Seems Like Miami Isn't Happening, What City Should Replace It?

Judging by how little involvement MLS seems to have had so far, I don't think they are all that big on the Miami market as some have said ITT. Becks is into Miami, and because he got that special option from his playing contract, Miami it is. It would not surprise me if MLS is hoping for Becks/Miami to fail to get a stadium. Perhaps they have a timeframe in the contract in which Becks must meet specific standards to use his option, if they can wait it out and Becks can't get a suitable stadium by the deadline, his option expires and MLS can sell that spot for much more than the $25m rumored to be in Becks option.
Obviously that is speculation since MLS does not reveal any details of any contracts, but I would not say MLS is committed to Miami, they are only committed to the contract they have with David Beckham.

Reactions: einwindir
THINK ABOUT THIS: Liverpool and the Red Sox are owned by the same guy. SO Boston, not N.E, would be perfect. Playing in Fenway for a few years. Think about the rivalry. Think about the supporters. New York has always, and will always be rivals with Boston, in sports and in industry.

THINK ABOUT THIS: Liverpool and the Red Sox are owned by the same guy. SO Boston, not N.E, would be perfect. Playing in Fenway for a few years. Think about the rivalry. Think about the supporters. New York has always, and will always be rivals with Boston, in sports and in industry.
I say yeah if the Krafts can't get it done and build in Boston proper let's get a team in real Boston. They seem to want it the team to be there and not in the burbs.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
i thought creole is a haitian thing
I might as well join in on the beating of this dead horse!

Creole is a term that usually refers to a mix of french and native culture, language, and people.

I think New Orleans would definitely support a MLS franchise. They seem to be able to fill seats at Saints and Pelicans games. I can't see why MLS wouldn't work as well.

Reactions: einwindir
I say yeah if the Krafts can't get it done and build in Boston proper let's get a team in real Boston. They seem to want it the team to be there and not in the burbs.
I sure hope that this doesn't happen. We don't need another city/market with two teams;especially when there are plenty of other areas that are vying for a team.

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders
I sure hope that this doesn't happen. We don't need another city/market with two teams;especially when there are plenty of other areas that are vying for a team.
but would new orleans support a team? the people there do go to saints games yes, but soccer? i doubt that.

also if cities double up on teams, it would create more of a rivalry.

If MLS wants to expand look to Indianapolis. Pretty good sports city, and their NASL team, Indy Eleven got fantastic attendance.

If MLS wants to expand look to Indianapolis. Pretty good sports city, and their NASL team, Indy Eleven got fantastic attendance.
theres ABSOLUTELY nothing in Indy. theres a mall and a white castle. thats it. for soccer being an up and coming sport, Indy would be a bad place to go. the demographic there is too conservative anyway

theres ABSOLUTELY nothing in Indy. theres a mall and a white castle. thats it. for soccer being an up and coming sport, Indy would be a bad place to go. the demographic there is too conservative anyway
Pacers and Colts really haven't had that issue..... and Indy Eleven the NASL team got nearly 11k average to a game, which was easily the highest of all NASL franchises.

but would new orleans support a team? the people there do go to saints games yes, but soccer? i doubt that.

also if cities double up on teams, it would create more of a rivalry.
They very well might. We cannot assume that New Orleans wouldn't support a soccer team.

Who cares about an inner city rivalry. Rivalries will form just as easily with teams from other cities.

Care to explain why the Indiana Eleven have easily the highest attendance in the NASL? I'm sure they would have even more people attending if their stadium was bigger.

Care to explain why the Indiana Eleven have easily the highest attendance in the NASL? I'm sure they would have even more people attending if their stadium was bigger.
let NASL have them then. MLS could get better figures elsewear. (if it was up to me i would get rid of the texas clubs)

let NASL have them then. MLS could get better figures elsewear. (if it was up to me i would get rid of the texas clubs)
Why the hell would you do that?!

Is MLS not trying to build the game across the entire country and not just the east and west coasts?

To be fare we would like a sexier city but if Indy is east cost enough and has the numbers yeah MLS would be stupid not to look at it. It is a city without a summer sport.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
To be fare we would like a sexier city but if Indy is east cost enough and has the numbers yeah MLS would be stupid not to look at it. It is a city without a summer sport.
Why does the city have to be "Sexy"? I don't understand the obsession with all the huge cities.

Why does the city have to be "Sexy"? I don't understand the obsession with all the huge cities.
One way MLS has to grow is TV viewership you want to be in a market with lots of eyes and MLS can start to take that next step in which we are talking about the big 5 North American sports leagues. Part of that is become a viable TV power like NFL, NBA, MLB and NFL and believe it or not UFC. The rise of all those leagues are TV money , part of getting TV money is being in nice, big and sexy TV markets.

Reactions: Gene
One way MLS has to grow is TV viewership you want to be in a market with lots of eyes and MLS can start to take that next step in which we are talking about the big 5 North American sports leagues. Part of that is become a viable TV power like NFL, NBA, MLB and NFL and believe it or not UFC. The rise of all those leagues are TV money , part of getting TV money is being in nice, big and sexy TV markets.
Just because the city has a huge viewer market doesn't mean that everyone within that market is going to be tuning in. Nor does it mean that the people in those markets are going to be filling the stands. I think MLS needs to expand to markets that they can ensure will support the team wholeheartedly, not just big markets.

However, I'm no real expert on TV markets or anything of that sort.