Anybody Think The Delay On The Stadium Might Turn Out To Be A Good Thing?

Gentile

Registered
Feb 2, 2015
If the club had a 20,000 seater ready to go at the start, before knowing what max attendance and demand could be, this might have been a huge error. They would not have had another shot in New York and would be locked in a potentially too small stadium forever.

Having a trial run in Yankee stadium could let the club have a much better understanding of what size the final stadium should be rather than guessing. It only has one shot at this so the stadium has to either be the right size from the off or have built in room for expansion (which will be really hard).

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise, or am I crazy?

Really don't have a problem not being in a SSS to start. Have a problem with not having a plan in place for one.
I think that's everyone's biggest gripe.
Time will tell how many supporters the team will draw. I think if they play exciting football and winning football we could see big crowds.
If we don't... Then I don't expect Yankee stadium to be packed game in and game out.

Also I moved this to supporter discussion. Please limit the team news and rumors section to those two fields.

Reactions: LostAnvil
I agree, but with a slight addition - the attendance numbers could also show the movers-and-shakers how sound of an investment adding a stadium can be - could also use it for the new youth league

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Really don't have a problem not being in a SSS to start. Have a problem with not having a plan in place for one.
I think that's everyone's biggest gripe.
Time will tell how many supporters the team will draw. I think if they play exciting football and winning football we could see big crowds.
If we don't... Then I don't expect Yankee stadium to be packed game in and game out.

Also I moved this to supporter discussion. Please limit the team news and rumors section to those two fields.

They did have a plan though. The change of mayor torpedoed it. And that's part of what I mean. If they had a plan already, the size of it would have probably had to be determined already. This way they might be able to have a better understanding of numbers for the final stadium size.

If the club had a 20,000 seater ready to go at the start, before knowing what max attendance and demand could be, this might have been a huge error. They would not have had another shot in New York and would be locked in a potentially too small stadium forever.

Having a trial run in Yankee stadium could let the club have a much better understanding of what size the final stadium should be rather than guessing. It only has one shot at this so the stadium has to either be the right size from the off or have built in room for expansion (which will be really hard).

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise, or am I crazy?

I'm sure they will gather more data on capacity by playing at YS, plus they can get a good idea on stadium size by looking at other MLS clubs. What's really troubling here is that they haven't even found a spot to build the SSS. We're a long ways away from having our own stadium.

They did have a plan though. The change of mayor torpedoed it. And that's part of what I mean. If they had a plan already, the size of it would have probably had to be determined already. This way they might be able to have a better understanding of numbers for the final stadium size.
Having a plan and having a contract and an agreement are two different things.

The only way Yankee Stadium will be packed for every game is if we're very good, MLS becomes as big as Major 4 sports, or we have an amazing name player like Ronaldo.

I like being in Yankee Stadium in the interim, but I would not like being in another non-permanent venue before we play in the real NYC FC arena.

Having a plan and having a contract and an agreement are two different things.
Yes, but if they had a contract then they would be locked into a certain size of stadium. That's my point and it might have been the wrong size with no room to expand it in future.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Serious question although at the moment i realise it could be quite a way off, at what point, if ever, do you think there could be an 100.000 stadium?

I ask because there must be about 20.000.000 people living within the greater urban New York conurbation. It is the size of a medium European country @10th. I know, like most places people wont be interested, will have other commitments and follow other teams and sports etc etc but i think that is what will be aimed at.

Feasible?

No space and even 100k for a prime location wouldn't happen for at least 50 years.