DC Postmatch

Bad game. I'm moving on.

Positives I'm taking with me:
  • M&Ms. Martinez and Mendoza both showed well as subs. If that play carries forward, good stuff.
  • No Chanot. If we weren't going to get points, I'm glad we gave him an extra week of rest.
  • Yes Pirlo. Yes Party. Was biting my fingernails waiting for him to pick up second yellow and miss our finale.

Who is watching the post match show and seeing the "#1 NJRB fan" single out some dude and just bash him, he makes the team look so unprofessional.

Who is watching the post match show and seeing the "#1 NJRB fan" single out some dude and just bash him, he makes the team look so unprofessional.

Me...and I'm that dude...

I wrote after the pregame show, "Please mute Kevin Brown's mic when NYCFC is being discussed. It's embarrassing and unprofessional. And take off that scarf. #MLSLiveShow"

On Twitter Kevin replied, "Lower your sodium intake."

Here is why I wrote it. Starting at 47:52 through 51:15 solely related to what Kevin Brown said.

It is also because he called the Golden Boot Twittee poll rigged, there was voter suppression, and a bunch of other things you'd hear from the rhetoric of the actual Presidential election.

I'm choosing not to reply on Twitter to Kevin Brown (the #1 RB fan who is "So Metro" as said by the host of the program, who even strutted around the set at the end of the pregame show holding up a Red Bull scarf ) or even use the hashtag for the show but write a letter to the head of MLS Digital because if they think this is appropriate and professional media/journalism, it's clearly not.

Here's what happened during the post game show. It's starts at 19:44 and then 25:55...

If you are clearly disappointed with the integrity of the production, write to his man

https://twitter.com/ChrisSchlosser?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

You can email him at Chris@MLSsoccer.com

Yeah, our defensive has been terrible and I would be the first to admit that, but there's something called impartiality and unbiasedness that should come from something produced by the league.

Of course they're free to bring up my tweet in the postgame show because it's the internet and fair game but how Kevin responded clearly articulates my point of embarrassing and unprofessional.

Last edited:

I wrote after the pregame show, "Please mute Kevin Brown's mic when NYCFC is being discussed. It's embarrassing and unprofessional. And take off that scarf. #MLSLiveShow"

On twitter Kevin replied, "Lower your sodium intake."

I'm choosing not to reply on Twitter to Kevin Brown (the #1 NJRB fan, who even strutted around the set at the end of the pregame show holding up a Red Bull scarf) or even use the hashtag for the show but write a letter to the head of MLS Digital because if they think this is appropriate and professional media/journalism, it's clearly not.

Here's what happened during the post game show. It's starts at 19:44 and then 25:55...

If you are clearly disappointed with the integrity of the production, write to his man

Yeah, our defensive has been terrible and I would be the first to admit that, but there's something called impartiality and unbiasedness that should come from something produced by the league.

Of course they're free to bring up my tweet in the postgame show because it's the internet and fair game but how Kevin responded clearly articulates my point of embarrassing and unprofessional.

meh, what he said really doesn't bother me, its all coming from the real hate those guys have for our team and vise versa and you know what he is right. Listen, I have been saying this all year. This has been a successful season so far in our second year, couldn't ask for more. If we make noise in the playoffs, then it is a major bonus. However, as long as we have Saunders in net, and as long as PV keeps on insisting playing from the back with players that have no business playing from the back and one of the worst keepers I have ever seen in pro soccer, with the worst distribution of any pro keeper ever, goals like today will be a norm, and have been the norm for all of this year so far.

There is NO WAY we win MLS Cup with this defense, NO WAY. Matter of fact, we play the red bulls in the playoffs, with this style of play, there is NO WAY we beat them. I have come to terms with this. When this happens, sure I will be disappointed but it still would be considered a successful season. Next year if we have Saunders starting again for us, I may have to sit out the year though as a fan because I know how it will end.

meh, what he said really doesn't bother me, its all coming from the real hate those guys have for our team and vise versa and you know what he is right. Listen, I have been saying this all year. This has been a successful season so far in our second year, couldn't ask for more. If we make noise in the playoffs, then it is a major bonus. However, as long as we have Saunders in net, and as long as PV keeps on insisting playing from the back with players that have no business playing from the back and one of the worst keepers I have ever seen in pro soccer, with the worst distribution of any pro keeper ever, goals like today will be a norm, and have been the norm for all of this year so far.

There is NO WAY we win MLS Cup with this defense, NO WAY. Matter of fact, we play the red bulls in the playoffs, with this style of play, there is NO WAY we beat them. I have come to terms with this. When this happens, sure I will be disappointed but it still would be considered a successful season. Next year if we have Saunders starting again for us, I may have to sit out the year though as a fan because I know how it will end.

What he said is fair. It's the medium he said it on which bothers me, an MLS Digital broadcast. If this was his personal Twitter account, okay. But something aired for the purposes of the league platform is unprofessional.

What he said is fair. It's the medium he said it on which bothers me, an MLS Digital broadcast. If this was his personal Twitter account, okay. But something aired for the purposes of the league platform is unprofessional.
That is fair, I see your point. I am just so used to everyone fan hating on our team big time that I really expect nothing else whether that is on twitter or an MLS Post game show on MLSsoccer.com. It will make it that much sweeter when we do win MLS Cup in the near future, and when we shove our cock down there throats.

I would trade Saunders for a f*cking pretzel and #StartEirik. I hate it that we're so much better with Lampard in the lineup. We need to find a suitable replacement for him when his leg caps out for good. Oh ... and defense ... We better find some of that in the next transfer window too.

Yesterday pretty much laid out all the examples as to why NYCFC will not go far in the playoffs:

-Awful set piece defending
-Turnovers in their own end when pressed
-Unexcuseable gaffes when playing it out of the back
-Saunders (I don't have to elaborate)

Even if they get the bye, each series to the MLS cup is a two-legged series. NYCFC pretty much has to score at least 2-3 goals in every game, which becomes more difficult as teams lock it down. You can't suffer a multi-goal loss like this on the road in the playoffs.

One other thing, DC had to win this game to get a playoff berth - I wasn't expecting a win, but a tie would have been a great result. Not to effectively end the game in the first half.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan

On Twitter Kevin replied, "Lower your sodium intake."

Here is why I wrote it. Starting at 47:52 through 51:15 solely related to what Kevin Brown said.

It is also because he called the Golden Boot Twittee poll rigged, there was voter suppression, and a bunch of other things you'd hear from the rhetoric of the actual Presidential election.

I'm choosing not to reply on Twitter to Kevin Brown (the #1 RB fan who is "So Metro" as said by the host of the program, who even strutted around the set at the end of the pregame show holding up a Red Bull scarf ) or even use the hashtag for the show but write a letter to the head of MLS Digital because if they think this is appropriate and professional media/journalism, it's clearly not.

First of all, congrats! You were on TV! You're famous!

This was just the perfect storm of shit play by us and a (knowingly) biased "host." I agree with you that it seemed very unprofessional, especially when you look at the pre/post game commentary for EPL, etc. You just don't see this stuff there. It had more of an NFL pre/post game feel to it than anything soccer related. It was awkward.

At the same time though, part of me likes that it happened. Part of me likes that MLS has taken our back line circus and plastered it on a replay tv over and over with some snide pundit poking fun at us. I hope the FO gets it. I hope they and PV feel as embarrassed as we do.

How they go into the last two transfer windows after our dumpster fire defense last year and pick up (maybe) one decent CB to put out that fire blows my mind. Someone scouted Ethan White and decided he would solve the issue. Someone scouted Chanot (and hopefully that pans out), but someone also said "okay, we're good," and decided we had our back line set.

I feel like our back line has been hit over the head with their mistakes so many times that it's gotten to them, and they are no longer competent to play how PV wants. We could probably call up 4 Wilmington guys and I'd feel 100x more confident. Heath Pearce said it perfectly around 28:55 - sure, you want to play that way and that's fine, but it requires certain personnel. We don't have that personnel.

Saunders is the most unsound keeper I have ever seen. You need someone calm and confident in net to play like that, and he's the complete opposite. Mena is so bad (I put goal 1 on him, another play where like last game he just halfheartedly lifts his foot to try and block the pass and it goes under his leg) that we have to push Iraola back into a sweeper role to have someone who can pass it out. Iraola clearly isn't comfortable doing that, as he passed it directly to Mullins. Saunders should have noticed the pressure from those 2 DC guys and just cleared it.

It's the worst when your defensive liabilities are not due to just an opposing team's superior offense. It's our own mistakes that kill us. We're basically guaranteed one incredible gaff per game. It's a shit show and I'm happy it is being rubbed in our face. Hopefully that pressure gets to the FO/PV and next year we end up with the best defense in the league. Not overly confident that will happen, though. For now, we have the worst defense in the league, and PV doesn't care. Every time we fuck up playing out of the back like that I put it on him. He needs to get over his own stubbornness and realize he's fucking us. I'd prefer to play out of the back if we had the tools, but we don't. Would be interesting to see Pirlo come back like Iraola and take it out from the back. He's the passing guru and we haven't even been able to get him the ball.

#rant #sorry

We are in 2nd place in the East with one of the best records in the league, playing for a first round bye. Warts and all. As much as I/we complain about the glaring issues (goaltending, backline ,etc.), which are all well justified, I am pleased we have put ourselves in the position we are now in. It's the MLS where even the best teams have holes, even the best teams are frustrating and scary. Our flaws may doom us, but we also have the talent to compensate when all things click, when we are healthy, and we get that little bit of luck you need to win. We have all seen what Villa and Pirlo have done in big games throughout their career, it's go time for them. If we play well and beat up on Columbus, we are on track to have a shot. I'm pumped for Sunday. Heads high (and pray).

Unless they want to have 20 commentators in the room, they can't have someone acting like that.

no need to be upset over what bloggers say.

i couldnt watch since i was busy but still defense still sucks, and saunders is still starting not much has changed.

I would trade Saunders for a f*cking pretzel and #StartEirik. I hate it that we're so much better with Lampard in the lineup. We need to find a suitable replacement for him when his leg caps out for good. Oh ... and defense ... We better find some of that in the next transfer window too.
giphy.gif

How they go into the last two transfer windows after our dumpster fire defense last year and pick up (maybe) one decent CB to put out that fire blows my mind. Someone scouted Ethan White and decided he would solve the issue. Someone scouted Chanot (and hopefully that pans out), but someone also said "okay, we're good," and decided we had our back line set.

I feel like our back line has been hit over the head with their mistakes so many times that it's gotten to them, and they are no longer competent to play how PV wants. We could probably call up 4 Wilmington guys and I'd feel 100x more confident. Heath Pearce said it perfectly around 28:55 - sure, you want to play that way and that's fine, but it requires certain personnel. We don't have that personnel.

Saunders is the most unsound keeper I have ever seen. You need someone calm and confident in net to play like that, and he's the complete opposite. Mena is so bad (I put goal 1 on him, another play where like last game he just halfheartedly lifts his foot to try and block the pass and it goes under his leg) that we have to push Iraola back into a sweeper role to have someone who can pass it out. Iraola clearly isn't comfortable doing that, as he passed it directly to Mullins. Saunders should have noticed the pressure from those 2 DC guys and just cleared it.
I agree a lot with your post but I really do feel as though the FO did go out and try to secure defensive help this offseason. They went out and got Mata who has been fantastic, and Diego Martinez has been a serviceable LB (even though PV doesn't seem to fully agree).

They went out and got Brillant, and he has been solid in my eyes, and then in the summer window went and grabbed Chanot.

I definitely think there is more work to do to solidify the back line such as getting rid of Hernandez and Mena, and bringing in another CB, etc. But I don't think our defensive limitations is completely on the FO (at least yet, and though I do agree with you 100% on Ethan White). This, IMO, is just another factor of some of the struggles of creating a roster from scratch, and then cutting the fat where you can and within MLS rules.

On the last paragraph quoted here, I also disagree with Iraola isn't comfortable playing out of the back. I think he's shown many games he is very very capable of doing it. He obviously had an egregious fuck up yesterday. It was terrible, but I think that play was the exception with Iraola moreso than the rule.

no need to be upset over what bloggers say.

i couldnt watch since i was busy but still defense still sucks, and saunders is still starting not much has changed.
It is astounding that Lurch had such a good performance (considering the circus D playing for him in Mexico) and yet Saunders still gets the nod for an important match. There's no way DC scores three on us yesterday if Lurch was tending the net - at most two and likely only one.

I also would almost rather play a man down than have Hernandez marking the wing. Play knowing he isn't an option/outlet/defender rather than counting on him to carry his weight - so many times he was outpaced/out dribbled by their winger and his marking in the box was horrible.

It is astounding that Lurch had such a good performance (considering the circus D playing for him in Mexico) and yet Saunders still gets the nod for an important match. There's no way DC scores three on us yesterday if Lurch was tending the net - at most two and likely only one.

I also would almost rather play a man down than have Hernandez marking the wing. Play knowing he isn't an option/outlet/defender rather than counting on him to carry his weight - so many times he was outpaced/out dribbled by their winger and his marking in the box was horrible.

Leadership.....or at least thats the only excuse i hear mentioned.

A few thoughts:

- While the third goal was the ugliest, I actually view that mostly as an execution error from a guy, Iraola, who can generally play the ball he was aiming to play across to the wide open right flank. Whatever - that happens.

- The first two goals were much more system problems. The second was another terrible effort on a corner, where we'd been doing better recently. The first goal was, largely the risk of playing the RB, Hernandez, tucked in in midfield as we drop Iraola back. Mena plays a tough pass to Harrison who is running directly back towards our end and who then has a poor touch and it creates a turnover. DC gets the ball down the right side quickly. Nyarko, the LW, makes a smart near post run from the left wing which takes Brillant with him. Mullins is at the back post unguarded because we have nobody playing on that flank when we have the ball. I've been as critical of Hernandez at RB as anyone all year, but that goal would have been an issue whoever was playing RB. Its the downside of the system than helped us against Houston.

- It is a bit hard to evaluate since he came in when we were down 3-0, but I continue to think Mendoza is a good option as the CAM. He can move the ball forward in a way that none of the other options we have there right now can, other than perhaps Harrison, who PV hasn't used there much. He had a similar impact in some of the September games, though again often in situation where we were down and the opponent was dropping back.

- DC pushed so far up the field in the first half on all GKs to the point that Saunders had to kick long more times than probably in any other match. I can't remember another team that did that so aggressively since the Sporting KC match back in July. I don't know why every team doesn't challenge us that way. PV was trying, several times to get Saunders to play the medium range ball out to Matarrita on the left sideline. That is, frankly, a tough ball for any MLS GK to play because it requires dropping the ball into a small space over distance, but obviously it is pretty much entirely outside Saunders' wheelhouse, and I say that as someone who doesn't actually think he is the cause of all things bad that have happened this season. That's the ball that releases the pressure rather than just hoofing it down the field.