Toronto - Postmatch

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Managed to get a win with Villa off the field for a good portion of the game and 2 goals after his injury as well.
Hopefully it’s nothing too serious. I worked during much of the game but what I did see was very positive. Had some good possession today. Still too much going backwards. Hopefully he can fix that and get the players thinking more positive. Not quick enough playing out of the back.

If Villa acted as uninterested as Giovinco during this game, I’d be joining all the crazy talk about yanking Villa off the field

Happy to start the Torrent era with a win
I only noticed Bradley at the end when he was doing his patented back pass/time wasting technique while down a goal in extra time.

Reactions: Kjbert
That’s a good win with a new coach, losing villa, and the other missing parts. Johnson made a bad mistake but it was only so glaring cuz he makes so few.

I was really hoping Villa could bury that backheel from Ring, would’ve been legendary after Flickgate

Had my daughter at the game so I didn’t focus 100% on the action (but probably more then when I’m drunk). two quick thoughts.

Berget finally finished but I still think he sucks. And I am glad we don’t hand over possession for the last 20-30 minutes like patty did. We still tried to control the ball and play keep away.

Very interesting tactical choices. Looks like we played a 442 with Berget man-marking Bradley and Maxi on the wing. Bradley never had the opportunity to turn and make a pass up field. Maxi shifted inside after the Villa sub. Ring also looked like he had leeway to get forward.

Will try to summarize my feelings about a guy who scored a brace yet still disappointed later.

For now:

Looked a lot better when Ring moved into midfield. He's a perfectly capable CB, which is testament to how talented he is, but he really is outstanding in the middle.

Maxi Moralez was MOTM, yet again. Pure delight to watch.

Jo Inge Berget: good football player!

When does Villa start getting the same "made out of glass" reputation as Mata?

Ofori's looking a lot better these days.

It took me a bit to adjust to what Domè may or may not yet be doing differently (and maybe I'm still seeing it wrong), but what I seemed to see was that when out of possession we would drop into a 4-4-2, and then in possession we went to something like a 4-2-3-1 during the first half and then some bonkers sort of 1-wide 2-2-4 craziness during the second half.

Beyond that, the biggest change seemed to be that it is now Ring who has the so-called "free 8" role rather than Maxi. I was never happy with using Maxi that way. Ring seems to be better suited to it, but I worry that we are trading out employing him as a terrific 6 for the sake of an experiment. Then again, we scored two unanswered goals in the second half, so...

Also Toronto was terrible.

Domè spoke to Perez on the sideline a lot during the match. Though, I didn't notice any tactical changes, just more intensity and quick passes up the field.

Glaring misses by Moralez 1v1 with the keeper and Villa with an open net hitting the side of the net. Really want to see the expected goals chart of this one.

Johnson's mistake was glaring though he made up for it saving Rickett's shot in the 90+2. The sun wasn't an issue but he did slightly hesitate. It's something I've never seen at Yankee Stadium by any club, any year. So, I'll call that a once in a blue moon mistake.

Jorge Gonzalez was the VAR today. Elfath was the referee. That's a handball. We deserved a penalty.

Domè was talking a lot to the players, especially Medina. I think he's high of Medina. He really wanted him to get the ball.

I will totally accept McNamara as a human victory cigar substitution.

I'd give the match :pineapple: :pineapple: :pineapple: out of five pineapples.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Berget was actually quite good all match, but hey, go ahead and pile onto him. If you want to discuss atrocious, talk about Medina as our third DP.
I was sitting 212 right behind the goal for the first half. Berget has some awful passes. Horrible turnover and killed multiple dangerous attacks. The whole area was booing him. This might have been his best game, but that doesn’t make him good.

Gotham Gator Gotham Gator as a fellow Gator fan, I would have thought you could recognize bad football when you see it!