Orlando Postmatch

I'm sure it was hard to stomach the goal when having given everything they they see some teammates go lazy on their marking and positioning.

Was it pirlo, first and foremost who didn't hustle over to mark? If so, what do you do about that? It's not like you coach him up... So we accept that he provides some amazing stuff, and the downside is situations just like that yesterday?

Was it pirlo, first and foremost who didn't hustle over to mark? If so, what do you do about that? It's not like you coach him up... So we accept that he provides some amazing stuff, and the downside is situations just like that yesterday?
I'm not sure it's the attacking mid's role to be tracking back on Molina...

While I disagreed with the booing at the NJ game, I could still semi-understand the arguments for.

Yesterday I found it completely useless and nonsensical. You (the booing fans) are not sending a message to CFG (not one that's heard by them anyway). The only thing you are doing is satisfying your own anger and/or ego needs and demoralizing the TEAM. It's not just Frank who hears the boos. It's the whole team. And they seem to be one. And every time you boo you show that we (the fans) are not one. We are not one with each other. And we are not one with the team.

I'm at YS every game to cheer my team and help them win. I wish we all could get behind that purpose.

I 100% agree with this. The team is never going to hear this as booing one player, or sending a message to CFG. They are going to take this as the fans turning on one of their own. All I can say is - please stop.

To me, it sounded like 60-40 cheers to boos. I get what happened in the New Jersey game, but it needs to stop.

All of you who are talking about giving up your season tickets, I hope you have front row somewhere. Because I have tickets I want to upgrade from where they are right now. Your loss will be my gain.

There are few things I look forward to and enjoy (yes, even when we tie or lose) more than NYCFC games (yes, even in shitty YS).

I will second this. I went from 2 to 3 tickets this year and am more likely to go up than down, that's for sure.

It was a great time yesterday - bad ending, yes, but following this club has been fun in these rough, early times, and it is only going to get better.

Ok but he was closest. Who should have made it their business to get on that guy? Lampard?

Basically, we had 3 guys at the top of the box ball watching, who should have run into the middle once the first cross came in. Our players were doing the same as the fans: waiting for the official to blow the whistle and wondering why he hadn't.

Reactions: Paul and mgarbowski
Yeah I think the latter. Less a tactical issue at that point, more an individual awareness/effort kind of thing

That's all on PV. You put everyone in the box bar Villa and Mendoza and the goal doesn't happen. I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that we had so many players away from the play.
I do assign blame to Mendoza, as he was actually in the box, just not involved.
Clearly not at fault
Shelton and White marked the guy who sent the cross and Shea on the sideline.
RJ marked Larin, Hernandez marked Hines.
I don't blame, but I guess you could make a case
Iraola stood by the side of the 18 to block a passing lane and pick up Shea if he went that way to goal. This ended up being useless but I think needed to be done.
Brillant stayed close to goal, not really marking anyone. Again, I think he had to do it.
Worst offenders
Pirlo, Lampard, Mendoza. In the box doing nothing.

That only leaves Villa, who has the least responsibility to be in the box there, unless you want to say that given the game situation all 10 should be there.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
That's all on PV. You put everyone in the box bar Villa and Mendoza and the goal doesn't happen. I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that we had so many players away from the play.
I'd go one farther and say everybody in the box except for Mendoza (lightning speed and no height) and Pirlo (defense is not on his CV). Villa is a terrier that scraps for every ball - he is the perfect person at the end of the game to be dropping deep. Not blaming villa at all, just saying those would be my tactics.

I have never seen a professional team so squarely ignore the fundamentals of icing a game with the lead. It should be the easiest of fixes because it's so simple. The only player who drives to the corner is Villa. Everyone else amazingly goes for goal as if it is minute one (except Mix when he's in). I am baffled by how many goal kicks and goalie possessions we give up in the last minutes. It's so strange because these are the most basic of tactics that we learn as kids.

I have never seen a professional team so squarely ignore the fundamentals of icing a game with the lead.

PV is trying to run up the score to prove something about his style of football. It's really dumb.

Reactions: Ulrich
PV is trying to run up the score to prove something about his style of football. It's really dumb.
That's a straw man. Of course PV sounds hubristic and stupid when framed that way. But is he really doing this to "prove something?"

Of course, not.

He does what he believes will create the best chance of success. If Mendoza's cross brings a goal, the game is sealed and we're singing their praises. In 2014 against Portugal Yedlin dribbled to the corner to kill the game only to be dispossessed and see Portugal go the length of the field in approximately 5 seconds to score the equalizer at the death.

PV seemed to be operating on the principle that the best way for the team to win was to play the game the way they had planned to play. And if (a) the players played the last 30 seconds with effort and/or (b) ORL failed to execute perfectly (and what we haven't mentioned is that was one hell of a cross, a great header back, and a terrific finishing header) and/or (c) Mendoza or Villa score at the end, we're all talking about the great tactics and terrific subs.

You can hate the decision. But don't throw out ludicrous characterizations as straw men just to throw someone under the bus.

I didn't say he is dumb. I said he makes some dumb decisions.

You are not going to convince me that not making defensive subs at the end and actively trying to kill the game is the right decision.

Also I find your use of the word ludicrous to be just that.

Finally, I believe the 0-7 was on his mind and he wanted to put up at least 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats on Vieira to me. Lampard is not a defensive sub. If anything he should have come on for pirlo. Mix plays defense, taking him out was dumb.

That's not hindsight either. I am sure many of you thought that was a dumb sub also when it happened

Thats on Vieira to me. Lampard is not a defensive sub. If anything he should have come on for pirlo. Mix plays defense, taking him out was dumb.

That's not hindsight either. I am sure many of you thought that was a dumb sub also when it happened
I was fine with Lampard coming in, assuming that meant a fourth midfielder. Mix clearly slid up to forward though.

The Mendoza sub, on the other hand, I have no idea.

Vieira keeps saying he's not going to change his style to adapt for Yankee Stadium. Whether that's different players or different tactics on the smaller pitch.

There's two possible answers here to why:

Either he's a lot smarter than all of us when it comes to soccer (not difficult to imagine).

Or his hubris won't let him admit his mistakes (not difficult to imagine someone who went undefeated thinks he's beyond reproach).

If it's the first, then we have a tremendous manager. If it's the latter, then it's Kreis 2.0. Unfortunately we won't find out until either we win big or fall flat.

Vieira keeps saying he's not going to change his style to adapt for Yankee Stadium.
I'm not sure that's 100% true, but maybe 95%...
When PV was answering my question the other night about whether he felt he was tactically flexible enough, part of his answer was about how the pitch narrowness does affect his tactical intent, which is to play wide and stretch the opposition to create 1 v 1 situations. As he elaborated it sounded like he wants to stick with that idea *while* finding other ways to exploit the situation as it is, but he was vague beyond that point. Overall he did sort of admit that tactically he's not very flexible in that he establishes the strategy and then relies on the players to improvise within that strategy to compensate for the opposition.

One thing I don't mind is his commitment to not playing a 4-2-3-1 like basically every other MLS team. That said, what should he be doing to deal with the narrowness? Going route 1 more often? Not his style. Relying on rapid switches of play? Maybe, but he seems to want to keep the ball down at least while playing out of the back (which is its own issue). Play narrower? Well, we're already narrow by default and we don't want to cede control of the flanks...

Vieira keeps saying he's not going to change his style to adapt for Yankee Stadium. Whether that's different players or different tactics on the smaller pitch.

There's two possible answers here to why:

Either he's a lot smarter than all of us when it comes to soccer (not difficult to imagine).

Or his hubris won't let him admit his mistakes (not difficult to imagine someone who went undefeated thinks he's beyond reproach).

If it's the first, then we have a tremendous manager. If it's the latter, then it's Kreis 2.0. Unfortunately we won't find out until either we win big or fall flat.
Actually, he may not need to change much since our home record would be stellar if you didn't count the last five minutes of games (and take into account some bad bounces/finishes). We may be the best 85 minute team in the league! PV may just need to change his finishing style.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Actually, he may not need to change much since our home record would be stellar if you didn't count the last five minutes of games (and take into account some bad bounces/finishes). We may be the best 85 minute team in the league! PV may just need to change his finishing style.

Or Don Garber will change the rules so the games only go 85 minutes. Sadly, we're not the Galaxy so this won't happen.