By The Numbers: What We've Done, What Must We Do

Personally, I already had Montreal winning against Chicago in my book. I'm going to keep a close eye on their next 3 games (DCU @ Home, then OSC and RB on the road). These are ALL games they can lose. Fingers crossed.

the one bright spot in the montreal win is that they're out Ciman and Romero for their next game... i think?

Personally, I already had Montreal winning against Chicago in my book. I'm going to keep a close eye on their next 3 games (DCU @ Home, then OSC and RB on the road). These are ALL games they can lose. Fingers crossed.
My super optimistic take on it. We win every remaining game on our schedule.

Montreal:
1) Loses at home to DCU
2) Draws at Orlando
3) Loses at NJRB
4) Wins at Colorado
5) Loses at New England
6) Draws at home to Toronto

Montreal gets an additional 6 points, we get 12, we finish 1 point ahead. Honestly, after looking through this. I think the toughest part isn't the results Montreal gets, its making sure we take care of our own business.

Also, looking at Toronto's schedule, if either Chicago or Philly can pull off a draw in Toronto, we could have a scenario there if they hopefully fall into Toronto meltdown mode:

1) Win against Chicago at home
2) Draws Philly at home
3) Loses to NJRB at home
4) Loses 3 days later to Columbus at home
5) Loses/Draws at Montreal

Toronto gets an additional 5 points, we get 12, we finish 1 point ahead.

But again, we need to win every remaining game.

It likely wouldn't have mattered in any event but it was brutal how many easy sitters Chicago missed last night. They easily could have won and should have drawn at worst. On the positive side, the depth of my commitment to our team couldn't be highlighted any more than by the fact that I was nervously watching a Chicago Montreal MLS game on an iPad last night.

I think the toughest part isn't the results Montreal gets, its making sure we take care of our own business.

Couldn't agree with this more. If we can't take care of our own business now, when it matters, we don't deserve to make the playoffs.

n the positive side, the depth of my commitment to our team couldn't be highlighted any more than by the fact that I was nervously watching a Chicago Montreal MLS game on an iPad last night.

I was watching it on ESPN gamecenter :confused:

Reactions: JayH
Romero took himself out of the next game when he pulled his shirt off, and Ciman had a red after a second yellow. If anyone finds a clip of that Ciman stop right in front of the box where he slid to break up the cross and then caught some grass and flipped over.. I'd love to watch that again, was money. The guy is absolutely nuts on defense, and when I say nuts, I mean he's actually out of his mind. What did he think he was gonna do here? Stop it with 2 hands and say he was just playing goalie??? LOL

upload_2015-9-24_14-50-31.png

Reactions: Paul
On the positive side, the depth of my commitment to our team couldn't be highlighted any more than by the fact that I was nervously watching a Chicago Montreal MLS game on an iPad last night.

Exactly. And this sums up why this season has been an unqualified success for me personally. Sure the results are likely to be a bit disappointing unless we pull off a miracle, it drives me nuts that Poku does not play more even if I cannot quite figure out how I want them to line-up, and I wish Saunders could kick the ball, among other things.

But, in the end, this team has totally captured my attention and interest in a single year such that all personal plans are scheduled around home games and I find myself looking at Orbitz constantly to figure out what away matches I can make it to. There will be better years results-wise (I hope) but this has been such a satisfying fan experience.

We just need to keep winning.

Vancouver will be brutal though.

They can see that supporters shield and it's turf and a long plane ride many time zones away.

Chi up early then gave up equalizer. Tied at the half. Come on fire. Hold on for 45 more.

We got the wrong Chelsea player. Drogba putting Montreal up 2-0 with a brace? Fuck, fuckity, fuck, fuck, fuck.

Reactions: JayH
Time to forget about the playoffs, for those of us who were still clinging to hope. I had been convinced that if we somehow won out and finished with 46 points, we would make it. Now, I just don't see that being enough, and we all know it's very unlikely that we win out anyway.
Now we can just enjoy our matches in a vacuum and hope to finish strong and they can focus on building on the foundation for next season. We got some excellent players, and hopefully we get to keep our ManC loanees or pick up some new solid ones. Add that to a couple moves during the offseason (trades/drafts/lottery/Garber Bingo/discovery etc.) and I do believe we have the ability to get to the point of being a clear MLS Cup contender! If we can get the bulk of our starters in here before the season starts, things will be much smoother.

Believe it or not, but at this moment the 6th place team in the East has more points than 6th place in the West, with the same number of games played. Portland, 6th in the West, has 41 points in 29 games. Montreal has 42 in 29 games. Portland is playing right now, so they could pull ahead but Montreal will still have one game in hand on them at that point.
It also seems that the playoff line in the East will not only be at the high end of my 42-46 prediction, but could easily exceed it. Montreal is on a tear.

Someone check my maths -

If we win all 4 left, that would put us at 46, Orlando at a max 44, and if DC continues to play like shit with 3 left (one against us) they can easily stay at 45.

Let Montreal go, and hope DC lose against Chicago?

Someone check my maths -

If we win all 4 left, that would put us at 46, Orlando at a max 44, and if DC continues to play like shit with 3 left (one against us) they can easily stay at 45.

Let Montreal go, and hope DC lose against Chicago?
Your math checks out. I just doubt the word "easily " belongs anywhere in a paragraph about our playoff chances.

Reactions: Paul and 413Blue