2022 Roster Discussion

Interesting that he can only make two league appearances under this roster mechanism. Good thing we have the II team, better than an emergency signing from outside the organization.
Do the teams train together with any frequency?
Honestly, I haven't seen it on the YouTube videos, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I'm sure they don't show us everything. And quite a few guys have been going up and down: Haak, obviously, but then there's Jasson, Vuk Latinovich, Owusu, O'Toole, Gedion Zelalem, Gloster. So, there's that.

I'm happy Turnbull is getting a look, though. He's been really good. He may be able to help a lot, right away.

Reactions: 413Blue
Honestly, I haven't seen it on the YouTube videos, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I'm sure they don't show us everything. And quite a few guys have been going up and down: Haak, obviously, but then there's Jasson, Vuk Latinovich, Owusu, O'Toole, Gedion Zelalem, Gloster. So, there's that.

I'm happy Turnbull is getting a look, though. He's been really good. He may be able to help a lot, right away.

has Zel ever played for the II? i didn't think he was getting any minutes anywhere...

has Zel ever played for the II? i didn't think he was getting any minutes anywhere...
No, come to think of it I'm not sure Zelalem has even been on the squad for the Deuce in any game this season. He's been glued to the first team bench. But he has been listed on the official roster down there all year for some reason.

So, maybe we can leave him out. The others are all NYCFC II starters.

Strange case, though. He's much too good for NEXT Pro but can't get minutes in MLS, even when guys are hurt. I'm not sure why.

Taty not lighting it up?

1 goal in 6 matches. i think this is more a testament to how poor girona are at going forward and attacking than taty's ability to finish. he's never really been one who creates for himself and requires a playmaker to find him. girona don't have that.. at least not one who knows taty's moves well enough to make use of it.

still wouldn't consider him "not lighting it up" still early. give it another 10 matches. new team, new league, all that jazz.

1 goal in 6 matches. i think this is more a testament to how poor girona are at going forward and attacking than taty's ability to finish. he's never really been one who creates for himself and requires a playmaker to find him. girona don't have that.. at least not one who knows taty's moves well enough to make use of it.

still wouldn't consider him "not lighting it up" still early. give it another 10 matches. new team, new league, all that jazz.
Forgive my maybe ignorant soccerism, but isn't Taty's hold-up play incredible, which allows lots of players to get forward, and how we utilized him more often than not? Which would sound to me like he would be a significant part of build-ups.
I could just be entirely wrong, but that's how I've pictured him in my in-head analyses... Anyone feel free to show me that's not the case c:

Forgive my maybe ignorant soccerism, but isn't Taty's hold-up play incredible, which allows lots of players to get forward, and how we utilized him more often than not? Which would sound to me like he would be a significant part of build-ups.
I could just be entirely wrong, but that's how I've pictured him in my in-head analyses... Anyone feel free to show me that's not the case c:

let me clarify. my response was to kjbert's post, which seemed to refer to Taty not scoring much. He's not. but it's 6 games in and Girona don't exactly have the players to get taty the ball or read/understand his runs (yet or maybe they won't? who knows).

He is indeed apart of almost every attacking transition with either hold up play or making runs to create space for others. From the 4 games I've watched, he's been a big part of their attack and does his usual pressing and high intensity play that we know and love. But there doesn't seem to be anybody on girona who is able to get him the service he needs or feed him on his runs like maxi used to. This might take time, of course. Which is why I said we'll see in another 10 games or so.

But yes. He's a big part of Girona's attacking transition and attacking phase with holdup play, pressing, and making space creating runs. It's just that he's not getting the ball in shooting/scoring positions as much as he would like. he's had only 11 shots in the last 6 games. in the last game before the international break, he had 0 shots. that is not the taty we know who lead MLS in shots taken. That means he's not getting the ball in good positions, which is on his teammates.

let me clarify. my response was to kjbert's post, which seemed to refer to Taty not scoring much. He's not. but it's 6 games in and Girona don't exactly have the players to get taty the ball or read/understand his runs (yet or maybe they won't? who knows).

He is indeed apart of almost every attacking transition with either hold up play or making runs to create space for others. From the 4 games I've watched, he's been a big part of their attack and does his usual pressing and high intensity play that we know and love. But there doesn't seem to be anybody on girona who is able to get him the service he needs or feed him on his runs like maxi used to. This might take time, of course. Which is why I said we'll see in another 10 games or so.

But yes. He's a big part of Girona's attacking transition and attacking phase with holdup play, pressing, and making space creating runs. It's just that he's not getting the ball in shooting/scoring positions as much as he would like. he's had only 11 shots in the last 6 games. in the last game before the international break, he had 0 shots. that is not the taty we know who lead MLS in shots taken. That means he's not getting the ball in good positions, which is on his teammates.

Girona has 6 goals in 6 games. 6 players with 1 goal each - including Taty.

Looking beyond the cumulative statistics, Taty leads the team in expected goals (non-penalty) and expected assists at 1.3.

He may not be lighting La Liga on fire, but he is clearly Girona's most dangerous attacker - both eye test and analytically.

My worry is - he may be worth less in 1.5 years than he was 3 months ago.

Friendly reminder that our next home game could be Maxi's final NYCFC game :(

There is an option for 2023, we are yet to see or know whether the club will exercise the option, though I'm fairly certain they will.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
Friendly reminder that our next home game could be Maxi's final NYCFC game :(

There is an option for 2023, we are yet to see or know whether the club will exercise the option, though I'm fairly certain they will.

i think he stays another year at minimum. he has played a lot this year with not many major injuries and doesn't really seem to have lost a step at all. i wouldn't mind at all if the club signs him next year though i think that only happens if they can sign him as a non-DP.

i think he stays another year at minimum. he has played a lot this year with not many major injuries and doesn't really seem to have lost a step at all. i wouldn't mind at all if the club signs him next year though i think that only happens if they can sign him as a non-DP.
They have an option on next year - does that mean a one year extension on current terms, or does it mean they can open talks with him for next year? unsure exactly.

Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo
Fair - but his goal today was stellar. The team is not great, but he is doing what he can.
Just watched the highlights. Well taken by Taty and unusual for him in range and style. Riquelme has been fun to watch on that squad too.

The Girona defense and especially the keeper are dire. OOF.

This is a silly question, but has anyone created a spreadsheet/data of the rosters over years. If so, do they have format that they have it set up that they are happy with. I am just looking for formating/style ideas not looking for anything else.

My nephew started following soccer and NYCFC this year and I thought it would be a nice bonding project this winter to build the spreadsheet with him learning the history of the team together while entering the info.

Reactions: JayH and moogoo
This is a silly question, but has anyone created a spreadsheet/data of the rosters over years. If so, do they have format that they have it set up that they are happy with. I am just looking for formating/style ideas not looking for anything else.

My nephew started following soccer and NYCFC this year and I thought it would be a nice bonding project this winter to build the spreadsheet with him learning the history of the team together while entering the info.
Doing this from my iPad so can only hope I’m giving the right link. Hopefully this is a view only link, not an edit link. Either way you should be able to make a copy. This isn’t exactly what you were asking for, but might provide some helpful data.

Doing this from my iPad so can only hope I’m giving the right link. Hopefully this is a view only link, not an edit link. Either way you should be able to make a copy. This isn’t exactly what you were asking for, but might provide some helpful data.

Thank you, this definitely helps. Thanks.