Orlando Postmatch

98% of NYCFC fans are great, but then there's that 2% of people who call themselves fans of this team who are an embarrassment to the team, to the city, and to the sport. That guy should never be allowed in an MLS stadium ever again.

And 50% of that 2% are members of Los Templados, anyone want to place bets on what fan club the seat stealer belongs to?

I don't think it's an overreaction. Orlando was injured Going into this game. They were missing 3 starters I think. Back line was thrown together. Plus kaka got injured. We possessed 75% and did very little with it. Missed opportunities. Have every right to be frustrated.
Frustration, sure. I'm frustrated. I'm talking about the people completely losing it over this game. A game we controlled. Had some good chances, but couldn't finish. Bendik was also very good.

News? It's the nycfc forums
Okay. Wouldn't be on their forums. Point stands, even strengthened. It literally doesn't make forums.

I've seen worse stuff at a bar on Friday night. Like any Friday night. Fucking stupid to make it a thing.

(Yes, stupider to do it. )

Last edited:
I want us to win a big game at some point. Just so we aren't always "typical city".

I really think the organization as a whole is struggling to piece together the amazing corporate philosophy they push at the organization level, and still having supporters feel like the players give a damn.

Not a man city fan, but I feel like I've seen plenty of them complain about similar feelings.

I just feel like we often lack heart. Regardless of the organisation. We too often have dudes that are good and dgaf or they work hard and aren't any fucking good at all. Frustrating as hell.

But it's early this year. And it's encouraging to know we won't have to identify new problems because they are largely the same as last year.

Also, ATL is a better version of what we claim to want to be.
Looks like they play on the same size field as us as well.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Disappointing. It was a pretty poor game that should have been a draw, but they had one chance and took it.

Reactions: Paul
I'm not going to draw too many negative inferences from this game. The loss hurts, and I place the blame for the ORL goal jointly on Callens and Mata. But for the most part we bossed it, and the attacks either fell apart, or resulted in weak shots, or Bendik came up with a save.

Okoli came on too late. The kid had two shots on target inside three minutes. We need to see both him and Villa out on the field at the same time more often.

I'm concerned to see Maxi roaming all over the field. If he's our 10, he needs to be available to be a 10. He can't do that if he's momentarily at LB or at the 6, etc. I want to know if PV told him "go wherever you want", or if he (with his level of experience) is just drifting to where he sees weak spots, or if he just has poor positional discipline. But I think we'll see better from him if and when he stays home more.

The Khiry sub was unfortunately only sensible... it was the closest thing to a like-for-like that we could do. Speaking of, I think Mata and Wallace tried to occupy the same space too frequently, and they need to carve up the wing more intelligently.

Finally, it was really smart of ORL to build a standing-room supporters section, and we should do the same. I couldn't help but imagine a kid who was used to watching NFL games on TV tuning in and going "wow... it looks way more fun to be at a soccer game than an NFL game... people sing and dance and play drums and wave flags and set off smoke bombs... cool!"

Unfortunately the same weaknesses from last season still seem to be present. A midfield that can't tackle, and a build up that is just way too slow. It would take us 4-5 passes just to accomplish what Orlando could do in one. We need to be a lot faster otherwise we are going to keep struggling agianst teams that sit deeper.

I'd also like to see Okoli get a few starts next to Villa. We need more of a presence going forward.

Reactions: Kjbert
the only thing I want to actually take away from this game substantively is that we can't play the way we want to if we aren't strong technically at every position.

That's a lot to ask from an MLS team. Especially one that starts RJ Allen.

I don't know how much of us being good in attack tonight is due to us being decent there and how much is due to them knowing we couldn't break a packed box after they got a lead. We couldn't. Didn't come close other than long balls and scrambles, really.

We do not possess the ball in dangerous areas. Our possession, much like our playing from the back, is an utter fiction.

We complete more than 1 pass in the final third like every 10th time down. Horrible to watch.

I want us to win a big game at some point. Just so we aren't always "typical city".

I really think the organization as a whole is struggling to piece together the amazing corporate philosophy they push at the organization level, and still having supporters feel like the players give a damn.

Not a man city fan, but I feel like I've seen plenty of them complain about similar feelings.

I just feel like we often lack heart. Regardless of the organisation. We too often have dudes that are good and dgaf or they work hard and aren't any fucking good at all. Frustrating as hell.

But it's early this year. And it's encouraging to know we won't have to identify new problems because they are largely the same as last year.

Also, ATL is a better version of what we claim to want to be.

I don't mean to jump on you again because this'll be twice already tonight, but this idea that a professional athlete doesn't care is one of my least-favorite sports fan tropes. These are professional athletes -- if they didn't care, they wouldn't be at this level. Of course these guys care -- sometimes that manifests in nerves (Brillant's first game last year, perhaps a little with Maxi tonight), sometimes it manifests in sloppy play. But to suggest some of these guys are just collecting a paycheck is something I'll push back on every time.

On a more micro level, this game didn't look like a not-care type of game. It looked like a team that had about 90 minutes of time together before today. I think we saw a team with a lot of individual skill, but not a lot fo good team play yet. I think by the time we get to July we're going to be looking at one of the best teams in MLS. The talent is there, the only question is whether they'll jell together.

I don't mean to jump on you again because this'll be twice already tonight, but this idea that a professional athlete doesn't care is one of my least-favorite sports fan tropes. These are professional athletes -- if they didn't care, they wouldn't be at this level. Of course these guys care -- sometimes that manifests in nerves (Brillant's first game last year, perhaps a little with Maxi tonight), sometimes it manifests in sloppy play. But to suggest some of these guys are just collecting a paycheck is something I'll push back on every time.

On a more micro level, this game didn't look like a not-care type of game. It looked like a team that had about 90 minutes of time together before today. I think we saw a team with a lot of individual skill, but not a lot fo good team play yet. I think by the time we get to July we're going to be looking at one of the best teams in MLS. The talent is there, the only question is whether they'll jell together.
I wish you would offer more than your opinion.

Because I'll back mine up with saying watch the difference in defending by Matarrita when CR plays the USA and then when he plays for us.

Sorry to fuck up your world paradigm, but people in every job at every company mail it in. And you think athletes are different?

ETA: Agree about the game on the whole. Disagree with your assertion, as indicated above. Completely think Mata mails it in regularly. He's a big half-asser.

Last edited:
Rivas should have had two yellows and been gone.

Jair cannot control a game.

Shelton has no business taking the field.

I love Pirlo but hope Herrera starts instead of him for the speed and workrate.

Okoli needs to be a 75min sub at worst and preferably even earlier. Only true target CF we have.

Wow. The good news is we had chances to blow them out.

Pirlo was absolutely useless. Not a good sign. He's a negative right now.

Villa needs to finish his. But if our game plan was to lob balls into our 5'9" striker, that's an issue.

I'm in on Wallace. Needs to start. Linked up well with Matarrita who still hasn't learned how to defend.

I feel comfortable with our CB pairing for once.

Ring showed flashes. I think playing next to Pirlo takes away from Ring. I would like to see a Herrera/Ring partnership.

Harrison is still explosive. But we can't be crossing the ball with no target.

RJ allen wasn't crap tonight. He is what he is and I actually played a decent match.

Johnson didn't have much to do. I thought he was comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Shelton is just not good. Should be a sprinter. Maybe a WR. Tommy played well. Ugo was a difference maker.

Biggest issue? Maxi Moralez is a cute little player. it's one game, but there are non-DPs that look like bigger difference makers at the 10. Someone questioned whether he could compete physically in this league, and the answer tonight was NO. Similar issues with Pirlo. I liked his ability to find space and link up but he replaced a guy that scored 12 goals and finished chances. I promise to give him 10 matches but this was a thud for me tonight because he is a DP. TAM player? I'm ok with it.

Any word on the Camargo exclusion? Knock? Slow to learn the system? Tactical? Other?

Any word on the Camargo exclusion? Knock? Slow to learn the system? Tactical? Other?

My bet is one dimensional, do D no link up ability. Would be happy if I'm wrong.

Reactions: JayH