Per Twellman - Jozy Altidore Negotiating With Mls - Nycfc Not Involved

This may confirm, or at least lend support for, the rumor that a 4th DP will be added in the new CBA.

Why should we believe that RBNY is willing to spend the money necessary to bring in a new DP? Looks like they are cutting salary and recruiting young inexpensive players to fill their roster.
Yeah I was thinking to ease some fan tension, plus the fact Jozy is a former Red Bull. Could be wrong, but that's my guess.

@Paul nails it in this thread.

His comments lead me to believe that a 4th DP is assured.

I think he is off to Portland if he comes back to MLS. Too weird to see a list with them on it. It's one of those, which of these teams doesn't fit - NYRB and TFC are (have been?) teams that spent like drunken sailors. Portland is much different in their approach. And I don't people hate this word, but it's good for league parity. That could be a very exciting team to watch if he joins Portland.

Altidore on Portland might make then one of the top teams in the West.. Thats going to be a scary team to play if he goes there. Probably expecting the DP number to rise after the CBA as well.
Seattle, LA, SKC and RSL all disagree with you. :)

Red Bulls are out, they don't Want to Pay him $5 million+
When did you learn they were out? Wasn't it just reported yesterday they were in?
Red Bulls have some serious issues right now. They're academy employees are all about to leave. They've also got 2 offers for the club.
The Wahl article said last year they had 2 offers. What is this about their academy employees? Thats new.

Sorry gentleman and ladies if present I got caught up doing that "work thing"

Yes you're correct

When did you learn they were out? Wasn't it just reported yesterday they were in?

The Wahl article said last year they had 2 offers. What is this about their academy employees? Thats new.

This is from Wahl

As for the academy information I will look when I get a minute but in essence the information I gathered was as follows.

Tuesday night there during a meeting there was a heated exchange about the staff and how their involvement with the academy players. During the meeting the staff wasn't told about Petke until they heard it from the media wed morning. No one was fired but there is rumors of mass exodus.

Reactions: Kjbert
We'd be fools not to scoop them all up.

I wouldn't go THAT far, but you are right. If there are people out there who know how to build the local infrastructure, go for it. I think you will see a CFG person (a Barca person?) running an NYCFC Academy, But it's extremely important to have people that know the local communities involved.

Reactions: Paul
Tuesday night there during a meeting there was a heated exchange about the staff and how their involvement with the academy players. During the meeting the staff wasn't told about Petke until they heard it from the media wed morning. No one was fired but there is rumors of mass exodus.

Interesting. I wonder how far back their Academy issues go. Dan Metzger wanted to enter the draft rather than sign on as a homegrown player. I also know that AJ Kmeic, from the town I went to high school in, chose to play high school soccer rather than continue on in the Red Bulls academy. He said it was all about playing with his youth coach again, but now I wonder if there was more to it than that. http://www.recordonline.com/article/20140927/SPORTS31/409280316/-1/varsity24?template=printart

Last edited:
Reactions: SayWhat44
funny thing is I think they are the best represented team on the junior US squads.

Reactions: SayWhat44
Interesting. I wonder how far back their Academy issues go. Dan Metzger wanted to enter the draft rather than sign on as a homegrown player. I also know that AJ Kmeic, from the town I went to high school in, chose to play high school soccer rather than continue on in the Red Bulls academy. He said it was all about playing with his youth coach again, but now I wonder if there was more to it than that. http://www.recordonline.com/article/20140927/SPORTS31/409280316/-1/varsity24?template=printart

Yeah I think fairly deep Metzger wasn't the only one. That being said youth soccer is a beast in its own. Parents and kids egos are just a nightmare.

I'm sure they will put up a fight. I think Portland + Jozy is up there. I don't know if i'd say better, but its up there.

I think the point is you now have another squad with some serious attacking options up front.

Reactions: USAfan6
So if Defoe stays and Ridgewell does come back, the other teams in the Jozy Quest have 3 DPs each.

I know we think that means there are more DP slots coming, but could it also mean Ridgewell or Defoe are probably not coming? Or how about TFC is trading Bradley to NYCFC! Yeah I like that one better.