Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Saunders

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • Mix

Votes: 29 23.6%
  • Matarrita

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
Will add a poll for MOTM once math is complete. Creating now so I can start adding highlights.

Goal TMac 1-0

Goal Taylor 2-1

Goal Shelton 3-1

Goal Mix 4-2

Thanks much for posting goal replays! I am a big fan of Tommy Mac and thrilled he made goal 1 for all of us this season. (A Christmas gift from my H 2015 - a jersey with number 15!) Mac Attack.

Reactions: Jock
Johansen needs to play next week in order to fully implement PV's game plan. I'm not hoping Saunders is injured or anything of that sort; he needs to see the bench based on performance alone. He made some nice saves today but he simply isn't a keeper to play out of the back.

Thank you!

I was coming on here to write the same thing. Honestly, anybody that's blasting Brillant today either doesn't know what to look for from the other players on the field or just want to be the first to condemn the guy. Saunders may have been told to pass out of the back, but he probably wasn't told to wait for Chicago to get in position and then telegraph&slow roll it to Brillant. That was setting the guy up to fail. Then there was journeyman Hernandez. The guy is snail slow, held numerous attackers onside, and never bothered to cover behind Brillant when he was running step for step with Acaam - even the commentators mentioned JH wasn't helping out. If those two didn't leave Brillant dangling, we wouldn't have given up more than a goal.

That said, our D today was not even close to our starting D. Iraola being out moved White from his CB pairing with Brillant and put White in a less familiar spot. Then enters Hernandez and there's no continuity between Brillant and Mataritta. It sure wasn't pretty, but considering only two of the four were playing their normal spots Im not surprised.

Please do yourselves a favor and don't start claiming the sky is falling after this game. It's not. Hopefully by next week Iraola is back which will get the right guys in the right positions, and more importantly we have to hope Lurch gets a run out.

#mobilepost

The answer is somewhere in between. I see what people are saying about Hernandez failing to hold the line properly, which cause Brillant to look out of place. But Brillant made some individual errors today as well.

On the goal, Brillant could have corrected Saunders' mistake by one-touch clearing it. But he tried to square up and take on the Chicago player when he clearly didn't have time/room to do so.

Don't understand why Saunders is playing that ball with his weak foot to a player that has no options but playing it back or kicking it long. Both are at fault for that goal but Saunders really needs to see that his three players around the 18 are all being man marked by Chicago
As we all noticed in the past, and I am not surprised, that Saunders made a poor judgement call by distributing a short pass to man marked defender. I really suspect this has to do with his deep lack of confidence of his long ball kick and under the time pressure he made panicky decision again. His skill handicap is what exacerbates his poor decision making... The two reinforce each other. To quote Trump, once a choker, he is always a choker in sports. Not replacing the goalie is my biggest complaint against our off season acquisition effort

Saunders was limping and wearing a leg brace after the game.

Reactions: Kjbert
The answer is somewhere in between. I see what people are saying about Hernandez failing to hold the line properly, which cause Brillant to look out of place. But Brillant made some individual errors today as well.

On the goal, Brillant could have corrected Saunders' mistake by one-touch clearing it. But he tried to square up and take on the Chicago player when he clearly didn't have time/room to do so.
As I said in shout box, Brillant seemed to not understand just how damn fast the players here are, especially Accam. We played no MLS sides in preseason.

I'll buy what you're saying, but I'm not sure Brillant was even expecting to receive the pass since the Chicago player was so close. He looked absolutely surprised to have the ball at his feet.

Reactions: Kjbert
Khiry was a major weak spot to me. Seems to have made no progress since last year. Still has no clue what to do with the ball once he gets it. Fast, but doesn't really play fast. That goal was pure luck, I think he kicked it in by mistake. I'll be clamoring for poku in that spot. Poku is not at CM in this formation.

Reactions: BEC SPK
Wow sometimes I really do wonder what game some of you are watching. The end result 4-3 vs a much improved Chicago team on the road, first game of the season, really not a lot to complain about. But lets get to the credit and the bashing.

Really nothing much to complain about on the offensive side. I say the following players absolutely killed it today and this is a direct result of the confidence that a guy like PV gives his squad. Instead of playing afraid to make mistakes, they play loose, and they feel more comfortable with the ball at their feet.

Tommy Mac - What a game by this kid. I was very critical of him last year and honestly I though we needed to eventually look to get someone with better skill with the ball but his pass to Mix, his shot with the first goal, just overall his total composure and awareness has been much improved. Case in point look at when he receives that pass that led to his goal. Before he receives the pass he is looking behind him and to the site for Tony Taylor, and then he sees that Chicago was giving him space forward, which he took, and unleashed another beauty. Great job Tommy. I hope you keep improving and the way it seems, he will be another key member of our team this year.

Mix - Last I felt Mix kept getting bashed unjustly. Kreis kept playing him on the wing where he is completely lost and not his position. PV has him playing more towards the middle, to Pirlo's right and he is freaking ball. He was all over with some great hustle plays (as usual) with a great assist to Shelton's goal, when had no balance (what a ball!!!!) and the volly to score, was just amazing. Loved what I saw from him.

Tony Taylor & Khiry Shelton - Their speed on the wings, and then PV interchanging them during the game for a bit to confuse the defense is going to be key for us moving forward. Both of these guys used their speed to their advantage to open up the space infant of the box for everyone else. Loved it!

Josh Saunders - What can you say about Josh. The guy was tremendous with stopping the ball, no rebounds, and he absolutely has tremendous heart, and is not afraid of contact. I love that about him. What he desperately needs to work on, is his distribution but at this point in his career, he is who he is with his distribution. More on this in a bit.

Matarrita - Really positive game from him. Didn't blow anyone away but was very solid.

Brillant - Made a really dumb play to give Chicago that second goal but overall I thought he did pretty decent, especially dealing with the speed of Accam and Iggy. One thing that I was very disappointed is that PV kept playing a high backline against them and that cost us so many counters and if Chicago had any finishing skills they could have won today. I thought Brillant kept up with Accam as best as he could considering Accam has 10X more speed.

Brillant will only improve. Once Iraola comes back and Ethan White is not on the flank, our backline will get better. Plus not many teams in MLS have the speed that the Fire have. Those guys can absolutely run.

What I didn't like was the nonchalant way Pirlo passes the ball. He had a lot of turnovers today, as he did last year. PV needs to speak with him and let him know he needs to be quicker with the ball.

Speaking of being quicker with the ball, why the heck are we playing possession in our box and close our flag with guys like Brillant and Saunders, and Pirlo who is lazy as fuck with the ball. BOOT THE BALL UP FIELD!!!!!! We gave away so many balls in preseason doing this same exact shit. Even the Chicago announcers made a point saying NYCFC gave up to many turnovers in preseason playing possession with the GK and it cost. Lo and behold, it cost us this game too. Another thing, you can't play this style of game when your GK has a weak leg and his distribution is crappy. Stop giving teams easy chances on our net. This needs to get better.

Other then that, really I am stoked about the result. Great team win. Did we make mistakes? Of course. But these three points will help us tremendously get into the playoffs. Cant wait for next week.

Brillant was woeful, guys. Ignoring his positional shortcomings/chemistry with Hernandez, the number of times he gave the ball away at the back, or was outpaced when chasing the ball was unforgivable. He was embarrassed and outclassed out there and it was seriously, seriously worrying. If the midfield is going to be as attack-focused as it is, then we just can't afford to rely on defenders who are out of their depth. I hope it was some combo of tiredness and nerves, but he looked for all the world today like we've signed an irredeemable dud.

Positives? Shelton and Taylor made a nuisance of themselves, so we finally have an attacking outlet for the days when Villa goes missing (like today). Mix showed the kind of grit and quality that was missing so often last season. TMac made space for himself and showed the confidence to do something with it. Saunders is still a basket case, but he made some smart saves. Got to like the number of chances we created, but Chicago were just hopeless at the back, they'll be hammered a few times this year.

Brillant was woeful, guys. Ignoring his positional shortcomings/chemistry with Hernandez, the number of times he gave the ball away at the back, or was outpaced when chasing the ball was unforgivable. He was embarrassed and outclassed out there and it was seriously, seriously worrying. If the midfield is going to be as attack-focused as it is, then we just can't afford to rely on defenders who are out of their depth. I hope it was some combo of tiredness and nerves, but he looked for all the world today like we've signed an irredeemable dud.

Positives? Shelton and Taylor made a nuisance of themselves, so we finally have an attacking outlet for the days when Villa goes missing (like today). Mix showed the kind of grit and quality that was missing so often last season. TMac made space for himself and showed the confidence to do something with it. Saunders is still a basket case, but he made some smart saves. Got to like the number of chances we created, but Chicago were just hopeless at the back, they'll be hammered a few times this year.
Oh my. Mix hater badge for you. He was about the only grit (and a significant portion of any quality) we had last year.