Ronny Deila Named NYCFC Head Coach / Deila Joins Standard Liège

What Are Your Thoughts on Deila as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Displeased

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
I don't buy the most common response/suggestion that it's either a Kreis or a CFG manager in training. Just like we believe/expect that CFG attracts a better caliber player, we can expect that CFG can certainly attract top quality manager candidates who aren't necessarily part of an internal progression. There may be a natural assumption by the candidates that they have a future in the network. But we need to eliminate management decisions that are primarily for the benefit of CFG rather than what is in the best interest of NYCFC. That shouldn't be a problem. That doesn't mean it's Kreis or the tree.

I don't buy the most common response/suggestion that it's either a Kreis or a CFG manager in training. Just like we believe/expect that CFG attracts a better caliber player, we can expect that CFG can certainly attract top quality manager candidates who aren't necessarily part of an internal progression. There may be a natural assumption by the candidates that they have a future in the network. But we need to eliminate management decisions that are primarily for the benefit of CFG rather than what is in the best interest of NYCFC. That shouldn't be a problem. That doesn't mean it's Kreis or the tree.

If it was a Man City assistant coach, don't we think he already would have been hired? If it was GVB, he'd already be here. At this point we kind of have to assume that they're looking outside the CFG group to find a coach. This coach will most likely still have similar philosophies to Dome and Vieira, but there's a reason we've had a six-week delay in finding a coach. Maybe they were waiting for the Arteta decision and what it would mean to GVB, but if that's the case then he'd have been announced by now. The biggest surprise to me is how nothing has leaked about this.

That leaves Patrick for us. We swoop in and take him back in the middle of Nice’s season. Poetic justice.

giphy.gif

Dude did win the league with Pachuca but Monterrey arguably was much more stacked and only got the CCL, lost two finals and same with Pachuca after a year it started going downhill. I mean he got fired this year in Monterrey after 3 months in like 13 ish place outside top 8, new manager comes in and now they one win away from winning the title.

I think he can do ok but I feel he loses the trust of players after like a year. He gets figured out and can’t adjust. Also depends if he gets good DP’s I think he gets saved by big impact players but that’s limited in MLS.

Reactions: Kjbert
To add, think about what Red Bull did. They jettisoned a successful coach (Petke) and brought in a guy they felt could run things the Red Bull way (Marsch) and now he is working up the chain and having success at every step. So, if there is a guy in MLS who manages something close to the city way, it may be worth trying. That said, the CFG guys have done really well for us, even if the turnover has undermined that success.

That said, the CFG guys have done really well for us, even if the turnover has undermined that success.

I do think this is an important point that is getting overlooked. Vieira had his faults and there were fair criticisms, but he was a great coach for us until he left. Dome struggled for a while, had that awful 20-game stretch from the end of last year to the beginning of this year, then the team was best in MLS from mid-April until the end of the season. Both coaches really were very good here, and there's no reason to think CFG is going to "mess up" this coaching search since they did pretty well with each of the last two hires, including the guy that was brought in quickly after Vieira left.

I do think this is an important point that is getting overlooked. Vieira had his faults and there were fair criticisms, but he was a great coach for us until he left. Dome struggled for a while, had that awful 20-game stretch from the end of last year to the beginning of this year, then the team was best in MLS from mid-April until the end of the season. Both coaches really were very good here, and there's no reason to think CFG is going to "mess up" this coaching search since they did pretty well with each of the last two hires, including the guy that was brought in quickly after Vieira left.
I think that you make the point you are not trying to make with the "until he left" and "Dome struggled for a while". The "until he left" derailed a season while at our peak. The "Dome struggled for a while" contributed to the derailed season and threatened another season/possibly interfering with a SS run for a stacked team. We can do better than that if our priority is to solely do what is best for NYCFC.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I think that you make the point you are not trying to make with the "until he left" and "Dome struggled for a while". The "until he left" derailed a season while at our peak. The "Dome struggled for a while" contributed to the derailed season and threatened another season/possibly interfering with a SS run for a stacked team. We can do better than that if our priority is to solely do what is best for NYCFC.

I absolutely get that point, but I'm judging the hires based on the job each coach did while he was here, not based off the impact of each coach leaving. On a pure coach's results basis while they were here, both did a very good job. The fact that both departures are being seen as such a stark negative bears me out on that.

Seattle and Toronto each made 3 of the last 4 MLS Cup finals so the answer is a resounding, no, there were two teams coached better.
And that's why a lose-and-you're-out tournament is just a ridiculous way to decide who the best team is. Simply put, four wins in a row in October should not outweigh 34 matches over 8 months. What a crazy way to decide things!

And that's why a lose-and-you're-out tournament is just a ridiculous way to decide who the best team is. Simply put, four wins in a row in October should not outweigh 34 matches over 8 months. What a crazy way to decide things!
True, but using your parameters, NYCFC has never been the best during the regular season, not one Supporter’s Shield. Tops in the east is only good enough to delay getting knocked out of MLS Cup a week while on home turf.

change the rules or accept the MLS cup champion as the one that truly matters. no one remembers FC dallas as the best team just a few years ago when they won the shield. or even when NJRB win them.

Reactions: ZYanksRule