NYCFC Salaries 2016

Bravo, Brillant and Matarrita are all underpaid for their contributions. I hope we keep Bravo and Brillant.

At $150,000, I don't expect Matarrita to make it 12 more months in MLS. He could make 5 times that in Europe right now. Teams already sniffing around.

Reactions: Paul and adam
Bravo, Brillant and Matarrita are all underpaid for their contributions. I hope we keep Bravo and Brillant.

At $150,000, I don't expect Matarrita to make it 12 more months in MLS. He could make 5 times that in Europe right now. Teams already sniffing around.
yeah sadly Mata was a great find, and he's going to command a bigger salary going forward.

Its exciting to think that there at probably 20 guys out there in the world that are making <60k, that we could pick up and pay 200k (so you know they would definitely sign our contract) and make a team that would absolutely dominate MLS. You would think that a brilliant GM/Manager could have a field day in the MLS and show the world his talents. Too bad no one has the stones to tell an owner hey don't pay Villa/Lampard/Pirlo 15mm, give me that salary and I will make you a winning team every year and we could even have 100% turnover and you wouldn't have to pay more then the league's cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam and mgarbowski
yeah sadly Mata was a great find, and he's going to command a bigger salary going forward.

Its exciting to think that there at probably 20 guys out there in the world that are making <60k, that we could pick up and pay 200k (so you know they would definitely sign our contract) and make a team that would absolutely dominate MLS. You would think that a brilliant GM/Manager could have a field day in the MLS and show the world his talents. Too bad no one has the stones to tell an owner hey don't pay Villa/Lampard/Pirlo 15mm, give me that salary and I will make you a winning team every year and we could even have 100% turnover and you wouldn't have to pay more then the league's cap.

Agree only partly. The beauty of CFG is being able to scout all over the world. I would imagine that helped us identify Matarrita.

But the Villa/Lampard/Pirlo signings are separate from that. We will never find a $60,000 guy and turn him into a Villa type player. Those are independent roster construction decisions. We will always have the most highly paid, well known DPs in MLS. That's as much a business decision as it is a roster construction decision.

Agree only partly. The beauty of CFG is being able to scout all over the world. I would imagine that helped us identify Matarrita.

But the Villa/Lampard/Pirlo signings are separate from that. We will never find a $60,000 guy and turn him into a Villa type player. Those are independent roster construction decisions. We will always have the most highly paid, well known DPs in MLS. That's as much a business decision as it is a roster construction decision.
DPs are DPs, they are outside the team structure as they have unlimited salaries. So doesn't take a brilliant mind to slot a great player in these 3 spots, more like it takes deep pockets.

but the rest of the team could be filled by great players who get paid like mata, ~150k. I was just daydreaming that there is a brilliant manager out there that could fill each one of those roles with a Mata type player. But in reality its like you said its a system that identifies talent. No one person could personally scout every player in the world. But these players are out there!

I gotta imagine the ability to create that team is out there too, but the minute a manager shows those talents in the MLS they get poached to another club in europe. Then that guy loses his job becuase he's good at identifying 150-200k talent but can't survive in the million dollar player pool. A la the "peter principle".

I gotta imagine the ability to create that team is out there too
I actually don't think it is, at least not in the form you describe.

A mediocre baseball player gets a hit 1 out of every 4 at bats. A great player 1 out of 3.

This is the same thing. The skill doesn't exist to get it right all the time. The real question is - When scouting players in the sub-250k range, what is the success ratio for average vs exceptional GMs?

Anyone have an idea of what those ratios are?

Reactions: gbservis and Kjbert
DPs are DPs, they are outside the team structure as they have unlimited salaries. So doesn't take a brilliant mind to slot a great player in these 3 spots, more like it takes deep pockets.

but the rest of the team could be filled by great players who get paid like mata, ~150k. I was just daydreaming that there is a brilliant manager out there that could fill each one of those roles with a Mata type player. But in reality its like you said its a system that identifies talent. No one person could personally scout every player in the world. But these players are out there!

I gotta imagine the ability to create that team is out there too, but the minute a manager shows those talents in the MLS they get poached to another club in europe. Then that guy loses his job becuase he's good at identifying 150-200k talent but can't survive in the million dollar player pool. A la the "peter principle".

The hope is that CFG discovered Matarrita. Or that the appeal of CFG drew Matarrita's agent (and others) to approach CFG. Wouldn't be the first time.

Our 4 international signings this Spring (Matarrita, Bravo, Mendoza, Martinez) have all been successes so far. All have contributed more so far this year than Mena, Calle, Mendoza did all of last year.

Reactions: Paul and FootyLovin
I'm just glad Kaka is the highest paid DP cause it would look even worse if Lamps was the highest paid DP AND hasn't put a single minute on the pitch this year. Atleast he's tied for 2nd with Galaxy's own Stevie G

Reactions: Kjbert
The hope is that CFG discovered Matarrita. Or that the appeal of CFG drew Matarrita's agent (and others) to approach CFG. Wouldn't be the first time.

Our 4 international signings this Spring (Matarrita, Bravo, Mendoza, Martinez) have all been successes so far. All have contributed more so far this year than Mena, Calle, Mendoza did all of last year.
I agree completely with your main point, but Martinez has only played twice, and last night wasn't especially good. I don't even remember his first appearance. Mena did more last year than Martinez has -- so far -- this year. With 22 games left he can surpass that as it's not that high a bar, but he isn't there yet. OTOH the other current 3 are so far superior to last year's crop that I feel churlish for pointing out this disagreement.

I agree completely with your main point, but Martinez has only played twice, and last night wasn't especially good. I don't even remember his first appearance. Mena did more last year than Martinez has -- so far -- this year. With 22 games left he can surpass that as it's not that high a bar, but he isn't there yet. OTOH the other current 3 are so far superior to last year's crop that I feel churlish for pointing out this disagreement.

We agree. Mena has done so little positive in 1.5 years, that Martinez playing 70 minutes last night and not bringing down a guy in the box is a win to me. He's easily the worst of our 4 Central/South American signings so far.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I actually think that's a good distinction but slightly misplaced. The real distinction would be to categorize signings into (I think) these four categories:
  • Damaging - due to financial commitments way out pacing the contribution and therefore locking up cap room
  • Inconsequential - the signing contributed little, but so what
  • Effective - created clear value
  • Highly effective - diamond in the rough
By these standards I'd say the following:
  • Damaging - Mena
  • Inconsequential - Calle, Mendoza, Martinez
  • Effective - Brillant
  • Highly effective - Bravo, Mata
This makes the advantage of this year's signings much clearer in my mind.

I actually think that's a good distinction but slightly misplaced. The real distinction would be to categorize signings into (I think) these four categories:
  • Damaging - due to financial commitments way out pacing the contribution and therefore locking up cap room
  • Inconsequential - the signing contributed little, but so what
  • Effective - created clear value
  • Highly effective - diamond in the rough
By these standards I'd say the following:
  • Damaging - Mena
  • Inconsequential - Calle, Mendoza, Martinez
  • Effective - Brillant
  • Highly effective - Bravo, Mata
This makes the advantage of this year's signings much clearer in my mind.

Take it a step further?

• Damaging - Mena, Iraola
  • Inconsequential - Calle, Mendoza, Martinez, Gomez, Johannsen
  • Effective - Brillant
  • Highly effective - Bravo, Matarrita

Take it a step further?

• Damaging - Mena, Iraola
  • Inconsequential - Calle, Mendoza, Martinez, Gomez, Johannsen
  • Effective - Brillant
  • Highly effective - Bravo, Matarrita
Nemec under damaging?
I'd put Nemec in inconsequential due to his short stay. Damaging comes about when cap space is hurt over a longer period. With that in mind.
  • Damaging - Mena, Iraola, Lampard
  • Inconsequential - Calle, Mendoza, Martinez, Gomez, Johannsen, Nemec
  • Effective - Brillant, Pirlo
  • Highly effective - Bravo, Matarrita, Villa
Depending on how things progress, given how the team is clicking, if things continue as they are I think there will be a case to be made for moving Pirlo up to highly effective.

Then, of course, we could do a US players version, but too many forum members' heads would explode.

Yeah, we don't really need new venues with fixed, arbitrary classifications for the Great Mix Debate.
Or do we?!?!
Let's say we're not ready to go there ... yet!

In the meantime, let's get mathematical. I posit we can turn this into a point system as follows:
  • Damaging = -3
  • Inconsequential = 0
  • Effective = +2
  • Highly effective = +4
Double all points for DPs.

Based on that if we compare our 2015 signings with our 2016 signings we get:
  • 2015: -2 points
  • 2016: +10 points
That's a pretty stark contrast.

Let's say we're not ready to go there ... yet!

In the meantime, let's get mathematical. I posit we can turn this into a point system as follows:
  • Damaging = -3
  • Inconsequential = 0
  • Effective = +2
  • Highly effective = +4
Double all points for DPs.

Based on that if we compare our 2015 signings with our 2016 signings we get:
  • 2015: -2 points
  • 2016: +10 points
That's a pretty stark contrast.
To the spreadsheets!!!

At least with NYCFC you know the guys making the most money are big names that sell jerseys and put butts in seats regardless of what they are doing (or not) on the field. Must suck to be a Fire or a Quake and see the highest paid players are Gilberto or Innocent.