Orlando Postmatch

My perception is that sports are not like other jobs -- it's their life's passion. I do think athletes are different in that way.

As for Matarrita, I don't think his problem is a lack of care. I think too much passion makes players do things they shouldn't. And I wonder if it's also coaching -- does Vieira want him doing one thing, while his CR coach wants him doing something else? And does that chnage the way he plays? I don't think it's a like-for-like comparison.

I'd be even more cynical, I think the Euro transfer hype has Mata seeing $$, and I think he's got people in his ear reminding him that people pay for goals and assists not defense. He plays like a guy whose ego far out weighs his current abilities.

How can our offense suffer without Pirlo when we don't score with him in the lineup?

I am willing to give Maxi 10 games. You should be able to watch a game and know who the DP is.

I think Ring's positioning was the gameplan.

Reactions: Ulrich
My perception is that sports are not like other jobs -- it's their life's passion. I do think athletes are different in that way.

As for Matarrita, I don't think his problem is a lack of care. I think too much passion makes players do things they shouldn't. And I wonder if it's also coaching -- does Vieira want him doing one thing, while his CR coach wants him doing something else? And does that chnage the way he plays? I don't think it's a like-for-like comparison.
While I am not a pro athlete, but I was roommates and business partners with one for a while. Anecdotally, they will absolutely mail it in some days. Even if it's not intentional. The difference between being a pro and a top pro is where you are on those days where you're not there. The best guys who make it in the top leagues are capable of either disassociating their performance to their mental attitude that day or just zoning out entirely. But that is a tiny fraction of the people who are talented enough physically to occasionally reach those levels.

That was our observational theory, anyway. It's why you always hear that there's no talent difference between AA and the majors. There isn't. It's all about controlling that weird effort/mentality thing. Most people, even at levels elite relative to greater pool, are not capable of not having absolute dogshit declines.

How can our offense suffer without Pirlo when we don't score with him in the lineup?

Again, the most goals scored in MLS in 2016 with him starting 32 of 34 matches. Led the team in assists and largely facilitated many of the attacks. You're going to look at one game (or three if you wanna go back to the playoffs) to make your judgement? We've known all along he sucks at defense. It's also not his fault that Villa and others didn't finish his perfect passes tonight.

Andrea's Defense has always been weak through out his entire career no one can change that ! This is a well proven fact over and over again ! So how anyone can expect anything different is beyond me . STOP with this crap already!

You would have a lifetime of running slow to if what was in your shorts was so Big it will prevent the running fast an impossibility !! This is why he provokes such hate and jealousy . I through myself on the mercy of This Court and it's very judgmental jury to just leave the Him Alone !!

This Stallion is running his Last Races ! Please Remember that for each of these games !! THANKS ! :(

The reason why Mata sometimes doesn't play defense is caused by whatever caused him to give up on that play leading to the crushing Altidore goal in the first leg. I don't know what that reason is, but that's the reason.

Andrea's Defense has always been weak through out his entire career no one can change that ! This is a well proven fact over and over again ! So how anyone can expect anything different is beyond me . STOP with this crap already!

You would have a lifetime of running slow to if what was in your shorts was so Big it will prevent the running fast an impossibility !! This is why he provokes such hate and jealousy . I through myself on the mercy of This Court and it's very judgmental jury to just leave the Him Alone !!

This Stallion is running his Last Races ! Please Remember that for each of these games !! THANKS ! :(
I finally figured out why I run so fast.

I need to think a bit more about the performance to decide where I come out, but three quick anecdotes:
  • One of those sports adages (clichés?) is that when you step up a level, part of the transition is needing to be able to slow down your mind and see the game. After Okoli came on and rushed/scuffed the second of his two shots, Maxi was over talking to him just telling him, at least based on hand gestures, to slow down. You could almost see Okoli going a million miles an hour mentally.

• There was a crazy weird incident with Matarrita around the 75th minute. There was a guy about ten rows in front of me who must have been riding him pretty hard. During an injury stoppage, Mata actually came over to the sideline, reached over the side board and shook the guy's hand. Then, as he was retreated, he made the sign of the cross at the guy and waved him off. He seemed very calm and controlled, but it was a strange thing to witness.

• The in-game experience at the stadium was quite cool. Orlando had good atmosphere even at the Citrus Bowl, but the place was absolutely rocking and holds noise very well. They do, however, have a potential real structural issue. When everyone piled out at halftime for food, bathrooms, etc., there was simply not enough physical space in the space behind the stands. You literally couldn’t move. Some of it will probably get better as people start knowing where they are going and there are some small things they can do like move the stands that sell the kits, etc. But, they presumably can’t just push the walls out 10-20 yards (or more) and so I’m curious to hear how they fix it. It was fairly awful even with everyone calm and, I imagine, a disaster in an emergency.

Again, the most goals scored in MLS in 2016 with him starting 32 of 34 matches. Led the team in assists and largely facilitated many of the attacks. You're going to look at one game (or three if you wanna go back to the playoffs) to make your judgement? We've known all along he sucks at defense. It's also not his fault that Villa and others didn't finish his perfect passes tonight.

Ok so here's the deal. You can have Maxi, Harrison, Lewis and Ring OR you can have Pirlo.

The team needs to be built around Pirlo for him to succeed

I guess I am completely clueless about soccer (played and coached my whole life so that is probably not the case) about the people calling Pirlo useless and that he played terribly. Any chance we had offensively was sparked by one of his insane passes. Is he a liability defensively? Definitely. But to say he was terrible today I think completely takes away from the fact he was picking out some absolutely filthy passes. If Villa finishes and I think Ring was one of the others, Pirlo finishes the game with two assists. Is the narrative he was still shit?

I think Moralez is worth every penny. He has an insane work rate but has a calmness about him on the ball.

RJ needs to be benched and we need to go 3-4-3.

It is nice to have a GK who can pass the ball.

Chanot and Callens look to form a formidable pairing at CB. I think our defense is definitely improved as a whole because of them and Sean John.

Definitely a frustrating loss. Orlando is not good and we were the better team, but can't underestimate a) how fired up they were being in their new stadium, b) away games are tough as is, and c) this team will take a few games to gel. Almost an entirely new starting lineup.

I am optimistic going forward and definitely think this squad is more talented than last year. I thought Ring was really good at times but I would like to see Herrera next to Pirlo to see if he can provide better defensive cover for Pirlo. I also wanna see a way to get Okoli and Villa on the field at the same time earlier in matches (go 3-3-4?)

I totally agree. I think Pirlo, for better or worse, was in at the start of every single worthwhile attack tonight. What Jack on the right and Mata/Wallace on the left did with the pinpoint passes they got from him is on them, not on Pirlo. And I don't think there was one instance where he was dispossessed and ORL started a dangerous counter because ORL pretty much did no damage except for the goal and maybe 1 other clear chance. The only way I could see Pirlo being a liability tonight is if his pace forced Maxi to stay away from more dangerous areas and had him playing more 6 than 10. To my eye, Pirlo looked very comfortable, not pressured, and was able to create. His way of providing a final pass will always be from 50 feet away, so that may give the impression he's not incisive enough, but if you look at the dozen of useless bombed crosses from Mata/Wallace, well that's what not incisive looks like. In that sense, only Tommy Mac has something that approaches his quality and imagination, and that's why the quality of the chances improved when he came in for Wallace. Because of the way the team builds from the back, etc. I think we're condemned to play at a Pirlo pace. If we take him out of the lineup it's going to be faster but dumber too. It would be a completely different project.

Notice anything with the sprinklers and the drainage? With the field eight feet under ground level that place is going to be flooding if they don't fix it.
Not that I noticed. They need to sort the half time watering if the pitch because there was some standing water on the field, but they should be able to fix that.

Sad faces, y'all: alphabetically we're 11th in the East right now.
ChtCaU6.jpg

Onward and upward!

(for real, tho', it's kinda interesting that there were only two wins* this GW in the East... unfortunate that one of them was the Cows.)

*speaking too soon about PHI... they're in the middle of playing VAN, but let's be real

Soccer can definitely be the least fair of sports. From what I understand (I watched our match and not the scum at Atlanta) we played a much better game then they did but that's the table we have to look at all week.

Reactions: Ulrich