2018 Roster Discussion

Anyone sure if Tajouri is good enough to be Lewis' backup if Harrison does go to Stoke? He seems like he could play there, but not very sure.
I think Medina would start on the right in that case.

Whether Tajouri (or Berget) would be good enough to be ahead of Lewis as the first option off the bench at wing is hard to say.

Reactions: rbose14
Anyone sure if Tajouri is good enough to be Lewis' backup if Harrison does go to Stoke? He seems like he could play there, but not very sure.
I find this to be the most frightening thing about following an MLS team. We are all excited about our seven new signings. Yet all we have to go on at this point are YouTube compilations, spot posts from pop up locals, and the trust that our scouts didn’t fuck it up. Prayer time.

No way to know, for all we know Tajouri could start with Lewis as his back up. PV has said he wants competition for every starting spot. It seems like he has that this year when it comes to the wing spots will be fun to see which players earn the starting spots coming out of preseason.

Reactions: Sabo and SoupInNYC
I would imagine Berget is the natural replacement for Harrison considering his resume. Whether or not he is any good in MLS is TBD

Reactions: gbservis
I think we're asking a lot of Medina to play both LW and RW. Playing with 10 men may give our opponent a tactical advantage.
I think Gotham Gator Gotham Gator point is that Medina fits in more as a RW in our system than a LW as he is left-footed and PV likes his wingers to cut in.

I agree, I think if Jack goes, that almost for sure puts Medina at RW and everything else gets figured out. If Jack stays however, you might see Medina on the LW, or even see Jack there.

I find this to be the most frightening thing about following an MLS team. We are all excited about our seven new signings. Yet all we have to go on at this point are YouTube compilations, spot posts from pop up locals, and the trust that our scouts didn’t fuck it up. Prayer time.

Here's Tajouri coming on as a 78' sub against Milan:

https://weshare.me/b86f63752e9fcc38/mil_aw_2nd_half_eng.mp4

We've got the same kind of material to go on as any fans, you just have to check out competitions you might not otherwise watch.

I think Gotham Gator Gotham Gator point is that Medina fits in more as a RW in our system than a LW as he is left-footed and PV likes his wingers to cut in.

I agree, I think if Jack goes, that almost for sure puts Medina at RW and everything else gets figured out. If Jack stays however, you might see Medina on the LW, or even see Jack there.

I know. I just wanted to tease him back.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Here's Tajouri coming on as a 78' sub against Milan:

https://weshare.me/b86f63752e9fcc38/mil_aw_2nd_half_eng.mp4

We've got the same kind of material to go on as any fans, you just have to check out competitions you might not otherwise watch.
Thanks. That's my point. Even with the selective post-transaction due diligence, it provides less comfort than in most leagues where you have an independent, first-hand basis to judge or react to your team's moves. It's also part of what is fun and interesting about following an MLS team, as it requires more work to anticipate whether or not the moves look promising, and more trust in your front office.

Thanks. That's my point. Even with the selective post-transaction due diligence, it provides less comfort than in most leagues where you have an independent, first-hand basis to judge or react to your team's moves. It's also part of what is fun and interesting about following an MLS team, as it requires more work to anticipate whether or not the moves look promising, and more trust in your front office.

Fans tend to be pretty parochial. For example, I doubt many Manchester City fans had watched Laporte play a game before this week. I guess at that level you have a better idea of who the transfer prospects are going to be and can seek them out in advance, but we're talking marginal differences in firsthand experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupInNYC and JayH
Fans tend to be pretty parochial. For example, I doubt many Manchester City fans had watched Laporte play a game before this week. I guess at that level you have a better idea of who the transfer prospects are going to be and can seek them out in advance, but we're talking marginal differences in firsthand experience.

Never underestimate the FIFA/Football Manager experts of our time. The way some people throw expert opinions around about players they would hardly be able to watch without a $400 cable package and/or a private jet is crazy these days.