Ronny Deila Named NYCFC Head Coach / Deila Joins Standard Liège

What Are Your Thoughts on Deila as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Displeased

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
Tweet got taken down. Was going over there to comment lol.

The tweet saying "show me a club that reports on rumors" (or whatever it was) was pretty annoying.

If it was an intentional caricature of what fans would like - that illustrates bad faith and we don't deserve that.

If that's really what he thinks fans want, then he's awfully out of touch with the community, which seems pretty on brand for the FO at this point.

I see this all the time in the context of organizational communication. People say they are afraid of giving an update if there's nothing to update. The misconception is that only new information is worthy of communication. But communication isn't just about transmitting data, it's about signaling to your audience how you regard them. If the club understood this, then a non-update becomes a way of telling your fans that you know they are impatient and concerned and that you are doing everything you can to give them something. And you explain why you can't say more.

It's possible that they are wary of saying too much because they are afraid of exposing their incompetence. I've never been a fan of that approach. I have far more confidence in people who can admit their mistakes and tell me how they are going to act differently going forward, than the people who hide and hope their mistakes won't be noticed. That ship has sailed for CFG and they'd be much better served IMO by convincing us that they've learned from past mistakes rather than pretending they've never made any.
CFG is not an organization that will ever admit their mistakes - they are a sovereign wealth fund company owned by a monarch who is accustomed to doing things his/his family's way even if it amounts to human rights abuses.

CFG would be much better served by selling the club to another owner and walking away with their tail between their legs.

Tweet got taken down. Was going over there to comment lol.

The tweet saying "show me a club that reports on rumors" (or whatever it was) was pretty annoying.

If it was an intentional caricature of what fans would like - that illustrates bad faith and we don't deserve that.

If that's really what he thinks fans want, then he's awfully out of touch with the community, which seems pretty on brand for the FO at this point.

I see this all the time in the context of organizational communication. People say they are afraid of giving an update if there's nothing to update. The misconception is that only new information is worthy of communication. But communication isn't just about transmitting data, it's about signaling to your audience how you regard them. If the club understood this, then a non-update becomes a way of telling your fans that you know they are impatient and concerned and that you are doing everything you can to give them something. And you explain why you can't say more.

It's possible that they are wary of saying too much because they are afraid of exposing their incompetence. I've never been a fan of that approach. I have far more confidence in people who can admit their mistakes and tell me how they are going to act differently going forward, than the people who hide and hope their mistakes won't be noticed. That ship has sailed for CFG and they'd be much better served IMO by convincing us that they've learned from past mistakes rather than pretending they've never made any.

By the way, the rumors thing is BS, too. I know for a fact that many sports teams selectively leak their rumors or unofficial signings to certain reporters. That's how professional teams operate. They want to get the information and their side of the story out to their fans, so they leak their stories to reporters. How do you think the Yoenis Cespedes story got out last night? How do you think there's so much reporting on the Knicks all the time? For good or for bad all these teams do it, so it's complete BS to say no team talks about rumors. They all do, they just do it with a wink and a nod.

The fact NYCFC doesn't engage in this sort of behavior, frankly, is yet another sign of their gross incompetence in understanding how things work in this market and in this country. They've never figured it out. There's no reason to think they ever will.

So we lost a good member today because of all this off season hysteria. We’re in this together. We’re all NYCFC supporters and want this club to succeed. Let’s remember that going forward. Going at each other’s throats won’t solve any problems the club may have.

Who is looking forward to being like 3rd/4th in the East this season?

giphy.gif

Any insight on here as to his propensities?
Signs new contract and then bolts.

If I thought he was being noble (he's not), I'd posit that maybe this is his way (it isn't) of paying his current/soon-to-be former club back for his questionable record by ensuring the buy-out money CFG is about to pay......

But can he coach? I don't see how this guy is a good replacement that will continue the city style.

This is gonna be a long, long season of woes...

Reactions: Kjbert and LionNYC
I'll take a wait and see approach I'm not declaring the sky is falling just yet. I think I'd still rather have someone with head coaching experience at senior level then promoting an youth team or back room guy. Also a month or two into last season we were all in full on hysteria the sky is falling mode over the prospect of Dome staying! Now he's irreplaceable ?

I'll take a wait and see approach I'm not declaring the sky is falling just yet. I think I'd still rather have someone with head coaching experience at senior level then promoting an youth team or back room guy. Also a month or two into last season we were all in full on hysteria the sky is falling mode over the prospect of Dome staying! Now he's irreplaceable ?
Definitely happy to let Delia prove himself. Just unsettled by what we’ve seen of the hiring process, and that he’s left his last two clubs less than admired

Definitely happy to let Delia prove himself. Just unsettled by what we’ve seen of the hiring process, and that he’s left his last two clubs less than admired
Same here. Definitely keeping an open mind. He has a decidedly mixed record with some fantastic results but less so lately. Let's see what happens.

The process, however, sucked. I'd feel much better about him if he were hired around Thanksgiving instead of after 2 months of waiting for Gio or whatever we were doing and less than a week before camp starts. This smells of disappointment at best and desperation at worst.

Also, the fact that he probably won't be there to open camp really won't make much difference, but this team has no reservoir of goodwill on which to draw. If we bounce out the first round of CCL I'll join the pile on, because they deserve it (even though he probably deserves it least).

Same here. Definitely keeping an open mind. He has a decidedly mixed record with some fantastic results but less so lately. Let's see what happens.

The process, however, sucked. I'd feel much better about him if he were hired around Thanksgiving instead of after 2 months of waiting for Gio or whatever we were doing and less than a week before camp starts. This smells of disappointment at best and desperation at worst.

Also, the fact that he probably won't be there to open camp really won't make much difference, but this team has no reservoir of goodwill on which to draw. If we bounce out the first round of CCL I'll join the pile on, because they deserve it (even though he probably deserves it least).
I am not ready to convict him personally either as I know nothing about the guy. The process does concern me (a lot) but at least he’s not the obvious quick stop choice. PV was nothing more than a coaching newbie with the value of City schooling, and was great. It will be interesting to see someone with more seasoned experience (as well as how he does or doesn’t buy in to the City way to play). This can go a lot of different ways, buckle up ugh.

I have to say I am very surprised that Delia looks like being the new appointment.

At Celtic he had success, but in truth the opposition wasn't the best when he was there. Although it wasn't helped by the board not really making money available for signings, the main reason why Neil Lennon left, which meant Ronny was made manager instead of being the assistant manager.