the search parameters of "has a beard" which led you to this discovery.

I don't know how to link an old post (instead copied below), but can I kindly get some credit for this one :)

Jo Inge Berget's contract is up on December 31, he is a good fit for us as a goal-scoring striker/left wing, and he definitely has a beard.

JayH, Nov 7, 2017 Edit Delete Report
Skol Vikings!

Striker/Wing: Villa, Berget, X
Wing/CAM: Moralez, Medina, Harrison, Wallace, Lewis, Tajouri, McNamara
CM: Ring, Herrera, Sands, Awuah, X, X
CB: Chanot, Callens, Hountondji, X

Updated. Looks like we're doing pretty well. Would like to see a backup LB, CM and CB. It's just housekeeping at this point. And look how young we got!

NYCFC 2018 LINEUP.jpg

Reactions: Sabo and sbrylski
Updated. Looks like we're doing pretty well. Would like to see a backup LB, CM and CB. It's just housekeeping at this point. And look how young we got!

View attachment 7889

man how different team looks after few months ...team looks very different even though good amount of players still there.

we have like 5 picks today i assume we keep at most 2 for squad

View attachment 7889
Nice work.

Yeah, my main concern is that our starting midfield 3 is probably still Herrera, Maxi and Ring. In a year where there's so much TAM floating around, I would expect our rivals to improve.