Sounders fire Sigi Schmid

And Kreis already pulled the trigger on accepting the Orlando job.... Bet he's kicking himself now...

Has to be. Unless they decide to go -big name- he probably would've had an interview at least.

I think Seattle is probably the party doing the self-kicking. The Sounders were thought to like Kreis, but they hesitated to pull the trigger on Schmidt and now Kreis is unavailable.

Orlando can be a good job. They have solid fan support and owners that are willing to pony up for top players.
They have owners not hesitant to cut the legs off at the knees of coaches and FO people.

The shortlist according to Matthew Doyle:

• Toronto FC assistant and former Chivas RIP head coach Robin Fraser
  • Former Red Bulls head coach Mike Petke
  • Rio Grande Valley (USL) head coach Wilmer Cabrera, who also coached Chivas and spent time as an assistant under Oscar Pareja in Colorado
  • Ezra Hendrickson, head coach of Seattle's own USL team
  • Jeremy Gunn at Stanford could be an interesting darkhorse candidate
  • New York Cosmos head coach Giovanni Savarese
??? He also floats Roberto Martinez (who was also just speculated, maybe, as possible choice for Atlanta) and Jill Ellis if USWNT win the gold in Rio

Reactions: adam
The shortlist according to Matthew Doyle:

• Toronto FC assistant and former Chivas RIP head coach Robin Fraser
  • Former Red Bulls head coach Mike Petke
  • Rio Grande Valley (USL) head coach Wilmer Cabrera, who also coached Chivas and spent time as an assistant under Oscar Pareja in Colorado
  • Ezra Hendrickson, head coach of Seattle's own USL team
  • Jeremy Gunn at Stanford could be an interesting darkhorse candidate
  • New York Cosmos head coach Giovanni Savarese
??? He also floats Roberto Martinez (who was also just speculated, maybe, as possible choice for Atlanta) and Jill Ellis if USWNT win the gold in Rio

Jill Ellis? Why would Jill Ellis want to leave the USWNT? She's coaching one of the best teams in the world, male or female, club or country.

Last edited:
True. But there's a certain Jackie Robinson aspect to this. Has there ever been a female head coach of a male major professional sports team?

Becky Hammon has been a full-time assistant coach with the San Antonio Spurs since 2014. She was the head coach of the Spurs during the NBA summer league in Vegas.

I think she'll be the head coach once Pop retires.

Reactions: adam
Becky Hammon has been a full-time assistant coach with the San Antonio Spurs since 2014. She was the head coach of the Spurs during the NBA summer league in Vegas.

Leave it to the Spurs to break that barrier. They are a class organization. (Or at least they were when I still paid attention to basketball circa 2010.)

Nancy Lieberman also coached in the D-League. I am pretty sure she is an assistant somewhere in the NBA.

She's a phenomenal coach and really commands the respect of her players through her knowledge of the game.

It really wouldn't surprise me if she ends up replacing Pop after he drops dead on the sideline or something. I think he's going to be coaching until he drops. He's just not one that seems like he'd retire. Lol