2021 Roster Discussion

Seeing this with only 6 academy players makes me sad because we lose a lot of players after they graduate from the academy and we can't put them in a USL team that we have like other MLS teams. We won back to back U18/19 championships and only have 4 players from those academy team on our team. Where all the others now? Likely in college.

true but not all will sign pro contracts if they want a scholarship for college. And to add to that. Not all are meant to be pro’s.

the whole mls reserve league was supposed to have fixed some of this but no news has surfaced since the rumors of the creation of league surfaced

According to an item in Soccer America, there have been only 4 [presumably new] DP signings heading into the 2021 season. At the same time last year - relative to Opening Day - there were 19. It does not discuss how many DP openings there were last year compared to now, which is highly relevant, but the gap between 4 and 19 is big enough I think it's fair to say we're not the only team taking it slow.

just lack of foresight by the club if they did not make an effort to sign him. if they did and he refused, then fair. but if they didn't even make an effort after the potential he showed during preseason last year.. major fail.

he didn’t want to sign and I think there were questions about his HG eligibility.

he didn’t want to sign and I think there were questions about his HG eligibility.

wasnt he in the academy already one full year? i thought that was the minimum time he needed to be a HG? i know he was in TFC academy too so maybe they also had claim to him?

Reactions: Kjbert
wasnt he in the academy already one full year? i thought that was the minimum time he needed to be a HG? i know he was in TFC academy too so maybe they also had claim to him?

my understanding (and I could be wrong) is that TFC may have had his HG rights because of his time spent there.

the point was made moot when he made it clear he would not be signing n MLS contract

According to an item in Soccer America, there have been only 4 [presumably new] DP signings heading into the 2021 season. At the same time last year - relative to Opening Day - there were 19. It does not discuss how many DP openings there were last year compared to now, which is highly relevant, but the gap between 4 and 19 is big enough I think it's fair to say we're not the only team taking it slow.
According to...Wikipedia, there are 58 current DPs, including the 4 most recent. So with 54 heading into the new season, there's a limit to how many could have been signed. Also, 31 were signed in calendar year 2020, so it seems like there was a glut of openings last year, vs this year.

Reactions: mgarbowski
my understanding (and I could be wrong) is that TFC may have had his HG rights because of his time spent there.

the point was made moot when he made it clear he would not be signing n MLS contract

But should he ever come back to play in MLS, if we have his MLS rights we could get like $50K GAM or something in a trade with the team trying to sign him.

Hope we have the discovery rights for Messi. :D

Aguerro being left out of City’s XI again.

this is why vegas odds has us at 4th favorite to win MLS cup 2021...they all be like this...

giphy.gif

FWIW the folks on the NYCFC Reddit seem to think Heber won't be available until summer. As in at almost miraculous best he returns to the team in May and plays in June. If they're right, and if this board's consensus is right that we probably don't get major additions until the same time, then we're going to have a real shortage of goal scorers the first 2-3 months of the season, unless Medina has some sort of unfathomable breakthrough.
And imagine if Taty left.

FWIW the folks on the NYCFC Reddit seem to think Heber won't be available until summer. As in at almost miraculous best he returns to the team in May and plays in June. If they're right, and if this board's consensus is right that we probably don't get major additions until the same time, then we're going to have a real shortage of goal scorers the first 2-3 months of the season, unless Medina has some sort of unfathomable breakthrough.

Yeah I think summer seems right. He was hurt in September, so June would be 9 months to recover from a torn ACL.

i mean he was our top goal scorer last year for some time :laughing:

Some of it may have been system related but he looked lost before major injury, which is a bad sign for what he will look like this summer post major injury.

How many games has Heber played in two season? There is going to come a point this November, where he will have played in something like 40% of his available games. Exactly the concern fans had.

Your first choice Striker can't be injured all the time. Not in this league.