2021 Roster Discussion

Chanot has had some mistakes for sure, but he is still a good CB and he lives for this club, which I think is a quality all players should have but few really do.

Heber - we have yet to see what he can really do with a full season.

Maxi - yes. time we found a new #10.
I really have been surprised at how down on Chanot some folks are. He really has been solid, even considering the mistakes he's had.

The one thing that him and Callens have finally seemed to figure out this season is getting their head on the end of corners and other FKs as well.

For being the “second best LB in MLS”, I am struggling to remember huge plays/moments that he has made, although there is a large catalog of bad ones.

I’m curious how many better LBs there are in MLS. There must be some fanboys on here.

Guy is a starter on the 3rd best team in CONCACAF. And he’d be the best natural LB on the USMNT too.

I really have been surprised at how down on Chanot some folks are. He really has been solid, even considering the mistakes he's had.

The one thing that him and Callens have finally seemed to figure out this season is getting their head on the end of corners and other FKs as well.

I think Callens is the one that had the down year actually

How do you not include the team that just sold their Captain, are shopping their first team LB, have two DP slots open...?

because NYCFC has been slowly sliding into irrelevance. There’s no belief that NYCFC will make big splashy moves to strengthen the team.

The real weird question is how RBNJ is one of those five. RBNJ is literally a low spending farm team.

For a guy who has been bit by the injury bug pretty much every season I'm not too disappointed with the move. I think it was time to move on and the Tigres match just exposed how awful he can be at times. We need a defense first LB.

Always liked Mata even if he had bone head mistakes. He worked hard. Surprised that is all we got for him though. Thought he'd be worth a lot more.

I get it. We have to evolve... but damn. If we don't bring in some solid talent and big name DPs to get excited about, 2021 is not going to look good for us.

For the best, I think. He had regressed quite heavily in the last couple seasons. Add to that his constant injury history, and it was time to move on. Pretty clear NYCFC is completely revamping the roster for the first time in a while. Have to think there will be lots of new players coming in, and some of these rumors we're hearing on social media probably have some validity to them.

Reactions: Victors87
I’m curious how many better LBs there are in MLS. There must be some fanboys on here.

Guy is a starter on the 3rd best team in CONCACAF. And he’d be the best natural LB on the USMNT too.
Not a fanboy, but Joevin Jones, Ali Adnan, Milton Valenzuela and Justin Morrow are four that come to mind. I don't follow any of these teams closely so I can't catalogue their howlers, as I can with Mata, but they are all (except Adnan) consistent starters who are able to push forward on teams that have hoisted silverware. And remember that Mata didn't even consistently start over Ben Sweat. I'd suggest that day in and day out he was good, not great and unless Cincy has a great left inside defender like Callens to bail him out they may be in for some major angst. Mata was not a gamechanger like Tinner, unless it was one of his many defensive lapses, which can't be attributed to poor management, given that they occurred under three different managers.

None of our offseason moves so far has upset me terribly. I'm holding off until I see how all this cash gets used.

Is David Lee turning into a hatchet man?

Remaining Highest Guaranteed Compensation left on the NYCFC roster (2019 $ Salary, 2020 was not released)
1. Maxi Moralez - $2,000,000.04 (DP, $612,500 salary budget charge)
2. Jesus Medina - $870,833.33 (Turns 24 on April 30, unsure about Young DP status $612,500 vs. $200,000 budget charge)
3. Heber - $788,750.04
4. Alex Callens - $664,000.00
5. Maxime Chanot - $650,000.04
6. Anton Tinnerholm - $546,800.00
7. Alexandru Mitrita - $500,00.04 (DP, On Loan)
8. Ronald Matarrita - $420,000.00
9. Sean Johnson - $399,999.96
10. Ismael Tajouri-Shradi - $380,500.04
11. Valentin Castellanos - $274,806.41

Updated...
Remaining Highest Guaranteed Compensation left on the NYCFC roster (2019 $ Salary, 2020 was not released)
1. Maxi Moralez - $2,000,000.04 (DP, $612,500 salary budget charge)
2. Jesus Medina - $870,833.33 (Turns 24 on April 30, unsure about Young DP status $612,500 vs. $200,000 budget charge)
3. Heber - $788,750.04
4. Alex Callens - $664,000.00
5. Maxime Chanot - $650,000.04
6. Anton Tinnerholm - $546,800.00
7. Alexandru Mitrita - $500,00.04 (DP, On Loan)
8. Sean Johnson - $399,999.96
9. Ismael Tajouri-Shradi - $380,500.04
10. Valentin Castellanos - $274,806.41

Guy is a starter on the 3rd best team in CONCACAF.
He was on the bench when Mexico knocked them out of the 2019 Gold Cup. Didn't even sub in during a 120 minute game. He did start against Haiti in the previous game, but I think that tells us he isn't the Number 1 LB. I take your point that he's legit good, and we're not guaranteed to get anyone better.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I get it. We have to evolve... but damn. If we don't bring in some solid talent and big name DPs to get excited about, 2021 is not going to look good for us.
DPs aside, we're poised to spend considerably with our GAM/TAM hauls and the salary clearances Lion is documenting. That's not even money that comes out of club pockets so we will spend it. As for DPs, we'll see. We keep having the same discussion. We've spent big on salary. We've spent big on transfers. And we've spent low end on both as well, with extremely limited success. We need to hit it, and though spending more can improve options, in the end it's a bit of a darts game.

Last edited: