Maybe It's Me, But ...

NYCFC is a City enterprise. City have done it because they need extra funds, places to spread the word about themselves, a club (or clubs, if you include Melbourne, and possibly a Portuguese one if the rumours are to be believed, and I suspect we'll have an Asian one soon enough) to send players to and grab players from.

All of these clubs will play the 'City way' - they will be closely connected yet allowed to do their own thing ... to a point.

But, NYCFC is already picking up fans of other PL clubs: Arsenal, Chelsea, etc, etc. This to me feels weird. I would NEVER follow a MLS club that was founded by another PL team (not there are any), and it is why I want Beckham's new club to suffer horribly.

If you were a Giants fan, and the Jets bought a PL club, would you jump in on it? THAT is what I mean.

I can't fathom it, nor can I explain it.

I'd love to know your thoughts.

NYCFC is a City enterprise. City have done it because they need extra funds, places to spread the word about themselves, a club (or clubs, if you include Melbourne, and possibly a Portuguese one if the rumours are to be believed, and I suspect we'll have an Asian one soon enough) to send players to and grab players from.

All of these clubs will play the 'City way' - they will be closely connected yet allowed to do their own thing ... to a point.

But, NYCFC is already picking up fans of other PL clubs: Arsenal, Chelsea, etc, etc. This to me feels weird. I would NEVER follow a MLS club that was founded by another PL team (not there are any), and it is why I want Beckham's new club to suffer horribly.

If you were a Giants fan, and the Jets bought a PL club, would you jump in on it? THAT is what I mean.

I feel the same about this the ties between NYCFC and Manchester City are surely to close for the fans of other English clubs to support with any great belief. They'll always be fair weather fans and not the fanatical fans you want

I'm a Giants season ticket holder and a Yankees fan.

It wouldn't bother me in the least if the Jets or Mets were the majority owners of NYCFC. If I'm in error anyone can feel free to correct me, but I believe the Wilpon family (Mets owners) were one of the parties negotiating for NYCFC along with the others.

I'm not going to try to explain it, because quite frankly I can't. I'm just guessing that perhaps a native born American Arsenal fan living in New York isn't going to carry the distaste for MCFC than a native born Londoner would.

Here's my take.
I'm a city fan myself. Which is why I became interested in NYCFC.
Here's why so many other club fans are interested.
RBNY. Plain and simple. So many people from this state have felt cheated and betrayed by RBNY. The way they've marketed themselves and the fact that they play in Jersey and have the gal to say NY. I'm from Florida and even I understand and feel the pain of New Yorkers.
So, when NYCFC was announced and started marketing as a NYC club and to NYC residents a lot of people fell in love with that aspect.
A lot of us look past the MCFC connection. I can see where a united fan (which we have) says hey this isn't Mcfcs club. This is NYC's club. We will benefit greatly from City's connection but this will be our club and we will sing our songs.
That's why you have a lot of fans from other EPL clubs and a strong urge to seperate the supporters from those ties.
Being a MCFC writer it would be something worth writing an article about. There's a lot of users here from England who aren't MCFC fans. I'm sure they'd give you statement for your piece.

OOOOOps. Totally misread your post. Let me try again. :D

I never really had a favorite Premier League team ('Spurs, if I had to name one), but as an American I don't hate Liverpool because they're owned by the Boston Red Sox nor do I hate Manchester United because they're owned by the Glazer family..........nor do I hate Arsenal, because they're owned by Stan Kroenke (who owns MLS team Colorado Rapids).

I suppose it is all about knowing what went on before, and what, I suspect, City hope you do not discover.

Once you belong to a club it stays with you, you stick with it, no matter what; through good times and bad. Everything the club does you follow without question - you support.

However, if you do this, then an Arsenal fan cannot be an NYCFC fan - PL (and others, Barca included) clubs attempted to take over or create a new MLS club, but the timing was wrong, City came in at just the right time.

I am sorry (and you will hate this), but the foreseeable future NYCFC is nothing but City's whore - it sounds terrible, but that is what it is. NYCFC will grow and become its own entity, but for the next few years it will be the former.

I will follow the club and I will support her, but she is a created feeder club, and nothing more at present - Demichelis will sign for you (bookmark this, you'll see).

I hope NYCFC becomes more, but for now it is nothing but exploitation.

OOOOOps. Totally misread your post. Let me try again. :D

I never really had a favorite Premier League team ('Spurs, if I had to name one), but as an American I don't hate Liverpool because they're owned by the Boston Red Sox nor do I hate Manchester United because they're owned by the Glazer family..........nor do I hate Arsenal, because they're owned by Stan Kroenke (who owns MLS team Colorado Rapids).

You beat me to it. Great point. I often sense a lot of hate coming from England towards American soccer/football fans. I always wonder if they realize where their money comes from. The majority of the big name clubs are owned by foreign investors.

Your inquiry is a money thing. As a sports fan I don't care where the money comes from, as an aware individual living in a turmoil ridden world--I do. But that's a discussion for another time.

Having a team play within the city borders is immensely important. Sure, the wealthier, privileged folks can drive and buy the expensive seats. The ones so close to the pitch you can almost taste the grass (or turf). However, the bulk of the stadium (in all parts of the world) is filled by regular joes, the working class, the poor. Making a team accessible to that bulk of citizens (pun intended) is imperative. That's a numbers thing, you can only fight statistics for so long.

Furthermore, I don't mind RBNY, and their supporters are of the best in the country (even though the stadium [which is beautiful, mind you] scarcely sells out), however, the team feels forced upon us.

Also, New Yorkers are a very distinct bunch of sports fans. When the team is performing well, no one can touch us in loyalty and support, however, when results are poor we are still loyal but very vocal about our expectations. We love our city, and we demand the best. It's important that NYCFC are anything but bad and boring on the field.

On a final note, I have to say that I'm a fanatic when it comes to the USMNT, and once NYCFC gets on the field--I'll be foaming from the mouth with enthusiasm. However, besides beating another team (especially a rival) to oblivion, I do not wish harm upon a team, its organization, and its supporters. I hope your Beckham comment comes with that in mind, otherwise it is that very attitude that makes our beautiful game so ugly and distasteful too often.

Cheers.

Ray, you bring up a lot of good points that I agree with and the is one more thing I'd like to toss in.

As I just made mention over on Facebook, some of this must be a cultural difference. I have many friends who are Cowboys, 49ers or Eagles fans; and as I Giants fan it doesn't bother me in the least. As a Yankee fan it doesn't bother me that I have friends and family who root for the Mets or the Red Sox. What's the big deal?

I'm hoping NYCFC spurs enough interest in the game that even the Red Bull flourish at the box office and I hope the Miami Beckhams make the game even more popular.

I'm a huge Arsenal supporter and I see the point made, the city connection almost detracted me. I went into it with a bit of trepidation but once I started seeing all these different supporters of others clubs being ok with it, it made it easier to swallow. Plus, I think the braintrust behind NYCFC is legitimately trying to make this a team that will stand on it's own two feet, regardless of ownership.

Anyway, I don't hate City as much as I hate other clubs. If they were owned by United or Spurs I probably wouldn't throw my support behind them. The Yankee connection also makes it easier to deal with as I'm a huge Yankee fan. I can see why English supporters might be surprised but here in New York City this is the only legitimate team in the five boroughs. We need something and I desperately want to get behind a MLS team.

Sorry BlueWolf BlueWolf, but what you don't seem to get is that NYCFC is New York's club, not yours. We may support Man U or Arsenal or whoever in EPL, but we don't live there. We don't care about that club as much as you would, because it is not our hometown. Your league is secondary to MLS because we live here.

Your analogy to the Jets/Giants is ass-backward. The equivalent this situation (New Yorkers supporting Man U, then supporting NYCFC) is if your pretentious self living whatever rainy hellhole in England you come from, were a fan of the New York Giants. Then, the Jets established a sister team in a hypothetical American Football league in England. Right in your fucking backyard. If you would rather support an American Football team from a different city in England than the one in your hometown, just because its ownership is against your rooting interests in a foreign league... well then you won't understand why we New Yorkers feel loyalty to NYCFC, regardless of our interests in EPL.

Because, no matter how big of fans of EPL clubs we may be, we really don't give a fuck about you, your country, or your league. They were just our whores to use until we had a local team to support. We are New Yorkers, first and foremost.

And people like you and your snobbery are the reasons Americans hate the British footballing world. You shit all over our internationals, our domestic league and our fandom. You think our world revolves around your league, and can't fathom why would prioritize MLS over foreign soccer. Yeah, we are not strong enough or ready to fight it, but the abuse keeps coming, and eventually we will stand up to you miserable lot. Meanwhile, I will thoroughly enjoy as your club crashes and burns through the end of the EPL season.

Cheers. Or not.

I have one question. Why does it matter? So what if you find it bemusing that NYers get interested in NYCFC when they have contradictory team preferences already anyway? Sure, I know your first answer will be "I just want to know why they do something which makes no sense to me" because I've seen similar people on this forum and the Melbourne Heart forum post the same thing and similarly proceed to anger every native fan on the entire forum, as you have successfully done here. But why was it worth raising your voice in the first place? Did you seriously think there was going to be a positive reaction? All you've done is made us English MCFC fans out to be complete toss-pots, so thanks very much for that.

I support Man U and found myself conflicted by the Man City ownership of NYCFC, but I think I got over it. I'm excited to have a team in the city and can happily set MCFC aside and focus on NYCFC. If I am reading this all wrong and Man City looms too large I guess I'll be disappointed and move along. Hope that doesn't come to pass.

Falastur Falastur this specific forum was made for heated issues like this. It's a Warzone/debate forum. Meant for things that are touchy and stir the pot.
That's why it was posted here. I was asked to create a section of the forum like this and I did.

Reactions: MyBoyVilla
Very true, fair point. I've just been facing this kind of battle for a few weeks now in various places and, when I'm not on forums, in my head with myself, so I guess you could say it's kind of a tetchy point for me right now.

Reactions: Nick Chavez
I personally hate it myself. Wish we could move on. Support what you want and let the club grow and succeed.

Indeed. "Warzone" Would not have asked this anywhere else. And I did ask and I asked for it to be explained to me. The initial responses were good and then everyone realised that this a "Warzone" and adjusted their responses accordingly.

MBC - if City die (not that it will), so does NYCFC. It's that simple. So you can get off your high horse and reconsider perhaps returning with a more structured reply.

Falastur - Why? It was an honest question, intended to create debate . If you have already "seen similar" then you would understand why the question was asked. Likewise you would understand why the question was placed in here and not elsewhere.

Ironically, it took a United fan to answer sensibly. Go figure. I'd have "liked" the post Metropolis but kept getting the

The following error occurred:
An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later.

message.

Yeah, I'm sorry. It's just that there's been a few City fans over on the Melbourne Heart forums who have come in and said "don't you understand? You've won the lottery and all we ask is that you sacrifice your identity and the very thing that makes you associate with your club and accept being rebranded as Man City AUS but don't worry because you have no history so you have no right to complain". They put it so arrogantly and their argument is so very wrong. It's got to the point where I just kind of snap when I see the " accept that you are merely a City clone now" argument. On the Heart forum, several of the native fans are now actively calling for Mansour's head and making it hard to identify as a City fan without feeling ashamed - granted Heart has its own problems right now - and I find myself questioning why the City fans bothered speaking up in the first place.

Anyway, you're all right - this is a forum for contentious arguments - so I'll concede that it has a reason to be here, and I'll let you all get on with debating the point now.

It would appear that if one is American, then the MCFC ownership does not come into it, unless one was already a City fan then supporting this new club would be a natural progression. Americans, and New Yorkers in particular, seem to be very proud of this new club and are already looking at it in a way that is vastly different to City fans. I think I am now beginning to understand this.

A few years ago, Barca was looking into this but decided it was not viable, and besides they already have the Barca B team (this set-up is not allowed in the UK, so that avenue was never one that City could go down), but the feeling was that if they could do it, it would greatly help their exposure in North America.

Fast forward a few years and the Barca Boys are at City and believed that the timing was now right, had a word with Sheikh Mansour and got him to throw a few hundred million dollars at it. This is a game changer on an unheard of level. As said already, it is believed that City will buy or create clubs in each continent, and none of this will go against them in regards to FFP, regardless of how much they spend.

City fans who are supportive of all of this, know how much this will help the club with new sponsorship deals, finding new talent, and bringing in more fans, which in turn creates more revenue.

Yes, NYCFC is and will be its own club, but, again, City will always be there in the background. It is similar to that Pedigree is a brand in its own right, yet Pedigree is owned by the much larger Mars Family.

I really hope NYCFC does very well, and I'm looking forward to being able to watch their televised matches.