What about this:
4-3-3, or 4-2-1-3 depending on your preferences

-----------------Johansen-----------------
Iraola-Brillant-Harnandez-Matarrita
--------------Bravo---Pirlo----------------
--------------------Mix----------------------
Shelton-------Villa-------TT/Mendoza

Why:
-4 man back line allows for our FBs to go forward without leaving one single CB stranded on an island
-Bravo can help the CBs with counters when said FBs go forward, as well as covering for Pirlo, which is something we need.
-Mix can gallop and run about wherever he needs to be, and has some space not taken up by the Penguin.
-Shelton on the right has given us better results than having Mendoza in. I was high on Mendoza after his first sub appearance, but he has gotten progressively worse these past few games. Maybe stick him on the left since I also don't think TT does anything much either.

The weakest point, in my mind, with this formation is the Left Wing. Both Taylor & Mendoza haven't impressed much at all on either side. Maybe even stick Mac out there for his positional sense around the box and better soccer knowledge that TT/Mendoza. I'm hoping Harrison can come on and immediately go HAM on the left side, but I think that's a bit much to ask for.

I like this too, but maybe put TMac in for Taylor.

I'm sure that this has been discussed, but what exactly is the deal with viewing the game? The kickoff is 4pm, but the game is tape delayed?

I'm sure that this has been discussed, but what exactly is the deal with viewing the game? The kickoff is 4pm, but the game is tape delayed?
You can watch it live on the Fox Sports Go app or tape delayed on YES. I think they're aiming for a 5pm start, but it would presumably be later if the Yankees game went long.

Given how the Yankees are playing, the game will probably be over by 2:30, although baseball will still be happening as late as 4:15.
Off-topic but related rant:

I'm not a baseball fan by any stretch of the imagination - probably because I don't consider the players to be real athletes and the actual game is boring as hell - but my biggest pet peeve with a baseball game is that there is absolutely no way to predict the length of a game - it can go on forever. I'm not even talking about overtime/extra innings - just the basic game. While Football and Basketball have their share of long games because of stoppages like running out of bounds to stop the clock or free throws or time outs, there is still a running clock to keep both the immediate play in motion and the overall game. With baseball, an inning can take forever if the batter keeps hitting foul balls or the pitcher makes endless throws to a base trying to keep a runner in check, or the fielding team makes multiple pitching changes (and they get their warmup throws). The sport (I use that term begrudgingly) should place limits on foul balls - the hitters should out after X-number (3?) of foul balls. And put a pitch clock on the pitcher (that starts once the catcher catches the pitch) so that he has to throw within 15-20 secs (or whatever number makes sense) otherwise it's called a Ball for the hitter. Do this, and the games will go much faster - the players may ever break a sweat - and possibly TV programming won't ever have to get bumped.

-rant over-

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Given how the Yankees are playing, the game will probably be over by 2:30, although baseball will still be happening as late as 4:15.

The fastest game I went to was Kansas City at Seattle. Zack Greinke threw a 1 hitter and KC won 3-0. The game lasted 2 hours and 6 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: mgarbowski
On paper it would be two CDMs, but since one of them is Pirlo, it's really only one. The reason I think this may be better is that when Pirlo was with Juve, at least with their run to the CL Final and ownership of Serie A, he was in a midfield with Vidal and Pogba. Vidal and Pogba were able to run for days and either one could help out against a counter if Pirlo was caught upfield or out of position. I believe it will give Pirlo the ability to spread the ball around better with two middies who can run relatively well. Basically, Mix (Pogba) and Bravo (Vidal) are the much lesser versions of the Juve (and ex-Juve) midfielders.

The CBs and CDM would basically create a triangle, thwarting counters and other offensive chances. when Hernandez decides to run upfield and stop a pass, only to be caught out of position, Brillant won't be left alone on an island as Bravo will be tracking back to cover Hernandez or wherever the next pass has gone, slowing play and allowing either our fullbacks or Mix to help in tracking back and stifling the initial counter.

Since LW has been so terrible for us, I figure it's worth a try to put Mac out there. We don't have too much depth, so why not try it out the next two or three games until Harrison has the lungs to go a full 90 or 70-80 minutes. TT just makes the same run, and Mendoza was even worse coming down the left than the right side. Mac has the knowledge to put himself in the right spot at the right time, and possibly send in a decent cross for Villa to bury.

Outstanding post (even with the Marchisio oversight).

I'm not a baseball fan by any stretch of the imagination - probably because I don't consider the players to be real athletes

Yikes.

I don't think you thought this post through so we will give you a pass.

Go to a batting cage and try hitting a 85 MPH pitch (if that speed is even available).

After swinging and missing horribly, imagine hitting a 95 MPH fastball.

Yikes.

Go to a batting cage and try hitting a 85 MPH pitch (if that speed is even available).

Compared to most sports, baseball is an outlier when you plot players on a graph of skill on one axis and athleticism on the other. Being a better athlete will help any baseball player, but if your skills are amazing (eg bat speed and hand/eye coordination) you can do well even if you are very out of shape. The usual observation this inspires is that this makes baseball players seem more "like us," because that have relatively fewer chiseled bodies.

But to me, it highlights the differences. I might look like Prince Fielder in silhouette, but his skill set compared to mine is like someone from another species, and there's nothing I could ever do to change that. But nothing besides diet and hard work kept me from having a body similar to other top athletes. And with that sort of hard work you can become a perfectly serviceable player in most sports -- not at the pro level -- but at a small college for example, you could probably play soccer, football or basketball (which one depending on your body type, stamina, etc) if you work hard, and do basic stuff like rebound, block, tackle, run, position yourself well, etc., and are in good shape. But in baseball if you can't hit you're basically useless at any level. Ask Michael Jordan.

Then we have different definitions of "real athletes".

162 game season is a long grind. It requires athleticism (ok we can agree that relief pitchers don't have to be real athletes).

Miguel Cabrera (regardless of his physique) is most definitely a "real athlete" in my book.

Yikes.

Oh, I thought it through and stand by it. mgarbowski mgarbowski points out many of the reasons I'd list if he hadn't already. Skill vs athleticism is key. It's why I'd also group golf in the same category as baseball. In both the muscular & cardiovascular systems can be under-developed and yet it doesn't affect the skill needed to hit the ball. I'm not saying Baseball players aren't skilled, because they do have great hand/eye coordination, but 3 at bats a game & 3-5 secs (if that) of sprinting every 10 minutes is hardly athletic - hell, the only stamina they really need is standing on their feet for 10-15 minutes each inning.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
What are we wearing tomorrow? We average 3 PPG in the #HypnoKit, and it's the closest thing we have to a Prince homage.
But our home kit probably contrasts better against Philadelphia.
I'm sure they'll find a way to wear the primary kit, even though we're on the road and our record sucks in it. Hopefully somebody at the NYCFC mothership makes the same Prince connection you did and pushes it.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I know it's Passover but: Our manager, who art in Philadelphia, hallowed by thy lineup, include thy Eirik, and thy Poku, for goals will be stopped and scored for three points. Amen.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Status
Not open for further replies.