NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2023

not sure what people expecting from the FO. They are not going to say hey we looking for a 10/ a striker/ a midfielder. nor will they really say, he we didnt want to give DP to callens/ Johnson. The generic comments are the norm with them.

To be fair, if NYCFC tried to pull stunts like this, there would literally be no one covering the team. They need the bloggers and podcasters to be asking questions, otherwise there would be many press conferences with no one even on them. Imagine how humilating it would be for the team to hold press conferences that are attended by literally no one.
I think that's a widespread MLS problem.

Article doesn't quite deliver the goods in terms of hard facts league-wide, but if the Crew are losing ground on coverage in Columbus, with just one other pro team (which the article oddly ignores), I think it's probably an issue in most cities, with a few exceptions.

Reactions: Shwafta

This is a little funny to me. I feel like the majority of our fanbase wants us to operate as independently as possible from Man City. This article makes it sound terrible we aren't getting the Shay Faceys, high schooler Angelinos, and super raw Yangel Herreras anymore. I think we are much better without them.

There's no doubt it's tough to lose the Tatys and Callenses to Girona. But let's be honest -- they were moving on to bigger leagues whether we were a CFG team or not.

For the others that have left -- that's just professional sports. It's not fun, but I think the doom and gloom around this team right now is certainly premature.

This is a little funny to me. I feel like the majority of our fanbase wants us to operate as independently as possible from Man City. This article makes it sound terrible we aren't getting the Shay Faceys, high schooler Angelinos, and super raw Yangel Herreras anymore. I think we are much better without them.

There's no doubt it's tough to lose the Tatys and Callenses to Girona. But let's be honest -- they were moving on to bigger leagues whether we were a CFG team or not.

For the others that have left -- that's just professional sports. It's not fun, but I think the doom and gloom around this team right now is certainly premature.
As someone else pointed out, we have a pretty good starting XI if the season started right now. It's just our backups (other than lb... heh...) that would be a problem.

So going into our 9th season and having Angelino and Herrera on our roster is helping ourselves to some of MCFC best young players?

Gabriel Jesus and Iheanacho were some of MCFC best young players. . . . .Shay Facey and Eirik Johansen, not so much.

Last week the club tweeted out items from the event which preempted third parties. Maybe even they were told not to. This week the club isn't tweeting and they're letting the tird parties handle, which is nice, except if you read the stream of tweets that mention "nycfc" you see the same exact info repeated 4 times, then the next item 4 times, etc.

Last week the club tweeted out items from the event which preempted third parties. Maybe even they were told not to. This week the club isn't tweeting and they're letting the tird parties handle, which is nice, except if you read the stream of tweets that mention "nycfc" you see the same exact info repeated 4 times, then the next item 4 times, etc.
Not a whole ton of takeaways but here are a few that I had, in case some folks didn't see them on twitter, or if they weren't covered there:
  • Cushing mentioned several times that they will be bringing in multiple players at multiple positions. Didn't mention specific names (would not address anything regarding James Sands potentially returning) and wouldn't mention specific positions, though he did note (paraphrasing) "you guys see what positions have left the club". He mentioned the roster not being complete on several occasions and in response to multiple questions. Mentioned being in discussions with David, the assistant coaches, and even Brad on this.
  • Cushing also mentioned the team playing a 4-2-3-1 and then the 3-4-3 last year and mentioned adding a 4-3-3 this year
  • Haak mentioned he's been at the 6 for most of the offseason, a little at the 8, can play CB if needed. This reminds me somewhat of Keaton's response where we now have some more clarity of where not to expect him to play where he does have versatility (ie, Haak not at CB, Keaton not at the 10)

Not a whole ton of takeaways but here are a few that I had, in case some folks didn't see them on twitter, or if they weren't covered there:
  • Cushing mentioned several times that they will be bringing in multiple players at multiple positions. Didn't mention specific names (would not address anything regarding James Sands potentially returning) and wouldn't mention specific positions, though he did note (paraphrasing) "you guys see what positions have left the club". He mentioned the roster not being complete on several occasions and in response to multiple questions. Mentioned being in discussions with David, the assistant coaches, and even Brad on this.
  • Cushing also mentioned the team playing a 4-2-3-1 and then the 3-4-3 last year and mentioned adding a 4-3-3 this year
  • Haak mentioned he's been at the 6 for most of the offseason, a little at the 8, can play CB if needed. This reminds me somewhat of Keaton's response where we now have some more clarity of where not to expect him to play where he does have versatility (ie, Haak not at CB, Keaton not at the 10)
Adding on this, some clarity in terms of players that we can expect to be at certain positions:
  • Keaton at the 6/8, not at the 10 (from Keaton)
  • Haak at the 6, a little at the 8, likely not at CB except in a pinch (from Haak)
  • Pelligrini on the wing (from Cushing)
  • Tayvon as RB or CB, but likely moreso RB (from Cushing)
  • Talles at the 9 (from Cushing)
I think Talles and Pelligrini are the only two whose positions would be significantly impacted by transfers-in (this is complete speculation from me). Talles moving to the wing if we bring in a solid 9. Pelligrini maybe moving inside to the 10 if we don't bring in a 10 (Alfredo had trouble recalling anyone but Carrizo playing the 10 so far in the offseason).

Tayvon's position I think could be more impacted by a change to 3 ATB and he moves to RCB or CCB. But it seems like with NYC playing 4 ATB, Cushing sees him more as a RB.

Adding on this, some clarity in terms of players that we can expect to be at certain positions:
  • Keaton at the 6/8, not at the 10 (from Keaton)
  • Haak at the 6, a little at the 8, likely not at CB except in a pinch (from Haak)
  • Pelligrini on the wing (from Cushing)
  • Tayvon as RB or CB, but likely moreso RB (from Cushing)
  • Talles at the 9 (from Cushing)
I think Talles and Pelligrini are the only two whose positions would be significantly impacted by transfers-in (this is complete speculation from me). Talles moving to the wing if we bring in a solid 9. Pelligrini maybe moving inside to the 10 if we don't bring in a 10 (Alfredo had trouble recalling anyone but Carrizo playing the 10 so far in the offseason).

Tayvon's position I think could be more impacted by a change to 3 ATB and he moves to RCB or CCB. But it seems like with NYC playing 4 ATB, Cushing sees him more as a RB.

Great stuff. Thanks for the update. Twitter was not playing nice for me. Appreciate these posts