Superdraft 2015 Mega-thread

I'm from Norway, and I have no idea what the draft is... Can someone please explain it to me? :)
Its a once-a-year time for clubs to sign or draft college/university age players who are not already part of a club academy. Its very common in most US Sports but also pretty unique to the US Sports scene. Basketball and football, and even hockey and baseball have pretty big college drafts.

The MLS Superdraft, however, is a artifact of the US Sports scene and as such has been slowly getting weaker and weaker as MLS clubs have built up their academies. Add to this, the increase interest of non-American clubs in signing these college-age kids, the draft just keeps getting weaker.

Its a once-a-year time for clubs to sign or draft college/university age players who are not already part of a club academy. Its very common in most US Sports but also pretty unique to the US Sports scene. Basketball and football, and even hockey and baseball have pretty big college drafts.

The MLS Superdraft, however, is a artifact of the US Sports scene and as such has been slowly getting weaker and weaker as MLS clubs have built up their academies. Add to this, the increase interest of non-American clubs in signing these college-age kids, the draft just keeps getting weaker.
Ah, okay, I see :) thanks! That cleared up some things for me :)

Reactions: LostAnvil
Ah, okay, I see :) thanks! That cleared up some things for me :)
Random, do people besides yourself know about NYCFC in Norway? I assume with Jacobson and Brovsky loaned to Stabaek and Stromgodset and possibly Mix Diskerud, surely we're not completely unknown.

Random, do people besides yourself know about NYCFC in Norway? I assume with Jacobson and Brovsky loaned to Stabaek and Stromgodset and possibly Mix Diskerud, surely we're not completely unknown.
I don't think many Norwegians know NYCFC that well really... Some people know about the club because of the players you mention, but I think that Lampard being loaned out to City made more people aware of the club! Personally, I discovered NYCFC because of David Villa, and now I really like the whole concept! But I'm probably one of the very few supporters from Norway. I haven't heard or seen anybody else to be honest... :)

Back on topic...

I think we all agree the two best players in this draft, maybe by a country mile, are Cyle Larin and and Cristian Roldan.

Assuming Mix signs and Frank shows up, and without knowing what the rest of this transfer window has in place, does anyone else agree that we are heavy in the midfield and thin at Forward and Central Defense?

I am not a scout - none of us are that I am aware of - but I would be interested in seeing if Larin goes #1 - if NYCFC moves the #2 pick or takes one of the other guys who might be a tier below Larin and Roldan - guys like Romario Williams (GA Contract), Khiry Shelton or Ramon Del Campo.

Back on topic...

I think we all agree the two best players in this draft, maybe by a country mile, are Cyle Larin and and Cristian Roldan.

Assuming Mix signs and Frank shows up, and without knowing what the rest of this transfer window has in place, does anyone else agree that we are heavy in the midfield and thin at Forward and Central Defense?

I am not a scout - none of us are that I am aware of - but I would be interested in seeing if Larin goes #1 - if NYCFC moves the #2 pick or takes one of the other guys who might be a tier below Larin and Roldan - guys like Romario Williams (GA Contract), Khiry Shelton or Ramon Del Campo.
In the past, moves like that don't happen too often in the SuperDraft. Unless a club is dead set on acquiring Roldan and wants to trade, and we can be relatively sure we can still get our guy, don't expect a trade. Typically, the club will just pick the guy they want, even if he was expected to go several picks later. If we don't have a guy we really want, they may trade the pick out of the draft entirely for either a player or money or something, but I would not expect that at this point. We will take a player, most likely a project type player since I don't think many players can really be expected to step in right away.
It's not quite as exciting as the NBA draft (which I have not followed in years so it may be different) where teams constantly trade, even just one pick down.

Reactions: Kjbert
Back on topic...

I don't think Roldan or Larin could play and contribute meaningfully right away anyway, so either would be perfect to be able to groom for next year.

Reactions: Paul
I don't think Roldan or Larin could play and contribute meaningfully right away anyway, so either would be perfect to be able to groom for next year.

You may be right, but from everything I have read recently, lots of folks think Larin is an impact player today.

Cyle Larin is a Generation Adidas player so what does that mean for the team that drafts him? I'm still a little fuzzy on the GA player rules

Reactions: Kjbert
Cyle Larin is a Generation Adidas player so what does that mean for the team that drafts him? I'm still a little fuzzy on the GA player rules
From what I can tell, it just means MLS has convinced him to leave school early, and he has signed with the league.

Reactions: Vito
With the new CBA we don't know exactly what's going on with the GA program. As it stands for the team, GA designation means the player's salary does not count against the teams cap. For the player, they get some type of benefits related to going back to college if they don't make it.

Reactions: Kjbert and Vito