Ronny Deila Named NYCFC Head Coach / Deila Joins Standard Liège

What Are Your Thoughts on Deila as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Displeased

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters

First interview.
I know it's 'club sanitized', but still very worth the listen. Talks about tactics, mentality, etc.
I thought the question about MLS being different from European leagues being different/how he'll prepare/what he expects to be difficult was interesting. Don't think they asked that Dome that, though we later found out he had some thoughts about it

I thought the question about MLS being different from European leagues being different/how he'll prepare/what he expects to be difficult was interesting. Don't think they asked that Dome that, though we later found out he had some thoughts about it

Yeah there was some interesting stuff in there.

Selfishly, I'm glad we now have a coach where English is his first language. With Dome, and even to a lesser extent with Patrick, there were things lost in translation, it was hard to be sure exactly what he was trying to say, and that led to confusion. I'm glad we found a coach where we'll be able to very clearly understand what he's trying to say. That's really important for a coach in my opinion.

Selfishly, I'm glad we now have a coach where English is his first language. With Dome, and even to a lesser extent with Patrick, there were things lost in translation, it was hard to be sure exactly what he was trying to say, and that led to confusion. I'm glad we found a coach where we'll be able to very clearly understand what he's trying to say. That's really important for a coach in my opinion.
Pretty sure Norwegian is his first language. Interesting combination of Scandinavian and Scottish accents in the video interview, though!

for fans sure, but im sure the likes of maxi, heber, taty, our offensive engines like getting instructions in a language they understand better ( or in hebers case closer to his language)

Reactions: Futbolkicks
Pretty sure Norwegian is his first language. Interesting combination of Scandinavian and Scottish accents in the video interview, though!

Well, OK. But he speaks very clear and understandable English. That's nice for fans. And Fantazma Fantazma, agreed on that part. Not sure what the answer to that question is, but what about the other players who don't speak Spanish? You're not going to please everyone.

Reactions: Kjbert
Well, OK. But he speaks very clear and understandable English. That's nice for fans. And Fantazma Fantazma, agreed on that part. Not sure what the answer to that question is, but what about the other players who don't speak Spanish? You're not going to please everyone.

i was just mentioning the players where the goals and assists came from for the team. i think thats why under Dome they were maybe able to pick up ideas quicker because they all fully understood what was wanted of them. especially maxi its important to know the game plan. With PV he has the italian going ( or was it french?) and with Dome the spanish. especially since maxi struggles with english ( though in a spanish interview he has said he doesnt really care for it).

Im sure it wont be much of an issue but sometimes i feel its just better if a coach can communicate better with his players than with fans in the press conferences/ interviews.

Reactions: Futbolkicks
Question.

What is the reasonable expectation for how long Deila should take to get his ideas implemented and the team playing well? I don't think it is fair to expect us to be hitting on all cylinders out of the gate, but the fans are going to be impatient nonetheless.

There aren't too many data points for MLS clubs with good rosters hiring an outside coach. With us Vieira took about 8 games to start having real success and didn't have us playing our best that year until around game 16. Dome, of course, came in midseason and didn't get things going until game 7 of the following year (26 games total).

The only other example I can think of is De Boer, whose honeymoon period was either 7 games or 20 games depending on how you look at it. They were 6 points in their first 5 games, then won 5 in a row. After that, the team backslid a bit and only got 10 points from the next 9 games before playing well down the stretch.

Based on all that, maybe some struggles for the first 6-8 games, then a transition period, then (hopefully) good form after 15-20 games.

i was just mentioning the players where the goals and assists came from for the team. i think thats why under Dome they were maybe able to pick up ideas quicker because they all fully understood what was wanted of them. especially maxi its important to know the game plan. With PV he has the italian going ( or was it french?) and with Dome the spanish. especially since maxi struggles with english ( though in a spanish interview he has said he doesnt really care for it).

Im sure it wont be much of an issue but sometimes i feel its just better if a coach can communicate better with his players than with fans in the press conferences/ interviews.
As long as Maxi understands he’s not allowed to take PK’s, the rest can be translated by his teammates for him.

I'm not uplifted about this hiring. I think there were other candidates out there and clearly NYCFC didn't get its top pick(s) given the lateness of this announcement.

One thing though is that we were terrible before we had Heber on our team, and he was something like the 9th player on the list of strikers to sign (Ola Kamara was higher up). When we finally got the piece to fit, everything worked (except for #MataTackle in the end). Hopefully that's the same case here. But I think we still need 1-2 more solid piece for 2020 that aren't coaching related.

First interview.
I know it's 'club sanitized', but still very worth the listen. Talks about tactics, mentality, etc.
I guess he feels at home already as he's giving interviews in a wrinkled white tee shirt.

I'm happy we have another offense-minded coach. We have a lot of pieces to use. I hope he plays to the players' strengths out the gate. I don't see a lot of improvement across the board in the East, so there's no reason we can't contend for the #1 seed again.

eh depends, i think DC is improving a bit and i think orlando will be a playoff team,

Reactions: Kjbert
I wonder when his staff will be announced and how long until they get here. Also I believe we need to hire a new Head Athletic Trainer as Keven Christen seems to be headed elsewhere.

Reactions: Kjbert and LionNYC
What is the reasonable expectation for how long Deila should take to get his ideas implemented and the team playing well? I don't think it is fair to expect us to be hitting on all cylinders out of the gate, but the fans are going to be impatient nonetheless.
I’m probably an outlier, but I’ll likely give him a full season before trying to draw real conclusions. Among other factors, given the timing of his hire, how much input will he realistically have on the roster? Even with as good a team as we have, hard to say we’ll really see Deila’s vision before next season, if he’s working with a squad built for someone else’s tactics.

Anyway, I’d like a guy to stick around a while. Four managers in six seasons is too much turnover.

I want to give him a long leash. Absent evidence of massive incompetence or such, he deserves a shot and it's not his fault much of the fan base is tired of coaching turnover and our FO has squandered all trust. I also don't think there's a formula or timeline. Frankly the roster is so stable right now there's no reason they can't get off to a fast start and even do well in CCL (or at least one of CCL or early regular season). But they might not, and if they don't it could be because of random stuff as much as anything. Maybe we just underperform our xG, or front load all our defensive lapses into March (which could be a blessing!), or whatever.

"One familiar face awaits Ronny in the NYCFC locker room. Winger Gary Mackay-Steven was brought to Celtic Park by Deila from Dundee in his first year as Celtic boss"

:angry: :rage: :triumph: :poutingcat: :angry: :rage: :triumph: :poutingcat: :angry: :rage: :triumph: :poutingcat: :angry: :rage: :triumph: :poutingcat:

giphy.gif

Question.

There aren't too many data points for MLS clubs with good rosters hiring an outside coach. With us Vieira took about 8 games to start having real success and didn't have us playing our best that year until around game 16. Dome, of course, came in midseason and didn't get things going until game 7 of the following year (26 games total).

The only other example I can think of is De Boer, whose honeymoon period was either 7 games or 20 games depending on how you look at it. They were 6 points in their first 5 games, then won 5 in a row. After that, the team backslid a bit and only got 10 points from the next 9 games before playing well down the stretch.

Based on all that, maybe some struggles for the first 6-8 games, then a transition period, then (hopefully) good form after 15-20 games.

That's a very good question, but I'm not sure what we should expect here. Atlanta was learning a new coach and had lost their No. 10. We have our entire top half of the roster back and a coach that seems to believe in a lot of the same principles as Dome. So maybe it won't be quite as bad at the start? Impossible to know for sure. Definitely Dome's struggles at the start should be a concern, but it's so hard to figure this out based on what's returning and how similar his coaching style appears to be to Dome's.

CFG fumbling with their family tree candidates may work out to our advantage with a guy who doesn't appear as likely to bolt or be promoted internally. And are we really going to do that much better than someone like this in MLS? It's MLS, and we play in a baseball stadium. He's a guy with some success in the top tier. Even our CFG affiliated coaches (both who I thought were terrific) were a newbie and an assistant - they weren't top guys in the coaching echelon. Assuming we still consider those two to be A-Minus level managers by virtue of the CFG connection - I will still take the B-Plus quality guy looking for tenure vs. 1.5 seasons of an A-Minus CFG peg. I have been preaching that, so I will continue to go with it.