Ronny Deila Named NYCFC Head Coach / Deila Joins Standard Liège

What Are Your Thoughts on Deila as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Displeased

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
With the schedule changing so that you don't play every team, let alone an equal number of times, MLS cup is the only way to really declare a champion.

This argument has been made many times. It's no different than champions league and the world cup. Doesn't matter how many qualifying matched you won. If you can't perform in the tournament, you lose. And the opposite is true. Barely qualify for the world cup and then win it with a remarkable performance in a month long tournament

Reactions: Kjbert
In the regular season? No. In the postseason? Hell yes.

You're suggesting that PV and Dome were outcoached by managers who were somehow better postseason coaches (with whatever set of intangibles that entails). While no-one could ever be happy with our playoff performances, I personally put our four defeats to either being outclassed by an obviously superior opponent (Toronto '16 and Atlanta) or being edged out by the extreme weirdness and bad luck that comes with the playoff territory (Columbus and Toronto '19). It wasn't for the lack of some kind of mysterious postseason mojo.

Those seven games alone won't convince me that PV and Dome didn't do great things here. I saw enough over the four years. I didn't want either to leave and would happily go into another playoff campaign with either one in charge.

You're suggesting that PV and Dome were outcoached by managers who were somehow better postseason coaches (with whatever set of intangibles that entails). While no-one could ever be happy with our playoff performances, I personally put our four defeats to either being outclassed by an obviously superior opponent (Toronto '16 and Atlanta) or being edged out by the extreme weirdness and bad luck that comes with the playoff territory (Columbus and Toronto '19). It wasn't for the lack of some kind of mysterious postseason mojo.

Those seven games alone won't convince me that PV and Dome didn't do great things here. I saw enough over the four years. I didn't want either to leave and would happily go into another playoff campaign with either one in charge.

Honestly I agree with you -- but I also think you can't call either of them a top coach in this league until they win something in the playoffs. Do I think Toronto's coach is better than Dome? No, but he won. Do I think Seattle's coach is better than Dome or PV? Not really, but he's won something. It's a results business, and you have to win something if you want to be the best.

The playoffs are a silly way to determine a champion -- it's not the best team that wins, it's the luckiest. And I'm not sure what impact, if any, a coach has in that. But I maintain that point that this lottery of a playoff system rewards winners. No one cares who the regular season champion is.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Honestly I agree with you -- but I also think you can't call either of them a top coach in this league until they win something in the playoffs. Do I think Toronto's coach is better than Dome? No, but he won. Do I think Seattle's coach is better than Dome or PV? Not really, but he's won something. It's a results business, and you have to win something if you want to be the best.

The playoffs are a silly way to determine a champion -- it's not the best team that wins, it's the luckiest. And I'm not sure what impact, if any, a coach has in that. But I maintain that point that this lottery of a playoff system rewards winners. No one cares who the regular season champion is.

Well if a key component of being a top coach is being lucky then maybe we're waiting for our official CFG tarot reader to return from Christmas break before we choose our next manager.

While I agree with you that most people will base their opinion of a coach solely on results, this is far from ideal IMO. I'd love if the level of understanding of the game amongst fans improved to the point that this is no longer the case.

I'm not saying that results don't matter.

Regardless, is it really that important to talk about what "people" think on this topic? Isn't it more important to talk about what we think as individuals? The way I figure it, if we don't actually talk about what we think as individuals then that idea of what "the people think" remains stagnant.

While I agree with you that most people will base their opinion of a coach solely on results, this is far from ideal IMO. I'd love if the level of understanding of the game amongst fans improved to the point that this is no longer the case.

I'm not saying that results don't matter.

Regardless, is it really that important to talk about what "people" think on this topic? Isn't it more important to talk about what we think as individuals? The way I figure it, if we don't actually talk about what we think as individuals then that idea of what "the people think" remains stagnant.

I have 2 criteria for a successful coach (and successful NYCFC season)

1) I want NYCFC to play an attractive style of soccer that I can share with anyone I know whether they are knowledgeable about the sport or not.

2) I want the team to have a real chance to win the MLS Cup. My standard for whether a team has a "real chance" is if the team has a home playoff game.

The team has met my 2 standards for the last 4 years. PV and Dome are successful coaches. Kreis' team didn't meet either standard. I was happy to see him go.

1) I want NYCFC to play an attractive style of soccer that I can share with anyone I know whether they are knowledgeable about the sport or not.

2) I want the team to have a real chance to win the MLS Cup. My standard for whether a team has a "real chance" is if the team has a home playoff game.

The team has met my 2 standards for the last 4 years. PV and Dome are successful coaches. Kreis' team didn't meet either standard. I was happy to see him go.
Good criteria.

Reactions: Sabo

Yeah these are good. But re (2), if I were picking NYCFC's next coach from within the league I'd take Almeyda or Vermes, whose teams missed the playoffs this year, over Schmetzer or Vanney.

I’m sure you have data to back that up dummyrun dummyrun but I think you’re still wrong.

Schmetzer is looking like the second best coach in MLS history right now.

Almeyda runs a rigid system and no ability to change his tactics or adjust.

Vermes is a very good coach.

Yeah these are good. But re (2), if I were picking NYCFC's next coach from within the league I'd take Almeyda or Vermes, whose teams missed the playoffs this year, over Schmetzer or Vanney.

Definitely. I would rather watch 34 games with an attractive style and miss the playoffs than a season of stodgy 1-0 and 0-0 results that get a team a home playoff game.

K Kjbert I give a pass to Almeyda in terms of results this year. He was attracted to MLS because he thought he would have a chance to build a team over a number of years and he had about zero input into the roster for 2019. There were games he should have changed his style and didn't (crowded fixtures, heat, etc.) but SJ was fun to watch this year with essentially the same roster that was god awful to watch the year before.

This is my current theory and I’m sticking with it until I’m proven wrong.

CFG in regards to nycfc

giphy.gif

Apparently, the front office is closed from December 20th to January 2nd. I guess all Tweets were programed (i.e. pre-posted with a timeline release). That being said, they haven't tweeted in 4 days.

That being said, they could at least acknowledge it's Christmas or Hanukkah or anything.
They always did in years past and Booth was tweeting about Man City on his own account 2 days ago so ?

They always did in years past and Booth was tweeting about Man City on his own account 2 days ago so ?

The front office being closed means that my philosophy on this is a bit more simple than everyone else's: I believe in Occam's Razor, usually the simplest explanation is the correct one.

So I just think the no holiday message was an oversight. Someone made a mistake and forgot about it. I know we like to always assume the greater conspiracy when it comes to this team, but it was probably just a mistake. These guys are about to leave the office for two weeks and they just forgot.