Ronny Deila Named NYCFC Head Coach / Deila Joins Standard Liège

What Are Your Thoughts on Deila as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Displeased

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
NYCFC can open camp in 20 days and there's not even a rumor of who the coach will be.

Can’t expect anything till January 2nd. My rep sent me email they out till that day, I can imagine rest of FO to be the same

Reactions: Kjbert
Can’t expect anything till January 2nd. My rep sent me email they out till that day, I can imagine rest of FO to be the same
I doubt ticket reps and sporting staff are on the same schedule. They have completely different responsibilities and up times and down times.
But I wouldn’t be shocked if we’re without a coach on New Year’s Day.

I doubt ticket reps and sporting staff are on the same schedule. They have completely different responsibilities and up times and down times.
Decision coming from Manchester so NYC’s Holiday & Office hours are moot.

Reactions: Kjbert
Maybe we're waiting to announce the new head coach until the first minute of NYE so it can be the first "manager signing" of 2020, similar to Jesus Medina.

Correlation does not mean causation
Lol of course, it was just a throwaway joke. I'm not necessarily against astrology but applying it to football transfers is out there even for me.

OTOH if the club were to be completely ignorant to the optics of repeating the Medina stunt that would also be a bad look. Given how that turned out I mean.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Lol of course, it was just a throwaway joke. I'm not necessarily against astrology but applying it to football transfers is out there even for me.

OTOH if the club were to be completely ignorant to the optics of repeating the Medina stunt that would also be a bad look. Given how that turned out I mean.

Medina ends 2020 season with the golden boot and MVP honors. Calling it.

For CFG's coaching plan to work, they need a real coaching tree and hierarchy. What does that even look like? For simplicity, looking at three of the satellite locations:

ManchesterNew YorkMelbourne
Tier 1Head Coach
Tier 2Assistant CoachHead Coach
Tier 3Assistant Coach; U-21 EDS CoachAssistant CoachHead Coach
Tier 4U-18 EDS CoachAssistant CoachAssistant Coach

Vacancies in your tier or above should automatically make you a candidate, though not all lateral or upward moves will be desirous to all candidates. They can also consider outside hires, but should prefer internal hires.

This silly mockup would make the following our internal candidates:

Manchester Assistant Coach - Brian Kidd
Manchester Assistant Coach - Rodolfo Borrell
U-21 EDS Coach - Paul Harsley
New York Assistant Coach - Rob Vartughian or Javier Perez (whichever is senior)
Melbourne Coach - Erick Mombaerts

If something like this yields no legitimate candidates, CFG need to rethink their strategy on coaching staffs. For example, not fuck around with us waiting for some other branch of the tree to settle before deciding what to do, and maybe letting NYCFC make some of its own decisions once in a while.

Last edited:
For CFG's coaching plan to work, they need a real coaching tree and hierarchy. What does that even look like? For simplicity, looking at three of the satellite locations:

ManchesterNew YorkMelbourne
Tier 1Head Coach
Tier 2Assistant CoachHead Coach
Tier 3Assistant Coach; U-21 EDS CoachAssistant CoachHead Coach
Tier 4U-18 EDS CoachAssistant CoachAssistant Coach

Vacancies in your tier or above should automatically make you a candidate, though not all lateral or upward moves will be desirous to all candidates. They can also consider outside hires, but should prefer internal hires.

This silly mockup would make the following our internal candidates:

Manchester Assistant Coach - Brian Kidd
Manchester Assistant Coach - Rodolfo Borrell
U-21 EDS Coach - Paul Harsley
New York Assistant Coach - Rob Vartughian or Javier Perez (whichever is senior)
Melbourne Coach - Erick Mombaerts

If something like this yields no legitimate candidates, CFG need to rethink their strategy on coaching staffs. For example, not fuck around with us waiting for some other branch of the tree to settle before deciding what to do, and maybe letting NYCFC make some of its own decisions once in a while.
Coaching trees are great until they become stagnate and homogeneous. It’s oftentimes good to have a new face/new ideas come in and blow up the same as yesterday mantras with similar but different tendencies and methods. Obviously, doing this mid season is ridiculously arrogant and stupid.

Nick Saban brings in a new offensive coordinator every other year and has gone from a running team to a passing team. Same with the defense bouncing from a 3-4 to a 4-3 to a 4-2-5, all depending on the defensive coordinator. But the whole time it’s under the corporate overview of Saban.

CFG is living exclusively through Pep’s genius. New coaches join up and mold to him and his way - once he leaves, the City Way is going to come to a crossroads where they’re either going to try to maintain his blueprint via Acolytes that probably don’t grasp it 100%, or realize that tactical fads in soccer are cyclical and being married to them as a genetic makeup of the org is a dangerous folly. I’m really curious how committed Pep still is to ManCity, considering Klopp is walking away with the EPL, and if he’s within a year’ish of walking.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Coaching trees are great until they become stagnate and homogeneous. It’s oftentimes good to have a new face/new ideas come in and blow up the same as yesterday mantras with similar but different tendencies and methods. Obviously, doing this mid season is ridiculously arrogant and stupid.

Nick Saban brings in a new offensive coordinator every other year and has gone from a running team to a passing team. Same with the defense bouncing from a 3-4 to a 4-3 to a 4-2-5, all depending on the defensive coordinator. But the whole time it’s under the corporate overview of Saban.

CFG is living exclusively through Pep’s genius. New coaches join up and mold to him and his way - once he leaves, the City Way is going to come to a crossroads where they’re either going to try to maintain his blueprint via Acolytes that probably don’t grasp it 100%, or realize that tactical fads in soccer are cyclical and being married to them as a genetic makeup of the org is a dangerous folly. I’m really curious how committed Pep still is to ManCity, considering Klopp is walking away with the EPL, and if he’s within a year’ish of walking.

I didn't write that to defend their strategy, but to defend their strategy, if 2 to 6 of those 10 roles I outlined turn over every year, and 50% are replaced internally and 50% are replaced externally, that's 10% to 30% of new blood in the tree every year. Could work. Full turnover every 4-8 years or so.

I didn't write that to defend their strategy, but to defend their strategy, if 2 to 6 of those 10 roles I outlined turn over every year, and 50% are replaced internally and 50% are replaced externally, that's 10% to 30% of new blood in the tree every year. Could work. Full turnover every 4-8 years or so.
Sorry, didn’t mean to suggest you were defending it (didn’t think you were), was just adding my 2cents that the CFG focus on internal hires is flawed.