Ronny Deila Named NYCFC Head Coach / Deila Joins Standard Liège

What Are Your Thoughts on Deila as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Displeased

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
Brian Sciaretta just on SiriusXM FC applauding Miami hire and kind of crapping on Ronny hire. Said it is uninspiring and no team he coached was ever sad to see him go.

i thought this too but based on replies yesterday seems majority of celtic fans still like the guy

i thought this too but based on replies yesterday seems majority of celtic fans still like the guy
Fair, but I read more "great guy" than "great coach" in their comments. Don't get me wrong, I'd actually prefer "great guy" to "great coach" if I had to choose. But I'd rather have both.

I think we will need to get an opinion from Valerenga and Celtic tactical nerds for me to feel good about the latter.

Fair, but I read more "great guy" than "great coach" in their comments. Don't get me wrong, I'd actually prefer "great guy" to "great coach" if I had to choose. But I'd rather have both.

I think we will need to get an opinion from Valerenga and Celtic tactical nerds for me to feel good about the latter.
We’ll watch/we’ll form our opinions. Every circumstance for a coach is different. And coaches certainly learn from their experiences.
I care a lot more about what a guy like you will say after a month or two than what some rando from Norway says.

sure, i felt that saying no one is sad to see him go is incorrect. it could be one of those "sad it didnt work out but we still like the guy" type of things.

his coaching skills is still something im not convinced of.

Reactions: Christopher Jee

He won’t have much time to prove himself. First time in CCL for NYCFC and it’ll come with only a month of training.

Let's be honest, no one's expecting a run. We may beat the first team, but then we'll have tigres...
From what’s been said here we’re expected to get through the first round. Let’s say we don’t and with all that’s been said about him not doing enough in the past it’ll get ugly on here quick.

Reactions: Kjbert
Let's be honest, no one's expecting a run. We may beat the first team, but then we'll have tigres...

I find your lack of faith... Disturbing

He won’t have much time to prove himself. First time in CCL for NYCFC and it’ll come with only a month of training.

I hope he can throw something together to prepare for the Florida preseason games. From his interview, his style and how he wants to play sounds a lot like what we already do. So, there shouldn't be many changes if any. I just don't think he'll be as tactically flexible as dome. But we will see. Hope he proves all the haters wrong.

I find your lack of faith... Disturbing

I hope he can throw something together to prepare for the Florida preseason games. From his interview, his style and how he wants to play sounds a lot like what we already do. So, there shouldn't be many changes if any. I just don't think he'll be as tactically flexible as dome. But we will see. Hope he proves all the haters wrong.

I think you have to look at the roster, too -- this is one of the best rosters in MLS. So like his time with Celtic when he won with the best roster, I don't think we should expect him to profit off this roster. I don't know anything about Norwegian soccer, but you have to think our roster in this league is far better comparatively than his roster in that league.

We’ll watch/we’ll form our opinions. Every circumstance for a coach is different. And coaches certainly learn from their experiences.
I care a lot more about what a guy like you will say after a month or two than what some rando from Norway says.
Disagree with me while complimenting me. I see you FredMertz FredMertz

TBF I think it will be difficult to get a real handle on him any sooner than 9-12 months, and as long as 18 months depending on how much he plans to form this team. I know he's saying he doesn't plan on changing much but that's also before he's really gotten an inside look at us. He might not agree with pineapple on pizza.

Great guy. Mediocre coach. Great man management.

Celtic fans always really liked him. But if he had stayed longer, they would have soured on him. Couldn’t get over the UCL hurdle and lost to a relegates Rangers.

I have a Ronny Roar shirt somewhere.

His record at Valerenga doesn't bother me. They spent most of 2014 near bankruptcy and without even a shirt sponsor. They've apparently stabilized, and have their own stadium for the first time ever., but I'm not sure whether they have the free cash to acquire players to challenge for the top. He has them treading water, and I just don't know if that's as good as can be expected or if he should have done better. And he did win in this league on a team that was not an annual winner.

I'd like learn more about why SPL fans are heavily down on him. I understand he won but not as easily as he should have. Was it training, tactics, adjustments, roster management? Player and locker room management?
Are Valerenga's financial woes also a factor in why, right before he cam here, he signed the 3-year contract extension with a massive pay cut? I assume some of that was performance-related, but appreciate the commitment to the team. (Former Celtic boss Ronny Deila makes personal sacrifice to stay with Valerenga, 12/13/2019).

On your second point, did you see the Athletic article by Kieran Devlin (What NYCFC fans can learn about new manager Ronny Deila from his time at Celtic? 1/6/2020). First, it highlighted one thing that I hadn't seen in any of the other articles: "Celtic had originally intended for former Manchester United captain Roy Keane to be Lennon's successor, with Deila as the assistant manager -- the implication being that Deila would take over once Keane left after a few years. But the Keane deal fell through, and Deila was offered the main job." It then discusses specific aspects of his coaching philosophy and how he modernized the team, but it sounds like after a promising first year, he was undermined in the locker room by some who did not want to go along with the program and that contributed to some psychologically bruising defeats that I imagine soured fans (losing to Malmo in Champions League qualification playoff; 2-1 defeat at home to Motherwell after being up 1-0; knocked out of Europa League in group stage; only eeking out league title after the league split; defeated by Rangers, then in 2nd tier, in Scottish Cup).

edit: added link to Athletic article

Last edited:
On your second point, did you see the Athletic article by Kieran Devlin?
I dropped my Athletic sub a few months ago so I haven't seen that and thanks for the summary. The Roy Keane bit is new to me also. The rest is consistent with what I've seen in other articles and in the active twitter discussion among Celtic fans. Not everyone agrees with the assessment, but that is definitely the narrative being discussed.

Reactions: Kjbert and danger
Disagree with me while complimenting me. I see you FredMertz FredMertz

TBF I think it will be difficult to get a real handle on him any sooner than 9-12 months, and as long as 18 months depending on how much he plans to form this team. I know he's saying he doesn't plan on changing much but that's also before he's really gotten an inside look at us. He might not agree with pineapple on pizza.
That’s not at all what I was doing, you handsome guy you!

At Vålerenga he said that if the fans raised 50% of the money for a new tifo framework, he would put up the rest.”

giphy.gif