Ronny Deila Named NYCFC Head Coach / Deila Joins Standard Liège

What Are Your Thoughts on Deila as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Displeased

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
Something I realized, or at least came to believe, only after 20-30 years of sports fanning, is that a coach or manager’s primary effect is on minds, culture, and the locker room. Not when to bunt, or call timeout, or run or pass, or setting formations and making subs. Those do matter, but it’s the stuff we don’t see and can’t talk about with any certainty that really matters most.

by the way, LOTS of congratulatory tweets from Celtic fans this morning
This is perfect. And some of this also goes for certain players who provide leadership, mentorship, calm and support to their teammates and the locker room. It's a little different than a coach because they also have a responsibility to perform on the field, but these qualities are key and we often aren't privy to much of it. We have had some of those guys (for example SJ) and brought in others (for example AM), and we needed all of that from RD and these guys to make it through the ups and downs of a crazy season on and off the field.

I know it is early, but it's been on my mind. Reading the news about Klopp and Guardiola being the main triggers...

This is Ronny's last season under contract and while I was very skeptical in the beginning, I've come to realize he may not be a tactical genius like Dome, but he's a fantastic man manager. I've also enjoyed the consistency of having the same coach for 3 seasons straight. First time in club history right?

So - any guesses if the club or Ronny want to sign an extension? Or is Ronny heading back to europe and we'll be thrown back into growing pains again next season?

I know it is early, but it's been on my mind. Reading the news about Klopp and Guardiola being the main triggers...

This is Ronny's last season under contract and while I was very skeptical in the beginning, I've come to realize he may not be a tactical genius like Dome, but he's a fantastic man manager. I've also enjoyed the consistency of having the same coach for 3 seasons straight. First time in club history right?

So - any guesses if the club or Ronny want to sign an extension? Or is Ronny heading back to europe and we'll be thrown back into growing pains again next season?
I think he's going to re-sign. :)

Reactions: Kjbert

i think its more probable that he re-signs ? we will have to wait until the summer, but i dont think there are any teams looking for him just yet.

FWIW, which I believe is not much, an anonymous preseason poll by the Athletic of MLS executives found that Ronny Deila topped the vote for MLS coach most likely to take a job abroad with 6. Previously noted here

Personally I think this means nothing more than (1) there were no rumors about any MLS coaches moving abroad, (2) Ronny is both from Europe and already won championships there, and (3) he just won MLS Cup.

I wonder how the WC adjusted calendar impacts things, but I think he stays this whole season. With much of Europe in WC break after MLS Cup, I would expect that to be an extremely active period for managerial openings worldwide.

I think the front office loves him and wants him to remain as long as he's willing.

I am a huge Pep fan. But not today.
Actually on further reflection, I'm not sure tactically what Pep should have done differently. Grealish finishes either opportunity and City advances. And the players just couldn't kill the game. Maybe he could instill a little more discipline, but that hardly seems to be lacking...

Actually on further reflection, I'm not sure tactically what Pep should have done differently. Grealish finishes either opportunity and City advances. And the players just couldn't kill the game. Maybe he could instill a little more discipline, but that hardly seems to be lacking...
I was queasy when he subbed in Fernandinho, but the collapse is on the players, not Pep. They can be so unclinical at times.